P500 Which antifreeze ?

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Which antifreeze would you buy to put in the reservoir ,buying at either a parts store or Wal mart.
One without silicates per manual

can I mix what I buy with what came from the factory ?

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Ditto to the above.

Years ago, with having formal training in auto mechanics, I figured " anti-freeze is anti-freeze" and I ran that in my 1986 TRX 250R. When I had to do a major over-haul on the engine back in 2003 (not the fault of the coolant - piston skirt broke off the piston), my riding buddy of the last 5 years, who was formerly a trained Honda technician, helped me with the rebuild and explained to me why I should run the Honda oils and coolant in these machines. The biggest reason was the fact that the coolant only touches rubber and aluminum in most of these machines. Automotive coolant was designed to be "happy" with copper, steel, cast iron, aluminum, rubber and plastic. When we had the engine apart of my 250R, he pointed out pitting in the water pump housing, impeller and cylinder head, along with deposits in the crevasses from the automotive coolant. Since then, I've only run the Honda coolant, or my friend is also using the Evans' Coolant in his race 450R.

If you are looking for convenience for getting coolant, and cannot get to you local dealer to buy some, you can get the Honda coolant from many of the on-line parts sites, then shipped to your door. Looks like you can even get it from Amazon!

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys I will run the Honda coolant

Curious does the sae apply to jut using Honda Oil ??

Reactions: Lady01 and Dave75
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Oil is a different subject: once again you do not want to use just any automotive oil. You should look for one that is formulated for aluminum engines, or better yet- an oil specific for motorcycle / ATV / UTV engines. Again, I will also point out that the Honda stuff is good! I think my former Honda Tech friend said that he believes Mobil manufactures the Honda oil products for them. I'll speak from experience that the Honda HP Pro Transmission Oil has cured "notchy" or sticking clutch issues in many 2-stroke dirt bikes and ATV's. I run Honda oils in all my quads and 3-wheelers.

Now my P500 has Golden Spectro full synthetic in it, because the previous owner switched it to that at the first service interval. So I just stuck with it. It is again a oil that is designed for aluminum ATV/UTV engines.

You will also find several people on this site that are running Shell Rotella Oil in the engine and Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in the differentials of these machines. I hold nothing against the Rotella - have always run that in my Diesels as well as know many people who have in their commercial vehicles - most with over 300K on the engines. As well as the Mobil (see above) for they claim it has quieted gear noise coming from the differentials.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use and still do use Prestone foreign car blue antifreeze. Same as the Honda stuff but cost much less. Plus u can get it at your local auto parts store

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the Honda blue coolant but instead of buying it at the Honda power sports parts counter in the tiny jug that costs a fortune I went over to their automotive parts counter and bought a gallon. From what I could find on the internet it's the same thing as the powersports version but much cheaper by the gallon. I don't remember the comparative costs now but I seem to remember it being at least 50% less per fluid ounce.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!