BOX1

P500 Who is using chains for ploughing snow?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Ok Fellas, what are your thoughts on chains front and rear for ploughing snow or just one end compared to the other. Must say I’m impressed with these little brutes to push snow, noticed I think an improvement with Radials too. Was just wondering if anyone has pushed with chains on front and rear. I’ve been somewhat reluctant, as I’m concerned with wrecking stuff, with chains on.... ? Thoughts and suggestions as always, appreciated.
Thanks
j

Reactions: rtn001
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm using diamond chains on all 4 stock wheels and tires.(I have different wheels and tires for summer use.) I also was concerned about potential damage but found that, unlike last year, I plow at a much lower speed to achieve the same pushing power. It seems much easier on the machine.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm using diamond chains on all 4 stock wheels and tires.(I have different wheels and tires for summer use.) I also was concerned about potential damage but found that, unlike last year, I plow at a much lower speed to achieve the same pushing power. It seems much easier on the machine.
Thanks for the input tomcj2. May I ask where you sourced the chains from, happy with the diamond style and why run them on the stock tires? What are your summer tires?. Lastly great to hear from a brother Canuck on here, thanks again.:)
j

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I bought them from Royal Distributing( ). Chains are very hard on tires; I didn't want to damage my summer tires ( ), and I had the OE tires and wheels lying around unused. I have had a lot of experience putting ladder chains on busses; these small diamond chains were a lot harder to install.
Even though the traction for ploughing is great I am seriously considering a set of tracks. I have been badly stuck in deep (18"+) snow a couple of times this year and do not want to risk being stranded miles away from civilization.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just like tomcj2 said, I found using chains on my 700 seemed to make it easier to plow with. I put a round bar on my blade cutting edge and like get a layer of ice over my gravel driveway to keep from pushing rocks. With the chains, I had more grip which allowed me to cut my speed down without.

M

MacGyver

Dec 27, 2018
Nw Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I also put chains on my stock tires. Pushes snow much better and I agree not has hard on the machine. I don't have the diamond pattern, just had these chains laying around so thought I'd put them to use. Big difference in traction. The lugs on my summer tires would just swallow the chains and they become useless. I suppose the diamond pattern would with help that. A set of tracks would be great! 20200206 191521
20200206 191511

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the suggestions, links and insight Fellas. Guess I’ll look around for chains, seems Royal Distributing is out of stock for OEM tires/wheels...
j

Reactions: trigger and rtn001
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I run chains on the rear only. It works really well. I have not tried to plow without the chains as this is my 1st year with the plow. I got them from Dennis Kirk. I also purchased the tension straps and have not had them loosen up or rub on any control arms. I haven't noticed a need for them on the front tires. This winter in MN has been very icy and snowy and it steers just fine. I"m running the stock tires and they are 3/4 worn out. All in all I'm very satisfied with chains on the rear.

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running Diamond chains on the rear - great traction. Found I had to increase tire pressure from 5psi to 15 to tighten chains.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks so much guys,
I had a brain fart and gave my stock tires and rims to the bro in law...😂 you know cause why would I ever need those teeeny wheees again...sigh. So if I get chains it’ll be for the rears only, I’m at the limit of clearance on the front running 27x11x12 radials on all corners with 5-2 rims. Good to hear rears only work great, good idea to increase air pressure. I am at the tail end (heh heh ya right...) of winter out West here in desert arid Kamloops, (grass is showing now) so might hold off till next fall. Love the diamond pattern ones...
Cheers,
j

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!