Texas-Hunter

The Cute One..
Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2018
Lone Star State
www.smoked-meat.com
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, the wife and I drove out to our lake house in East Texas to drop off a few items and when I turned around from closing the back door on the truck and looked up, I said AWESOME.. "Looks like I have a few weekends worth of work ahead of me" One of my 100' plus pines decided to up root and fall over last weekend in the high winds they were having along with the ground saturated.

I am not looking forward to doing this.. Plus there is a 150' dead pine about 20' from this one and still standing in all it's glory.. Why did that one not blow over.. Seems I would more at the lake house and not relaxing and enjoying it as it was intended..
IMG 4032
IMG 4033
IMG 4034
IMG 4035
IMG 4036
IMG 4037
IMG 4038
IMG 4039

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, the wife and I drove out to our lake house in East Texas to drop off a few items and when I turned around from closing the back door on the truck and looked up, I said AWESOME.. "Looks like I have a few weekends worth of work ahead of me" One of my 100' plus pines decided to up root and fall over last weekend in the high winds they were having along with the ground saturated.

I am not looking forward to doing this.. Plus there is a 150' dead pine about 20' from this one and still standing in all it's glory.. Why did that one not blow over.. Seems I would more at the lake house and not relaxing and enjoying it as it was intended.. View attachment 109920 View attachment 109921 View attachment 109922 View attachment 109923 View attachment 109924 View attachment 109925 View attachment 109926 View attachment 109927
The dead one isn't sucking up all that water and getting too heavy for its root system.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My parent’s lake house experience = Same.
Growing up, a lake house or vacation home was unfathomable.

Later in life, my parents reached the point where they could afford a reasonable place. Grandchildren proved to provide lots of influence.

But after the first year, and the new wore off. We didn’t show up as consistently every weekend. Fishing/swimming slowed.

Eventually, about the only thing Dad mentioned of the lake house was the “grass needed cut”, the “garbage needed taken to the road”. This was in extra chores in addition to their regular house. And the lake house was about an hour away.

After dealing w it for 5 years, they sold. We all felt the weight lift.

What I learned from the experience... You NEVER have perishable foods like milk, bread, and eggs in the refrigerator when you needed them. Afraid to buy / just spoils while you’re away.

Plus, it was nothing to find other ppls fishing tackle left on the dock. My parents couldn’t rest for the sake of worry.

Went through a couple close calls on flooding, too.

Sheesh.

So I get it. If you can’t afford to have someone over see and do regular maintenance in your absence... A lake house can have quite the opposite effect on your playtime. Work.

Take an outrageous vacation every year... instead.

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
Texas-Hunter

Texas-Hunter

The Cute One..
Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2018
Lone Star State
www.smoked-meat.com
Ownership

1. 700-2
My parent’s lake house experience = Same.
Growing up, a lake house or vacation home was unfathomable.

Later in life, my parents reached the point where they could afford a reasonable place. Grandchildren proved to provide lots of influence.

But after the first year, and the new wore off. We didn’t show up as consistently every weekend. Fishing/swimming slowed.

Eventually, about the only thing Dad mentioned of the lake house was the “grass needed cut”, the “garbage needed taken to the road”. This was in extra chores in addition to their regular house. And the lake house was about an hour away.

After dealing w it for 5 years, they sold. We all felt the weight lift.

What I learned from the experience... You NEVER have perishable foods like milk, bread, and eggs in the refrigerator when you needed them. Afraid to buy / just spoils while you’re away.

Plus, it was nothing to find other ppls fishing tackle left on the dock. My parents couldn’t rest for the sake of worry.

Went through a couple close calls on flooding, too.

Sheesh.

So I get it. If you can’t afford to have someone over see and do regular maintenance in your absence... A lake house can have quite the opposite effect on your playtime. Work.

Take an outrageous vacation every year... instead.

I hear you, sometimes it does seem like a beating, but this is my retirement home, at least the land is. We plan on taking this old lake house down in a few years 4-5 and build our new one a year or so before I call it quits or I slow down a bit and get the hell out of the type of work I am in now I get to deal with the small stuff.. Maybe become a old grumpy Walmart greeter?? Here's your basket get your chit and get out..

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hear you, sometimes it does seem like a beating, but this is my retirement home, at least the land is. We plan on taking this old lake house down in a few years 4-5 and build our new one a year or so before I call it quits or I slow down a bit and get the hell out of the type of work I am in now I get to deal with the small stuff.. Maybe become a old grumpy Walmart greeter?? Here's your basket get your chit and get out..
Now I could sell everything and MOVE to a lake house.
That cuts down on the chores, and ups the benefits!

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know a guy in KY that can fix you up with a lake house where you don’t even have to worry about trees falling!
Hey buddy. Sorry bout that. I wasn’t aiming be a jerk. Just a side effect.
Shelle and I dream of living on a lake. Eventually. When kids are gone and we FIRE.

My parent’s experience did shed some light on some things for me to think about. Armed with this new insight, I ran to the Hondasxs forum as fast as I could... lol
They did turn a profit on the place when they sold it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thankfully no one was hurt!! No question you will be spending some quality time outside, and hopefully you are able to burn it there vs. the need to load and take it elsewhere. Hopefully you have access to a tractor as well...

Texas-Hunter

Texas-Hunter

The Cute One..
Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2018
Lone Star State
www.smoked-meat.com
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’ve sold places to folks from China, India, New Zealand, Germany and all across the US... you can’t put a price or area code on a slice of heaven!

Trust me I can, This lake has more meaning to me than any place you can try and sell to me on the planet. I grew up on this lake when I was a kid fishing it with my grandmother and father in the 60's and 70's. The memories I have with my family here are priceless. So the hour and half drive from Dallas is an easy drive and the work I have to do out here is a labor of love. Plus if I bought a lake house with no issue with trees, would that not be a beach house :confused:??

Reactions: JTW
Texas-Hunter

Texas-Hunter

The Cute One..
Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2018
Lone Star State
www.smoked-meat.com
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thankfully no one was hurt!! No question you will be spending some quality time outside, and hopefully you are able to burn it there vs. the need to load and take it elsewhere. Hopefully you have access to a tractor as well...

I will have my hands full cutting this one up. The base trunk of this tree is around 20'' so all I can do his haul it off to the dump here in town. They have not type of land fill in this small town. The rest of the tree will be cut up for fire wood for the outdoor fire pit, at least it will have damn near a full year to season and dry out..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!