Which Pioneer?

P

Pokey

Jul 16, 2016
Benton,Ar
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello all. New guy here, been trolling for a while, but this is my first post. Fixing to sell my current ride and going with Honda next. I've drove the 700 and 1000 at dealers, and you can't get enough real world for them there, but my initial reaction is I like the 700 better. I've read some of the complaints of the 700 lacking in mud and on hills, so my first question is do the folks with the 700 think the new paddle shifters will help overcome this since you can hold it in first gear? I do a decent amount of mud riding on the lease in south Arkansas, nothing 27" or 28" moderate all terrain/mud tires won't handle, and a few hills on the power lines and stuff. 2nd question might be dumb, but the guys who had 700's and bought 1000's, why did you upgrade? Were you wanting the biggest and the best, or would the 700 with paddles helped your decision to stay with it? BTW, most of my riding is at our deer lease, hauling 5-6 sacks of corn, 2-3 folks around having a few cold ones. We don't go looking for holes, but when we run into them we go through them. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all. New guy here, been trolling for a while, but this is my first post. Fixing to sell my current ride and going with Honda next. I've drove the 700 and 1000 at dealers, and you can't get enough real world for them there, but my initial reaction is I like the 700 better. I've read some of the complaints of the 700 lacking in mud and on hills, so my first question is do the folks with the 700 think the new paddle shifters will help overcome this since you can hold it in first gear? I do a decent amount of mud riding on the lease in south Arkansas, nothing 27" or 28" moderate all terrain/mud tires won't handle, and a few hills on the power lines and stuff. 2nd question might be dumb, but the guys who had 700's and bought 1000's, why did you upgrade? Were you wanting the biggest and the best, or would the 700 with paddles helped your decision to stay with it? BTW, most of my riding is at our deer lease, hauling 5-6 sacks of corn, 2-3 folks around having a few cold ones. We don't go looking for holes, but when we run into them we go through them. Thanks for any advice in advance!
Welcome to the club. The reason you probably like the 700 better is because that is the closest thing that you are used to. I would recommend that you get the 1000 and be done with it! There is a learning curve, but when you get used to it you will love it. It also will have the paddle shifters that you sound like you want anyways.

Reactions: joeymt33
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Keep in mind that while the 700 is a nice machine and it has some very useful features it is, at its heart, a Honda Rincon with a SXS body on it.

If you really like a Honda Rincon and think it would work well with 4 people, a dumping bed and a roll cage with lower gearing and a front locker then you will be fine with a P700.

I sold my Rincon to get the P1000. I think I would have been perfectly happy with the P700 but there were things about my Rincon that I didn't like and some of those carried over into the P700 and the things I liked didn't so I never even bothered to test drive one although looking back I probably should have.

If you have ridden both and like the features of the P700 then I would definitely go with the 2017 model with the shifters. I used the ESP on my Rincon a lot to keep it from shifting at the wrong time and it was very useful and one of the reasons I scratched the 2016 P700 off my list because that was one of the things I liked most about my Rincon.

Reactions: jawquin

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good news is it will be a Pioneer. Loved my 500 and love my 1000. Almost got the 700, but went all in and haven't looked back. I had to have turf mode. I might be in a 700 if it had had turf mode and paddles in 2016.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I sold my P700 and love the P1000! Here is a list of the differences I really liked.

Better ride

Turf mode. saves tire wear, saves your yard, handles tight trails better

OEM power steering. You'll want that no matter which vehicle you get. It's now optional on the P700

More power to turn bigger tires

Can cruise at 45 without breaking a sweat. The P700 is wound out to the max at that speed

Over all height is shirts so it fits in garages easier. My P700 on 28" tires wouldn't fit in my garage but the P1000 on 30" tires does.

It can pop wheelies!

The times that I had the P700 in a bind where it wouldn't spin the tires was thick mud with multiple passengers or rocky steep hills where it would pull itself up. I had a fully loaded P700 and it had 28" tires. That's the max for my type of riding on the vehicle.

The paddle shifters would have not helped me get the wheels spinning because they could get started to begin with.

The P700 definitely has its advantages. It's super tough and reliable. It's priced a little cheaper, and its torque converter transmission is better suited for very slow speeds.

I recommend that you weigh out the pros and cons of each vehicle to help make your decision. We are happy to hear that you are going to buy a pioneer, regardless of which model it is.

Joe

D

Dasmoeturhead

Get the 1,000 if you can. It's a bad A$$ machine. Oh, and get the Red one, cuz there faster. Everyone knows that!

Reactions: sharp
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I sold my P700 and love the P1000! Here is a list of the differences I really liked.

Better ride

Turf mode. saves tire wear, saves your yard, handles tight trails better

OEM power steering. You'll want that no matter which vehicle you get. It's now optional on the P700

More power to turn bigger tires

Can cruise at 45 without breaking a sweat. The P700 is wound out to the max at that speed

Over all height is shirts so it fits in garages easier. My P700 on 28" tires wouldn't fit in my garage but the P1000 on 30" tires does.

It can pop wheelies!

The times that I had the P700 in a bind where it wouldn't spin the tires was thick mud with multiple passengers or rocky steep hills where it would pull itself up. I had a fully loaded P700 and it had 28" tires. That's the max for my type of riding on the vehicle.

The paddle shifters would have not helped me get the wheels spinning because they could get started to begin with.

The P700 definitely has its advantages. It's super tough and reliable. It's priced a little cheaper, and its torque converter transmission is better suited for very slow speeds.

I recommend that you weigh out the pros and cons of each vehicle to help make your decision. We are happy to hear that you are going to buy a pioneer, regardless of which model it is.

Joe

I was ready to jump in here and defend my 700. Then Joey had to go and say "It can pop wheelies".
NOW I WANT A 1000!

Go for the 4 seater or 5 seater. I have the 700-2 and there has been a couple times it would have been nice to be able to carry another person.

Truth is: I've had my 700 since September and it is my baby. I haven't found anything bad about it.
I thought 43 MPH was going to be to slow, but even semi aggressive driving doesn't require 40 MPH off road.
I hear about lack of power but mine has never failed to turn the tires over.

Joey33 lists several good points. I'd think about them and join in the fun. Let's see that ownership status change from "do not currently own".

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!