P1000 What upgrade path did you take? Would you change it?

D

Drose807

Sep 7, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I purchased my 2017 Honda Pioneer Deluxe in Blue last fall (peak used market pricing :( ). I think I got pretty lucky and found this gem at a dealer with less than 250 miles on it, it did have basic trail scratches but very low miles and hours.

The things that I have done to it so far since fall (to get ready for winter are):
  • Dual Battery Isolator Kit
  • Fuse Box
  • 5000lb KFI Winch
  • SATV Flip-up Windshield
  • KFI Snow Plow
  • New Switch Panels
  • Seatbelt Shut off Plug
  • HondaSXS Backup Lights
  • Honda Talon Wheels and Tires (from my dad's Talon)
  • New Door bushings (from amazon)
  • Rubber gas line around dump bed latch (prevent rattling)
  • Purchased a 2021 Carry-on Trailer to haul with and added E-Tracks (Pioneer Door does not open and hits side rail BARELY)
I've been itching to do more and have been doing my research on high clearance arms, shocks, and wheels and tires. I've come very close on pulling the trigger on new high clearance arms and have been side tracked into getting shocks. I simply cannot make up my mind on which to do first as each upgrade is between $1000-$2000.

So my question is, what upgrade path did you go with and why? Would you change it if you could go back in time? (Did you go with a-arms, shocks, wheels and tires or?)

My ultimate goal is to raise it up a little (mainly to fit bigger tires and clear my darn trailer side wall with my door when loading ha), add maybe up to 30" tires, but also make sure its a nice ride so when I take my 2 year old on the trails this summer, he's not hating life!

I've attached a few photos of my rig which includes some of the above mentioned items

1 2 3 4 5 6 11 22 33

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I purchased my 2017 Honda Pioneer Deluxe in Blue last fall (peak used market pricing :( ). I think I got pretty lucky and found this gem at a dealer with less than 250 miles on it, it did have basic trail scratches but very low miles and hours.

The things that I have done to it so far since fall (to get ready for winter are):
  • Dual Battery Isolator Kit
  • Fuse Box
  • 5000lb KFI Winch
  • SATV Flip-up Windshield
  • KFI Snow Plow
  • New Switch Panels
  • Seatbelt Shut off Plug
  • HondaSXS Backup Lights
  • Honda Talon Wheels and Tires (from my dad's Talon)
  • New Door bushings (from amazon)
  • Rubber gas line around dump bed latch (prevent rattling)
  • Purchased a 2021 Carry-on Trailer to haul with and added E-Tracks (Pioneer Door does not open and hits side rail BARELY)
I've been itching to do more and have been doing my research on high clearance arms, shocks, and wheels and tires. I've come very close on pulling the trigger on new high clearance arms and have been side tracked into getting shocks. I simply cannot make up my mind on which to do first as each upgrade is between $1000-$2000.

So my question is, what upgrade path did you go with and why? Would you change it if you could go back in time? (Did you go with a-arms, shocks, wheels and tires or?)

My ultimate goal is to raise it up a little (mainly to fit bigger tires and clear my darn trailer side wall with my door when loading ha), add maybe up to 30" tires, but also make sure its a nice ride so when I take my 2 year old on the trails this summer, he's not hating life!

I've attached a few photos of my rig which includes some of the above mentioned items

View attachment 378761 View attachment 378762 View attachment 378763 View attachment 378764 View attachment 378765 View attachment 378766 View attachment 378767 View attachment 378769 View attachment 378770
Nice rig 👍

What kind of trails are you mostly riding? Reason I ask is because I didn't see a Skid Plate on your list. That'd be pretty high on my list unless you keep it on black top or gravel roads mainly.

Also, how much clearance do you need for the door to open while loaded? Looks like it's really close to making it by the pics...if you keep the stock shocks (for now) you can add spring spacers for about $30 and gain almost 2" in height.

As far as the arms, wheels, and tires topic.....that kind of a do it all at once type thing in my opinion. Once you get the a-arms you'll want the wheels and tires to fill up the well. Another good mod if you want to keep little man more comfortable while riding is to get you a heat shield from @trigger along with installing a fan under the bench seat.

And...........well, the list goes on and on and on......😂😂😂

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree with the skid plate addition. I went with a Trail Armor which extends past the side bars about an inch. It's not like I'll ever need it but it's there if I need it. @trigger can get you setup with a rubber shield which goes under the seat. It gets rid of some heat and dust. I have been slow compared to others adding options. I initially went with a PBR switch plate and some switches,but have decided on a Crossroads 3D plate with an Aux-Beam 8 with fuse and relay panel.

D

Drose807

Sep 7, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Nice rig

What kind of trails are you mostly riding? Reason I ask is because I didn't see a Skid Plate on your list. That'd be pretty high on my list unless you keep it on black top or gravel roads mainly.

Also, how much clearance do you need for the door to open while loaded? Looks like it's really close to making it by the pics...if you keep the stock shocks (for now) you can add spring spacers for about $30 and gain almost 2" in height.

As far as the arms, wheels, and tires topic.....that kind of a do it all at once type thing in my opinion. Once you get the a-arms you'll want the wheels and tires to fill up the well. Another good mod if you want to keep little man more comfortable while riding is to get you a heat shield from @trigger along with installing a fan under the bench seat.

And...........well, the list goes on and on and on......

