Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You have me thinking now. I have a steel plate over the tailgate and could reinforce but I think I could just get a couple of pieces of 2x10 and cut a groove in the underside where meets the bed. That way the tires will be resting on the 2x10 and allow the ramp to be pulled out without being pinched. Might not even need to cut a groove, just have the wood run across the width of the bed to raise up the tires higher than the fingers of the ramp. With the hitch lock in place, it would be secure.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just waiting for temps to rise a bit so I can take my road bike to the dealership to inspect for a trade. If they give me what they said they would then I will have a 1000-3 real soon.
You have me thinking now. I have a steel plate over the tailgate and could reinforce but I think I could just get a couple of pieces of 2x10 and cut a groove in the underside where meets the bed. That way the tires will be resting on the 2x10 and allow the ramp to be pulled out without being pinched. Might not even need to cut a groove, just have the wood run across the width of the bed to raise up the tires higher than the fingers of the ramp. With the hitch lock in place, it would be secure.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just waiting for temps to rise a bit so I can take my road bike to the dealership to inspect for a trade. If they give me what they said they would then I will have a 1000-3 real soon.
That sounds like a real good idea If you were talking the 700 it should fit in directly with absolutely no problems it fit in my truck great sat about an inch before the end of the box Where you could have actually gotten ramps out I now have the 1000-five and it sits mainly in the box with a slight bit of tire on the edge of the gate it's crazy how close and footprint the two are together. Good luck on that. I'm sure you'll enjoy that machine they are incredible

Last edited:
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
That sounds like a real good idea If you were talking the 700 it should fit in directly with absolutely no problems it fit in my truck great sat about an inch before the end of the box Where you could have actually gotten ramps out I now have the 1000-five and it sits mainly in the box with a slight bit of tire on the edge of the gate it's crazy how close and footprint the two are together. Good luck on that. I'm sure you'll enjoy that machine they are incredible
Yeh, was thinking about the 700 at first but I know I would always be looking at the 1000-3, my dealer offered me a good price on my bike so if all goes as planned I should have one in a couple of weeks. The more I look into what I need to do to my trailer to make it wider I'm going to have to buy a new one so fitting the pioneer in the back of my truck would work for now and depending on how it all works out I may just keep it that way.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA

Could you close the tailgate with the 700 in the bed?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Could you close the tailgate with the 700 in the bed?
It wouldn't close all the way unfortunately. Occasionally we would strap it up it was really close.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys!,
CumminsPusher is it tricky or lurchy getting the 1000 to climb over wheel wells?
Stauvo

Last edited:
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
It wouldn't close all the way unfortunately. Occasionally we would strap it up it was really close.
Thanks, Im getting a side by side this year and would like something bigger than the P500 so thinking the P700 would be perfect but my issue is I would occasionaly need to haul my travel trailer at same time and I cant have my tailgate down pulling trailer since it hits my power jack on my trailer. decisions decisions.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Thanks, Im getting a side by side this year and would like something bigger than the P500 so thinking the P700 would be perfect but my issue is I would occasionaly need to haul my travel trailer at same time and I cant have my tailgate down pulling trailer since it hits my power jack on my trailer. decisions decisions.
You could take the tailgate off, would only take 2 min. You could put it inside the travel trailer or along side the pioneer if you needed to take it with you.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Ya i could do that to since cumminspusher said it pretty much sits all the way in the bed. Just have to make sure to strap it down good. Need to get down to the dealer just to drive one in to see what it looks like.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey guys!,
CumminsPusher is it tricky or lurchy getting the 1000 to climb over wheel wells?
Stauvo
Only the first time:) it fits so nice side to side it almost loads itself. Better by far then our Polaris 750x2 because it is wider the quad only hits one wheelwell.my last truck (the 92 in the pictures) was about 3in higher then stock the new one is around 6in higher and one of the ramps broke awhile ago(should have just gotten 8ft ones instead of the 10ft they are stronger! But we had 5 of us in it full of gear oops!) that was a bit of a handful but it crawled in anyway after waisting the gate so now we only have 5 ft ramps (1/2) and that's the hairy thing. They are over a 90* angle but it crawls in even wet or snowy. We do a quick strap to bumper going in, coming out unnecessary. It's really no big deal at all with good ramps. It's fun to drive around with because everyone loads these on a trailer even the little ones and I get asked all the time how I get it in there I just say "use the 4wheel drive it comes with" hell if you drive it hard you'll be in a lot hairier stuff then a set of ramps right? Here is a pick first of 700-4 loaded(4x8 in front of the tires so it's not quite all the way in) one backed in which isn't as tight in there (but I had to use the 4500# warn to drag a wheelless car onto a trailer) then of the 1000-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghost and McPioneer
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya i could do that to since cumminspusher said it pretty much sits all the way in the bed. Just have to make sure to strap it down good. Need to get down to the dealer just to drive one in to see what it looks like.
Where at in Washington are you kirkl?

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yakima area. Did your 700 go right over the wheel wells also?
Absolutely. Stock you had to be about 2in or so off the bed rails which was no big deal if you were totally on one side it went in a little bit harder but not bad or scary. Later we added offset wheels it didn't even need steered. The 1000 is the same way. It looks worse then it is. Not going to lie you're heart races a little your first time in and out especially with the 5ft ramp but I've made everyone in our family load and unload including my 10yo daughter (she was barely 9first time) and they all said the same thing. My wife actually "likes" loading go figure

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In and out of the drivers seat must be like driving the General Lee with the doors welded shut just jump in thru the window. Like it!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In and out of the drivers seat must be like driving the General Lee with the doors welded shut just jump in thru the window. Like it!
Ok so ya got me there! My wife did suggest putting 01 on the doors now it makes sense