P500 Why can't you store anything where it says "no storage" under the seat by the manual?

A

arachnyd

Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Any idea why you can't store anything under the passenger seat? It says "no storage". I was hoping to just put registration and insurance papers there, and maybe an electrical distribution box and a USB charger. Just curious if anyone has any practical reason why it can't be used for storage? Seems odd to be that it has a "no storage" warning on it. I searched and found nothing.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Any idea why you can't store anything under the passenger seat? It says "no storage". I was hoping to just put registration and insurance papers there, and maybe an electrical distribution box and a USB charger. Just curious if anyone has any practical reason why it can't be used for storage? Seems odd to be that it has a "no storage" warning on it. I searched and found nothing.
Because the world is full of idiots who will drink battery acid unless there's a big azz warning label telling them not to. You'll be fine putting your papers there

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If you stored stuff there, then how would you carry around your owner's manual, which is what they intended to go there? You never know, but at a moments notice, you might need that manual.

A

arachnyd

Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If you stored stuff there, then how would you carry around your owner's manual, which is what they intended to go there? You never know, but at a moments notice, you might need that manual.
I was generally referring to the giant storage area right behind the manual that says "NO STORAGE".. (I get that the seat has a divot that eats into that a little bit, but it also seems like reasonable space for some small things).

While on many vehicles that might not be referred to as "Giant area", but it is literally the largest storage areas in the 500..

But secondly, seriously registration papers and insurance at least would easily fit alongside the manual...

No Storage

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I was generally referring to the giant storage area right behind the manual that says "NO STORAGE".. (I get that the seat has a divot that eats into that a little bit, but it also seems like reasonable space for some small things).

While on many vehicles that might not be referred to as "Giant area", but it is literally the largest storage areas in the 500..

But secondly, seriously registration papers and insurance at least would easily fit alongside the manual...

View attachment 376034
Mine no longer has that spot, I cut it out so I didn't have to disassemble half the buggy to change the oil, I'm sure the Honda lawyers wouldn't approve but phuck'em 🤣

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The ECU is right there so they don't want some moron putting his spare lighter fluid in there. Not sure but I think you were the one asking about under hood storage too? Both of those areas suck for storage. You're going to want that space under the hood for EPS and such. Plus having to take your hood off to access anything while in a mud hole isn't ideal. There's a lot of space under the drivers seat as well but again, not ideal for storage. Put a box on the back and use those other areas for rarely used items. Check out this thread for some ideas. Welcome to the forum.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The ECU is right there so they don't want some moron putting his spare lighter fluid in there. Not sure but I think you were the one asking about under hood storage too? Both of those areas suck for storage. You're going to want that space under the hood for EPS and such. Plus having to take your hood off to access anything while in a mud hole isn't ideal. There's a lot of space under the drivers seat as well but again, not ideal for storage. Put a box on the back and use those other areas for rarely used items. Check out this thread for some ideas. Welcome to the forum.

💥

A

arachnyd

Feb 20, 2023
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Just a wild guess but, if you put something solid in there it would be bouncing on the wires to the ECU.
Probably not good for the longevity of the ECU.
Yes, I do agree, but i was specifically thinking of just a small power distro box and fuse that would screw into the side, letting it be close to the battery and putting my registration and insurance papers there which I probably never need to get out, but then I have them in case I ever get pulled over (which has never happened, but I should have them). Figured it was perfect for that, and sounds like it is. I do get it now, I was trying to figure out if there was something there I just didn't realize (like if it was a catch drain for bed channels or something, which makes no sense, I just couldn't figure out what it could be- but that makes sense just to protect the ECU wires)

Under hood I already have a box, I was just thinking about ordering the glove box and wanted to make sure I didn't have an issue. under the hood, as when you order they make a point that it fits with the OEM under hood box and I wanted to assure that also didn't mean it "only fit with the OEM box and not other boxes". I don't keep stuff I regularly need under the hood since I have to take the windshield off to get it, its more of the "oh sh*t your stranded" type of stuff because I use mine on a farm by myself and need to be able to save myself if I get in a bind far away from others, so spare fuses, emergency tie downs, Less necessary tools (Sockets, wrench sets, tire repair kit, zip ties, spare electrical, tire inflator, radiator stop leak, oil, coolant, spare plug), first aid kit)

Space under the drivers seat is kind of a PITA with the rubber cover (clearly honda engineers WANTED to make it useless so you felt compelled to pay $200 for a storage cubby)- I may but a storage place or may work on hacking something together one of these weekends.

The bed I want to leave open because while I may take it to trails occasionally, I do more farm work on a mountain, and don't want to take up precious bed space or not have that emergency stuff when I need it, despite the fact it adds weight- I am installing a jump seat for when I need to bring people from point A to point B on the farm at 10 MPH on flat land, and then pop it off and use the bed for doing work, and then pop that off and strap in a larger rear box for when doing offroad trails and I want more water tight storage for more gear and extra fuel and stuff. All in all its a good setup to try to do "everything", despite trying to do everything means you do nothing perfectly.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here's what I have done. I was originally looking for the size of trashcan for under seat storage, but I really don't want to cut the Trigger shield, so I bolted an Ammo can to the bed using some quick clamps, and it could go outside the bed/rack if you wanted to save the space. The bungee is until I can figure a way to make it more stable since it wobbles a bit and I wanted to keep it up off the fender so it wouldn't bang around. Then got a net storage for between the seats.

Storage1
Storage2

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
The net looks like it's handy. Where did you find that?

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but here's what I have done. I was originally looking for the size of trashcan for under seat storage, but I really don't want to cut the Trigger shield, so I bolted an Ammo can to the bed using some quick clamps, and it could go outside the bed/rack if you wanted to save the space. The bungee is until I can figure a way to make it more stable since it wobbles a bit and I wanted to keep it up off the fender so it wouldn't bang around. Then got a net storage for between the seats.

View attachment 409804View attachment 409805
The trash can size is 3 gal. I did not cut my Triggershield as it easily lifts up when needed for access to the trash can. As @trigger mentioned previously, the underseat storage is good for seldom used stuff, like 12v air pump, 12v water pump with a container of water, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger and Tom_C
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
The trash can size is 3 gal. I did not cut my Triggershield as it easily lifts up when needed for access to the trash can. As @trigger mentioned preciously, the underseat storage is for seldom used stuff, like 12v air pump, 12v water pump with a container of water, etc.

With any due respect, and with tongue firmly in cheek I have to ask: how do you mention preciously? I'd assume, with tongue firmly in cheek to start with!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Carry on, don't mind me . . .

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
With any due respect, and with tongue firmly in cheek I have to ask: how do you mention preciously? I'd assume, with tongue firmly in cheek to start with!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Carry on, don't mind me . . .
I'd argue that everything @trigger says, is precious.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!