Thanks [mention]JenElio [/mention] !
I live in Northern PA so it’s all trail riding. No asphalt and I try to stay off lease roads. Lots of normal hilly trails with rocks, ruts, tree roots, etc. No real rock climbing but I get the skid plate idea! I was actually going to look into purchasing a sheet of 1/4 or 1/2 plastic if I can find a supplier and just recreating the stock one.

As for the clearance, it’s literally good when I’m not sitting in it but when I ride up in and try getting out, it hits. So that’s why I was starting to lean towards shocks today as I could buy some to adjust to get me up a bit more ha!

I also get the domino affect when it comes to arms, wheels, and tires. I’m just trying to plan things out as we did just add a new expense last year, camper and a seasonal site for my kid to be outside! I do plan on doing the heat shield this summer but those aren’t a big deal. It’s the $1-2k projects that I’m trying to plan on the right order! Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks [mention]JenElio [/mention] !
I live in Northern PA so it’s all trail riding. No asphalt and I try to stay off lease roads. Lots of normal hilly trails with rocks, ruts, tree roots, etc. No real rock climbing but I get the skid plate idea! I was actually going to look into purchasing a sheet of 1/4 or 1/2 plastic if I can find a supplier and just recreating the stock one.

As for the clearance, it’s literally good when I’m not sitting in it but when I ride up in and try getting out, it hits. So that’s why I was starting to lean towards shocks today as I could buy some to adjust to get me up a bit more ha!

I also get the domino affect when it comes to arms, wheels, and tires. I’m just trying to plan things out as we did just add a new expense last year, camper and a seasonal site for my kid to be outside! I do plan on doing the heat shield this summer but those aren’t a big deal. It’s the $1-2k projects that I’m trying to plan on the right order! Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it!

You can save some money by doing a DIY skid, for your type of environment I'd buy a sheet of 1/2" UHMW and go with it. Don't follow the OEM template, that leaves a lot of areas unprotected. Use the search bar up top, there's a thread here where a member shared a file with dimensions to a DIY skid. You can take it to a print shop and they'll print a full template you can use, that's how I did mine 👍.

If all your main concern right now is clearance for the trailer then I would suggest shocks first (if spring spacers aren't a thought) you can adjust preload as you like and still have a nice(er) ride. You can also fit upto 28's without a-arms, that'll also give you some ground clearance vs stocks.

FYI, Rough Country came out with some adjustable shocks for the P1K for about $700. Better then stock but I'm sure not as good as fox or others

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can save some money by doing a DIY skid, for your type of environment I'd buy a sheet of 1/2" UHMW and go with it. Don't follow the OEM template, that leaves a lot of areas unprotected. Use the search bar up top, there's a thread here where a member shared a file with dimensions to a DIY skid. You can take it to a print shop and they'll print a full template you can use, that's how I did mine 👍.

If all your main concern right now is clearance for the trailer then I would suggest shocks first (if spring spacers aren't a thought) you can adjust preload as you like and still have a nice(er) ride. You can also fit upto 28's without a-arms, that'll also give you some ground clearance vs stocks.

FYI, Rough Country came out with some adjustable shocks for the P1K for about $700. Better then stock but I'm sure not as good as fox or others

I'd actually disagree with this. 3/8" UHMW has been enough for me and I used the OEM skid plate as a template. I also carried it all the way to the front and added side plates under each rock slider.

For ride quality, I think the longer wheel base and 30" tires make as much of a difference as shocks. Yes it will ride better with shocks but if you can't add height, I'd start with offset arms and 30" tires. These machines really roll over stuff better on 30s.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'd actually disagree with this. 3/8" UHMW has been enough for me and I used the OEM skid plate as a template. I also carried it all the way to the front and added side plates under each rock slider.

For ride quality, I think the longer wheel base and 30" tires make as much of a difference as shocks. Yes it will ride better with shocks but if you can't add height, I'd start with offset arms and 30" tires. These machines really roll over stuff better on 30s.
Agreed, with most of that.
What I meant by don't follow that OEM template is just that. You didn't cause you went "bigger" then OEM (what I recommend) if he does a replica of the OEM it's just reinforcing what little that covers just better, leaves A LOT unprotected.

The OP said he mainly wanted the improved height to clear his trailer, so just a-arms won't fix that unless they have a built in lift. He said he's trying to prioritize his spending, and yes I definitely agree the arms and bigger tires make the machine waaay batter. I can't comment on if the ride is just as good with or without good shocks cause I'm still running the cheap stockers🙄

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So did you decide on your next project, @Drose807?

I'd go skid plate, shocks (e.g., Fox QS3 to gain some height), and SuperATV high-clearance a-arms, the latter two at the same time if possible, as your 30" tires will appreciate that.

I recently found an older thread here on reinforcing the weak design of the upper a-arm mounts on the P1K, so you might want to look into that and reinforce that area (before you do your a-arm swap) to avoid a future damage and repair bill.

D

Drose807

Sep 7, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
[mention]Scoop [/mention]
I was actually getting ready to hit the trails for the first time today as nice weather has finally found it’s way to PA. I originally never considered a skid plate as I was trying to go for looks and function. However it makes complete sense to go with a skid first so I will start with that. I haven’t done much research in what’s out there for those and I did try locating a supplier to make a custom one, but I don’t have a supplier within 3 hours of my location so it may just be easier to buy one. Any suggestions would be great!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!