P500 When it's time for 4 wheel drive....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shifted all four of our Pioneers on the fly without as much as a thought. Turf mode all the way through diff lock, I’m not stopping to shift. Somewhere around 15k combined, broke a lot of other s*** but no shift related issues here. Not saying you’re supposed to but it’ll engage smoothly. I make sure I’m not turning or spinning a tire and slightly easy up on the throttle like a manual in a truck. But that’s me in my machine.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I suspected I could shift on the fly as long as all wheels were turning the same speed. Probably will only do this in those emergency "oh crap" moments.
There ya go. Usually slow down at big mud holes to pick my line and shift. And if you ever consider adding the Torqmaster locker, it’s even more amazing what that true 4wd does in the rough situations.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
The P5 Owner's manual says, "You should change drive modes only when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is idling...Changing drive modes while the vehicle is moving could damage the drivetrain." See page 37 of the manual for more info. HTH :)
It says could, not will. They print that because most people would damage the drivetrain otherwise. If the driver is aware of what is happening inside, and makes sure there is no load on the drivetrain, it will cause no damage.

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
It seems like the P5 computer decides when to actually engage the 4WD. If that's the case, you probably can't hurt it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The 4WD shift arm on the front differential does have a spring on the shifter cable for a little play while the gears mesh. The same spring that I almost forgot when installing the front locker. 2017+ Computers only handle shifts in the auto mode or to down shift when slowing down in manual mode. 4WD engagement is pure mechanical by the driver. Computers also retard the engine briefly during shifts, that little hesitation at shifts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!