Who uses their Talon on the farm or ranch?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Per the title, who's also using their Talon on their property, farm or ranch in addition to trails?

What do you use it for, mainly transport, light hauling of tools, towing, etc.?

Have you found a limit at which you said no-go and needed a larger vehicle (truck or tractor) or wished you had the bigger bed, bed capacity or tow capacity of say a Pioneer?

Who uses it for hunting?

Thanks,

Cheers,

s

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Per the title, who's also using their Talon on their property, farm or ranch in addition to trails?

Have you found a limit at which you said no-go and needed a larger vehicle (truck or tractor) or wished you had the bigger bed, bed capacity or tow capacity of say a Pioneer?

Who uses it for hunting?

Thanks,

Cheers,

I had a pioneer 1000, didn't really need a utility, but at the time the only side by side Honda was the pioneer. What the Talon came out I traded it on a Talon. I put a hitch on the Talon so I could pull a trailer to haul a stand for Deer hunting. A buddy of mine was hauling wood on a trailer pulling across a plowed field, kept getting stuck.I put the Talon on it put it 4wd in low range. The trailer was down to the axel,in mud. The Talon didn't even grunt. I was throwing mud 20 ft in the air, more power than you would ever need. I mean you have 100 horsepower machine that weighs roughly 1500 lb compare that to a hundred horse tractor that probably weighs 10,000 pounds. But then again if you want to haul wait in the back end a utility type like a pioneer would be better. And something considered if you are pulling a trailer is tongue weight which would be like the amount of weight that you can haul in the back. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have a ranger 500 used for most utility work around the house, but occasionally the talon gets the call. The little 500 is a surprisingly good work horse. After the 2 hurricanes last year, the 500 spent 2 months as a chainsaw hauling, generator moving, and generator refueling truck!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Who uses it for hunting?

Thanks,

Cheers,

s
I use a Ranger 700 for ranch work, my Talon is strictly trail...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll start by saying I'm a Talon fan boy, I love this thing. :cool: My primary use is exploring both the mountain high country and SW desert. Making it work as a utility vehicle would be as easy as adding a purpose built bed extender or a small trailer if I needed more cargo capacity.

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good Day All
I use my Talon X4 for ranch work, back country fishing and shooting ground squirrels.
I have front and rear windshields, a 4500 lb winch and a custom built roof rack for extra storage space.
I chose the Talon because of the longer travel suspension and better seating position, the utility models don't agree with my old back and the Talon just looks better.
I do think if a Pioneer fits you it would serve better for all utility uses.

jpgrifles

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good Day All
I use my Talon X4 for ranch work, back country fishing and shooting ground squirrels.
I have front and rear windshields, a 4500 lb winch and a custom built roof rack for extra storage space.
I chose the Talon because of the longer travel suspension and better seating position, the utility models don't agree with my old back and the Talon just looks better.
I do think if a Pioneer fits you it would serve better for all utility uses.

jpgrifles
Thanks. It seems like with a roof rack and bed extender you can notably increase storage. Do you feel like it’s enough storage for your needs?

Yes, the suspension. Is the big temptation for me, not to go racing fast but to be very comfortable going through washboard, rutted, rough forest roads at a good pace.

I suppose I’m being influenced by the saying of how it’s easier to make a performance machine have more utility than a utility machine have better suspension performance. A big part of what I enjoy is driving the forest roads to take me to trail heads from which I’d backpack or day hunt. My current truck is a 3/4 ton Duramax, which is awesome to tow and has taken great care of me in rough conditions, but I like the idea of more comfort when exploring backcountry roads.

the work done on the property will be relatively often but imagine it’ll not be more than what even an atv could do. So think the Talon could suit my needs there, but like hearing people’s actual experience beyond mere opinion.
Thanks!

Reactions: CID
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Lifeisgoodsteve

Yes the Talon fits my needs and looks good doing it, My wife also loves driving it that helps a lot !
I don't drive real fast, the suspension, seating, DCT transmission and lack of a belt drive is what sold me on the Talon, the seating position and seat quality on the Pioneer did not fit my old back.
For most of my activities and back country trips I don't have back seat passengers so the whole rear seating area becomes storage space also, I can haul enough camping gear for a 2 week trip.

jpgrifles

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m also considering buying a talon and using as more of a utility sxs. Not really looking for something to go on trail rides with, but the fact it’s a Honda and the performance of the thing is too appealing. Wondering about trade offs between the 2 seater and having access to the bed from the cab vs the 4 seater and potential more storage space? How much of the back seat is actually usable for hauling things other than people? @jpgrifles Probably will be running a sprayer at some point and will need enough hose to reach the cab

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
With how ridiculously stiff the suspension is, it would be perfect for dual duty a a utility vehicle.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m also considering buying a talon and using as more of a utility sxs. Not really looking for something to go on trail rides with, but the fact it’s a Honda and the performance of the thing is too appealing. Wondering about trade offs between the 2 seater and having access to the bed from the cab vs the 4 seater and potential more storage space? How much of the back seat is actually usable for hauling things other than people? @jpgrifles Probably will be running a sprayer at some point and will need enough hose to reach the cab
Get a Kubota or John Deer, you will be happier for your needs!

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Mr Logdog

If I weren't looking for trail riding capability and seating that fits my old worn out back the Honda Pioneer would have been my pick as it has the same basic engine/DCT transmission as the Talon and makes a great less sporty trail rider/utility vehicle, I would have to fabricate a special rack to attach a spray rig to my Talon and with the long turning radius it would be a pain to use.
I agree a John Deere or Kubota would make a great choice for utility work and you could do some trail riding at a much slower pace with that type of machine .
I would suggest finding some one who will let you drive their Talon around some before investing in one.

jpgrifles

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mr Logdog

If I weren't looking for trail riding capability and seating that fits my old worn out back the Honda Pioneer would have been my pick as it has the same basic engine/DCT transmission as the Talon and makes a great less sporty trail rider/utility vehicle, I would have to fabricate a special rack to attach a spray rig to my Talon and with the long turning radius it would be a pain to use.
I agree a John Deere or Kubota would make a great choice for utility work and you could do some trail riding at a much slower pace with that type of machine .
I would suggest finding some one who will let you drive their Talon around some before investing in one.

jpgrifles
Thanks!

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!