Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
With the recent addition of a spare tire, I must now decide on which jack to carry. I could get a Hi-Lift mount (already have that jack) for $50 or I could get a Tusk scissor jack and mount for slightly more. Each option has pros and cons. What do you guys think?

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
The one you don't have to use...

Reactions: Tflynn
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The best Jack is "silver select". Oh wait, you meant a mechanical device....

Reactions: Gator and Tflynn
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the scissor jack has its weight advantage but the Hi-Lift is more useful.
Difficult decision. I own a hi-lift but don't plan to carry it on the trail.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah the hi-lift is way more versatile for sure. My only problem with it is weight and then I'd always have to carry WD-40 with me too because the damn things don't work without it! But that might not be a bad thing to have handy.

So what exactly is the difference between a regular hi lift and the utv hi lift anyway?

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I would go with a hi-lift all the way. I didn't know they had a shorter UTV one. Try putting some water on your pins, that has worked for me in my jeep to get them to work before when they wanted to be sticky. And usually you have a bottle of water with you. Hell one time we even used Budlight but its pretty close to water anyways.

At least with a hi-lift you have a backup winch and they work good as a clamp or to straighten bent things too.

Last edited:
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I may have to get that one. The one I have is 42" tall I think? It's huge and heavy.
If its the normal Jeep one I think they are 48" If you know you're not going to use it for anything else you can take a hack saw to that one and shorten it to whatever size you want. The slider pin kits are super cheap too. like 17 bucks Jack Repair Kit

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
If its the normal Jeep one I think they are 48" If you know you're not going to use it for anything else you can take a hack saw to that one and shorten it to whatever size you want. The slider pin kits are super cheap too. like 17 bucks Jack Repair Kit
Thanks for the link.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
With the recent addition of a spare tire, I must now decide on which jack to carry. I could get a Hi-Lift mount (already have that jack) for $50 or I could get a Tusk scissor jack and mount for slightly more. Each option has pros and cons. What do you guys think?
neither

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
No problem. I used to keep a kit with me in the jeep for some reason. At least they are dirt cheap. I think some auto parts stores even have them every no and then.
I would also highly recommend getting the hi-lift or daystar jack isolater bushing. It keeps everything from rattling and also helps keep the handle from getting lost. Jack Handle Isolator

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wonder if anyones every tried one of these for a UTV Bushranger Inflatable X-Jack
Yeah I don't know about those. Everything I read says they work great I just think in the off-road world, those aren't going to last too long. I like to buy stuff that can last forever or at least close. I guess most of us do that's why we're on the Honda forum!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully you won't need one but either one will get you back to camp

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think if you look through Jackal's Baby Honda build (500) he has one of the shorter high lift jacks strapped on the back. If I was to pursue one, this would be the way I would go. But my Rig is for only going to church on Sunday with my Grandma rig. LOL.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had to use one to get out of the mud. I was wishing it were longer.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!