P1000m5 Wheel question. Tried searching.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in the process of getting the Pioneer street legal here in WV and I’m ready for state safety inspection. Being ready for inspection and ready to be comfortable are 2 different things. While I can run the stock big horns legally on the road, I don’t want to due to wear and noise. So, I want a set for off-road and a set for on. I’ve had this thing for 3 years and only have 300ish miles on the thing (I’m really looking forward to get this thing on the road) just messing around on the farm and basically just using it as a golf cart to shuttle people (tractors do most of the work).

On to my question, since I want to be able to swap out the wheels/tires on command, I want an aftermarket set of rims that will keep the stock dimensions and no wheel spacers. I’m not concerned with keeping the wheels the same width front/rear and will stick to narrow front wide rear the same as stock. I’ve found a set of wheels with the following specs:

Honda Pioneer 1000 Wheels: 4/137 pattern, 14x6 offset is 4+2, 14x8 offset is 5+3

Pairing those with the 27x9/14 and 27x11/14 stock dimension tires (bfg km3)

Will this get me close to stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m in the process of getting the Pioneer street legal here in WV and I’m ready for state safety inspection. Being ready for inspection and ready to be comfortable are 2 different things. While I can run the stock big horns legally on the road, I don’t want to due to wear and noise. So, I want a set for off-road and a set for on. I’ve had this thing for 3 years and only have 300ish miles on the thing (I’m really looking forward to get this thing on the road) just messing around on the farm and basically just using it as a golf cart to shuttle people (tractors do most of the work).

On to my question, since I want to be able to swap out the wheels/tires on command, I want an aftermarket set of rims that will keep the stock dimensions and no wheel spacers. I’m not concerned with keeping the wheels the same width front/rear and will stick to narrow front wide rear the same as stock. I’ve found a set of wheels with the following specs:

Honda Pioneer 1000 Wheels: 4/137 pattern, 14x6 offset is 4+2, 14x8 offset is 5+3

The fronts are 6.5 inches wide so that's as close as you can get. You could just buy a set of OEM wheels and use the tires you have listed. Can usually find them pretty cheap.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 1000-3 is street legal. I'm running 15 x 7 wheels with Super Swampers. I have spacers in the rear. It sure makes things handy for rotating the tires as they wear from running them on pavement. I also recommend the SATV a-arms. They allow you to adjust the camber as well as the toe in. I had mine machine aligned and all tires balanced and they wear perfectly and don't shake at all.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fronts are 6.5 inches wide so that's as close as you can get. You could just buy a set of OEM wheels and use the tires you have listed. Can usually find them pretty cheap.

I have explored buying oem and have yet to find a used set and buying them new is $200 a wheel (plus tax and shipping).

My question mainly is will the rim width AND offset for both the front and rear if that set be close to factory specs?

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1000-3 is street legal. I'm running 15 x 7 wheels with Super Swampers. I have spacers in the rear. It sure makes things handy for rotating the tires as they wear from running them on pavement. I also recommend the SATV a-arms. They allow you to adjust the camber as well as the toe in. I had mine machine aligned and all tires balanced and they wear perfectly and don't shake at all.

I want to avoid spacers to be able to swap these out easily. I would hate to locktite spacers in and have to remove them seasonally. I don’t plan on roading in “mud season” (October through April).

Are there no adjustments for alignment with the stock a-arms? Seems like that is a design flaw if so.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As an alternative, I have found take off Talon wheels….will those work to keep me close to factory width without spacers?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my opinion, I would just buy some some aftermarket 5+2 rims with 1” spacers in the rear. Then buy some A/T tires (lots of options). With this set up you can run on the pavement nice and smooth ( a lot of these tires are DOT approved) and off road in mud, rock, sand etc. and not worry about having to swap for different applications. With this setup you can rotate for even wear. With the amount of miles you put on this setup would last you a very long time.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my opinion, I would just buy some some aftermarket 5+2 rims with 1” spacers in the rear. Then buy some A/T tires (lots of options). With this set up you can run on the pavement nice and smooth ( a lot of these tires are DOT approved) and off road in mud, rock, sand etc. and not worry about having to swap for different applications. With this setup you can rotate for even wear. With the amount of miles you put on this setup would last you a very long time.
View attachment 317461

Since I’m making it street legal, this will be my primary “non mud season” vehicle. I work from home. I’ve got plenty of places to run on the road with this in my non work time and expect to put a few thousand miles on it a year going forward.

