What size winch for the Big Red MUV?

atvsnowman

atvsnowman

Mar 28, 2013
Subject says it all.
I don't get stuck often, I'm not a mad mudder like some. Mostly need it to run my winch and pull others out. I have only been stuck once in the Red and that was in the snow.

Reason I am asking is because WARN has put out 2 new line of winches called the PROVANTAGE and the VANTAGE. Both are upgrades from the RT and XT lines. The ProVantage line has a full metal case and gears. While the Vantage only says metal gears. Both offering wire rope and synthetic rope options.

The ProVantage is labeled "King of the Hill" by warn. It is the top of the line ATV/SXS winches. They are available between 2,500-4,500 lbs. They are built with premium parts and offer market-leading performance. Price range of $350-$650

While the Vantage is labeled "A Workhorse with Attitude". It comes in ranges between 2,000-4,000 lbs. Offering best-in-class performance at an affordable price. Price range of $200-$400

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks.

W36 904511

W36 890401

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the Honda SxS Forum and thanks for your post.

So.. With the 3500lb winch... do you think that 1806 lbs of pull is enough to pull that big rig out of a thick mud pit? If not you need to go with the 4500 winch.

A lot of people do no pay attention to the "pull by layer" factor. For each layer of rope/cable the pull strength weakens. Only when you wind the winch all the way out do you get the full pull. With only 5 ft of winch line out you can only pull at 2731 lbs with the 4500lb winch.
Here is the "pull by layer" factor on the ProV. 4500 warn.
Layer 1 - 4500 lbs
Layer 2 - 3780 lbs
Layer 3 - 3175 lbs
Layer 4 - 2731 lbs

Ultimately it is up to you and what you are willing to put into it.
Me. I'd pick the 3500 Vantage with synthetic rope and buy a good snatch block or 2. Remember, You can always double your pulling power with each snatch by making a pulley system.
Thanks.

R

Rinconman

Mar 7, 2013
The BR is huge.... you better get 2 of th 4500's. lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Fordman - U used it yet? Wondering how it pulled. I'm sure a 4k winch will work just fine.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
Only used once so far & it did a great job , I was pleased

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
I have the Aux battery & 4500 RT winch from dealer. I've used a lot. Needless to say, I've broken 2-metal winch ropes. I bought a 7K lbs. synthetic rope($80 from Amazon). I usually take a tow strap with me so I don't have to wrap rope around fixed pulling object, to prevent damage to rope. So far I've never been in a situation where the winch was under power...however, I have seen where if the machine isn't running, and your just in ACC Mode....the winch doesn't have enough power to do much. It has to be running off the alternator...that's my experience anyhow.

Reactions: Ollie
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I would go with a 4500lbs - better to have too much than not enough.
Also check out the Superwinch line - the Terra series is around $225 and has a lifetime guarantee. Had several warns and the Superwinch is easily equal in quality but the price is much better.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!