P1000 WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH HIGH ALTITIUDE RIDING ON A 1000

J

JTW

I’ll leave you with this... this years ride in Moab we had 3 Krx’s and 3 pioneers.. on the trip up to the la sal mountains all 3 of the pioneers over heated multiple times. Our machines aren’t exactly stock anymore but nothing too extreme either. My point being... I just want you to be aware of what you’re buying and the potential issues you’ll have. It sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. And many of the comments here aren’t wrong... it’s just about prerogative and what you plan to do. I started with a p500 for a month and then quickly realized that wasn’t the machine for me. I took my loss and traded on a PK5.. I bought it thinking it was a great all around rig with room for the family and no belt. All that is still true. But what I came to realize is while that’s great it still isn’t the machine for me with where I am now. My sxs is for trail riding.. that’s what I use it for. If you’re looking for a trail machine. Look at the sport machines over the pioneer. I would prefer a talon for trail riding. But make no mistake. There are things you’ll need to do to any of them. Some just more than others.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL......my first belt driven machine was a HONDA. Odyssey. It was not even close to being stock with zero belt issues other than slipping when crossing water. Have had a lot of sleds and belter ATVs since than. Never ever had a failure issue with a belt driven machine. Honda shifting and clutching is the shiz for sure. That said, I'd rather burn a belt than a Honda clutch pack if it came down to it.

J

JTW

LOL......my first belt driven machine was a HONDA. Odyssey. It was not even close to being stock with zero belt issues other than slipping when crossing water. Have had a lot of sleds and belter ATVs since than. Never ever had a failure issue with a belt driven machine. Honda shifting and clutching is the shiz for sure. That said, I'd rather burn a belt than a Honda clutch pack if it came down to it.
Exactly.. the dct would be the s*** if factory low was actually LOW!!

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I’ll leave you with this... this years ride in Moab we had 3 Krx’s and 3 pioneers.. on the trip up to the la sal mountains all 3 of the pioneers over heated multiple times. Our machines aren’t exactly stock anymore but nothing too extreme either. My point being... I just want you to be aware of what you’re buying and the potential issues you’ll have. It sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. And many of the comments here aren’t wrong... it’s just about prerogative and what you plan to do. I started with a p500 for a month and then quickly realized that wasn’t the machine for me. I took my loss and traded on a PK5.. I bought it thinking it was a great all around rig with room for the family and no belt. All that is still true. But what I came to realize is while that’s great it still isn’t the machine for me with where I am now. My sxs is for trail riding.. that’s what I use it for. If you’re looking for a trail machine. Look at the sport machines over the pioneer. I would prefer a talon for trail riding. But make no mistake. There are things you’ll need to do to any of them. Some just more than others.

After riding all those dusty roads you have to clean your radiator out before riding in high elevations.

Reactions: Biteme
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Never ever had a failure issue with a belt driven machine. Honda shifting and clutching is the shiz for sure. That said, I'd rather burn a belt than a Honda clutch pack if it came down to it.

I've said this many times. The only belt I've ever broke was a Polaris ranger (not my machine) that was caused by a flywheel issue. Ive had many belt machines with no issues. Ive raced belt machines without issue.
I've had 2 pioneers and like the dct, but I'd rather fix a belt in 15 min and keep going than destroy a dct clutch and be dead in the water.

Last edited:
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly.. the dct would be the s*** if factory low was actually LOW!!
Have to admit the first time I got the Pioneer in a compromising situation it was with tracks and in deep snow. Not stuck, but tried to power out in reverse. The DCT shudder was sickening. We chose foward low and learned a machine limitation lesson. Still wouldn't trade it for anything.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
They were clean...

any bumpers winches or anything reducing air flow ? I know they will overheat I've seen it but must of the time something is blocking air flow or just too much engine lugging in high gear, use low range when needed, full skid plate coverage DRASTICALY also reduces air flow, the under the seat fan helps with that. Also didn't they fix the fan switch problem ? I myself have never overheated carrying 350 lbs in the cab and another 200 or more in the bed.

Reactions: Biteme and JTW
advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
any bumpers winches or anything reducing air flow ? I know they will overheat I've seen it but must of the time something is blocking air flow or just too much engine lugging in high gear, use low range when needed, full skid plate coverage DRASTICALY also reduces air flow, the under the seat fan helps with that. Also didn't they fix the fan switch problem ? I myself have never overheated carrying 350 lbs in the cab and another 200 or more in the bed.
Only one time had i gotten over 2 bar previous to the Trip @JTW mentioned. I over heated pretty quick going up the mountain road and I believe the temp was in the 40's that day too. Radiator was clean.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

You're really not getting it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
you da man, enlighten us all keeper of the wisdom
Oh ok, be a jackass dude, I really don't care. There's an entire thread on the subject. Others have tried to help you understand and you don't care to. I'm not wasting my time. Clearly, ignorance is bliss. ✌

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Oh ok, be a jackass dude, I really don't care. There's an entire thread on the subject. Others have tried to help you understand and you don't care to. I'm not wasting my time. Clearly, ignorance is bliss. ✌

Can you help me understand exactly what YOU think I don't understand ? You're confusing me. Did you read the title ? I'd be more than happy to explain anything to you. I have years of experience and a good grasp of geometry physics and how they work. I could give you credentials but I think that would just be bragging. Now do you need help with something ?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can you help me understand exactly what YOU think I don't understand ? You're confusing me. Did you read the title ? I'd be more than happy to explain anything to you. I have years of experience and a good grasp of geometry physics and how they work. I could give you credentials but I think that would just be bragging. Now do you need help with something ?
Before you begin. Is that "geometry physics" or geometry AND physics?

• Haha
Reactions: TimG and JTW
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The KRX is a long travel sport model. Kawasaki quality is good but the belt drive is a deal breaker for me and I would buy the talon x live valve and fix the air intake location. Like the guys said I would buy the fan switch if you buy the Pioneer 1000. I have had 3 of them and my buddy bought my 2016 with 19,000 miles on it with just $40.00 in repair parts and he has near 30,000 miles on it now.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!