I’m not concerned about the price of anything and would just like 2 separate sets much like I have separate winter wheels and studded tires for my vehicles. Time is my enemy. I take a car to have tires changed out on rims, it’s minimum 4 hours. The closest tire shop is at least 30 minutes away (and that’s driving on the interstate).

While I would rather just put a streetable tire on my pioneer factory rims, mud season requires mud tires.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I’m not concerned about the price of anything and would just like 2 separate sets much like I have separate winter wheels and studded tires for my vehicles.
If price is no object, why not just buy two identical sets of aftermarket wheels and put the two different styles of tires on them? If that means installing a spacer, you won't have to worry about removing it when you swap out.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I went with 6+1 front and 4+3 rear. No Spacers needed. 7 inch wide System 3 SB4 wheels and 28-10X14 RT320 DOT Tires all around.

Stock is 6+1 offset front and 5+3 offset rear. I didn't want spacers as they are just another point of maintenance, expense and possible problems. I was also concerned about making the machine wider as we have gated trails around here and the gates are not that wide. Stock width machines pass through, but with little clearance. View attachment 317489

Reactions: Lady01
X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with 6+1 front and 4+3 rear. No Spacers needed. 7 inch wide System 3 SB4 wheels and 28-10X14 RT320 DOT Tires all around.

Are those real beadlock wheels? I can’t run real bead locks on the street.

Anyone know of this combination, 6+1 and 4+3 (or 5+2) in any other manufacturer non beadlock?

I can pick up used talon wheels for like $300, they’re well used, but the problem then becomes finding the tires. I can only find a Maxxis Ceros in 27x9/11-15 and the 28’s are just as hard to find.

I’m about to bite the bullet and just spend $200+ per factory wheel at the dealer. Bummer. All the used ones I’ve found are either beat to heck or people want retail $$ for them.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are those real beadlock wheels? I can’t run real bead locks on the street.

Anyone know of this combination, 6+1 and 4+3 (or 5+2) in any other manufacturer non beadlock?
Yes, these are Real Beadlocks. System 3 makes the same wheel in a "Faux" beadlock in 5+2 (for sure) and maybe others as well. I did not research this wheel to look for other offsets, since I was wanting beadlock wheel. Look for System 3 Offroad "ST3" as the make/model of the wheel.

View attachment 317514

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a set of 1000-5 Deluxe wheels, not perfect but very good shape. Center caps and lugs as well. Mounted with 4 BIGHORN 2.0 (6 ply) in stock sizes. Tires have 60-75% tread, no plugs or damage. These would make a "standard" Pioneer 1000 very happy. Problem is I am here in Arkansas.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a set of 1000-5 Deluxe wheels, not perfect but very good shape. Center caps and lugs as well. Mounted with 4 BIGHORN 2.0 (6 ply) in stock sizes. Tires have 60-75% tread, no plugs or damage. These would make a "standard" Pioneer 1000 very happy. Problem is I am here in Arkansas.

If you figure out a price you want to sell them for including shipping (I have no need for the tires so it would be cheaper to ship just the wheel) I may take you up on it. I don’t have plans of going to arkansas any time soon.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I want to avoid spacers to be able to swap these out easily. I would hate to locktite spacers in and have to remove them seasonally. I don’t plan on roading in “mud season” (October through April).

Are there no adjustments for alignment with the stock a-arms? Seems like that is a design flaw if so.

There is no camber adjustment on stock a-arms.

X

xmountaineer

May 14, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found some brand new deluxe wheels and tires $600. I’m trying to piece together a chain to get them to me (WV) from NC. My brother is picking them up for me on the first leg. Then I’ll have to go visit or see if they can hitch a ride with someone else headed up this way. I don’t need them until next fall anyway.

Would have never have found them if not for this forum pointing me to a group on Facebook.

Thanks all!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!