Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok although I'm new at this pioneering thing, I do understand tire sizes and how that works sum what... (not an expert) my plan is to upgrade to a 28-10-14 tires when the BH's wear out was planning on doing a 5+2 offset with spacers on all 4. Suspension is stock, (until something bends/breaks) no plans of putting a lift other than what different shocks and tires will give me. What I don't understand is why a 7" wheel with a 10" tire, does the narrow wheel with wide tire add height by bowing the tread up? (Wider wheel making tread flatter) in theory. Or using a narrower wheel to keep the width of the buggy down? Thanks for any insight on this.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok although I'm new at this pioneering thing, I do understand tire sizes and how that works sum what... (not an expert) my plan is to upgrade to a 28-10-14 tires when the BH's wear out was planning on doing a 5+2 offset with spacers on all 4. Suspension is stock, (until something bends/breaks) no plans of putting a lift other than what different shocks and tires will give me. What I don't understand is why a 7" wheel with a 10" tire, does the narrow wheel with wide tire add height by bowing the tread up? (Wider wheel making tread flatter) in theory. Or using a narrower wheel to keep the width of the buggy down? Thanks for any insight on this.

I think it bows it around the rim and protects it here is a pic of my 7in rim with 30×10×14

20200118 1416256

20200118 1416256

Last edited:
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres my take:
7" wheel is in between the oem front and rear widths and a good size to run on all four corners. 7" is most likely as wide as you can put on the front for clearance. Having a wheel more narrow than the tire helps protect the rim from damage by rocks, etc...

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres my take:
7" wheel is in between the oem front and rear widths and a good size to run on all four corners. 7" is most likely as wide as you can put on the front for clearance. Having a wheel more narrow than the tire helps protect the rim from damage by rocks, etc...
Ok, it makes sense now, thanks for the pics Isaiah, I can see how far in the wheel is from the sidewall. Now I can get some sleep knowing this.👍👍

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10" tires for very well on the stock 14x6 wheels and the tire offers a lot of protection for the wheel. 14x7 wheels give you a little less sidewall bulge. The stock 14x8 rear wheels have almost no bulge. I had issues with gouging sidewalls with the stock rear wheels and 28x10s. I'd recommend either 4 stock front wheels or 14x7 wheels with a 10" wide tire

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10" tires for very well on the stock 14x6 wheels and the tire offers a lot of protection for the wheel. 14x7 wheels give you a little less sidewall bulge. The stock 14x8 rear wheels have almost no bulge. I had issues with gouging sidewalls with the stock rear wheels and 28x10s. I'd recommend either 4 stock front wheels or 14x7 wheels with a 10" wide tire
That's the plan, 28-10-14 tires on 14x7 wheels. Now all I gots ta do is wear out those BH's so I can sell the boss on a new set of tires.😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!