P1000 Will it be ok to run Honda HP4S synthetic in Pioneer 1000-5?

W

White-1000-5

Feb 21, 2016
Kentucky
I have new Pioneer 1000-5 with close to 50 miles on it and the 100 mile service will be here very soon way before the recommended hours. I was wondering if it would be ok if I switch the Engine, Tranny and sub trans to the HP4S when I do its first service? THANKS

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I have new Pioneer 1000-5 with close to 50 miles on it and the 100 mile service will be here very soon way before the recommended hours. I was wondering if it would be ok if I switch the Engine, Tranny and sub trans to the HP4S when I do its first service? THANKS
I did my first oil change at 200 miles. Dct looked brand new engine oil was a little darker than new oil. When I changed it I went to 10w30 amsoil synthetic and I believe it shifts a little smoother. You will be fine switching to synthetic whichever way you go.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Be OK but it's a waste of money because it works just fine with regular Honda oil 10w 30 GN4

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I would stick with the Honda oil, what's it going to hurt? It's actually designed and tested with these to be compatible. If there is an issue Honda can't say you used an inferior or incorrect product as long as it's specified in the owners manual.

These SXS are more complex than most cars 10 years ago. Gone are the days of the shade tree mechanic on most new drivetrains.

bigsnowman

bigsnowman

Long story short, I just completed the first service on ours and decided on the HP4S as I was talking with our dealer and he said it would be a good idea to "switch over to synthetic in those things". While I know he sort of "has a horse in the race" as he thought I was going to buy either GN or HP from him. I also considered Amsoil as I run that in a couple other toys and my pickup. Bottom line was that the HP was a bit more reasonable than the Amsoil (I could pick up the HP while I was in town running other errands and the Amsoil would need to be brought by our UPS guy) and....Amsoil did not yet have the filters for the P1K. After all was said and done, the shifting seemed to quiet down a bit after the service and the starter seems to spin faster in our yet cool mornings. Good Luck!:)

Reactions: Hawk53 and Stauvo
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
I do not have the manual right now to access but I did read & it warned of using oils w/ a "energy saving" rating because it could cause the clutches to slip. A big believer in synthetics - use Amsoil in everything else & will be running after a good break in. Apparently as I understand this unit has a wet clutch & the additives in some oils will cause them to slip. Having dirt bikes in the past you for sure knew not to use any oil additives that included Teflon, remember Slick 50?? W/ all this said I will be looking for an oil w/ motorcycles in mind. Just my thought....

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
honda hp4s is the synthetic version of gn4 it is designed to go in any honda engine it is jaso approved ive been running it in my 700 since first oil change great oil

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I also used HP4S in my 700 and now use it in my P1000. However, I may switch to a 40 weight for the hot summer months. If so, I'll go back to GN4 10-40. I still have a couple gallons of that.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I also used HP4S in my 700 and now use it in my P1000. However, I may switch to a 40 weight for the hot summer months. If so, I'll go back to GN4 10-40. I still have a couple gallons of that.
do u think ness to go to 40 during summer?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
do u think ness to go to 40 during summer?

I don't think it matters that much but if I plan on riding hard in the summer heat with passengers and oversized tires, it would give a little more viscosity at the higher operating temps. I don't think it matter a lot because these engines are water cooled.

I really don't know unless I install an oil pressure gauge. I watch the oil pressure gauge on my Kohler mower, the pressure will start out at 40 psi and drop to 10 when the motor is 200 degrees. If the fan is clogged, it will continue to drop as the temp rises to 230 or higher. It's an air cooled engine so after seeing that, I installed an oil cooler and fixed the problem.

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I don't think it matters that much but if I plan on riding hard in the summer heat with passengers and oversized tires, it would give a little more viscosity at the higher operating temps. I don't think it matter a lot because these engines are water cooled.

I really don't know unless I install an oil pressure gauge. I watch the oil pressure gauge on my Kohler mower, the pressure will start out at 40 psi and drop to 10 when the motor is 200 degrees. If the fan is clogged, it will continue to drop as the temp rises to 230 or higher. It's an air cooled engine so after seeing that, I installed an oil cooler and fixed the problem.
u talking about your zero turn? I have the z500 toro 60 inch

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
u talking about your zero turn? I have the z500 toro 60 inch

Craftsman standard with a Kohler and 54" deck. I did the mods for the oil pressure, oil temp, oil cooler. As far as I know, all the kohlers are OEM prepped for it.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Craftsman standard with a Kohler and 54" deck. I did the mods for the oil pressure, oil temp, oil cooler. As far as I know, all the kohlers are OEM prepped for it.
thanks Ill have to look into that

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I know all the Kohler pony motors we use for hydraulics on our trailers come standard with an oil cooler. They also had ports by the oil filter I think if you wanted to add an extra one.

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!