P1000 Winch for plowing

LWood

LWood

Jul 16, 2017
Birch Run,MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello new guy here. Loving my new 1000-5 deluxe in camo. Will be doing some plowing with it as well as play time. Looking for recommendations on a winch that will mount high enough to pick the blade up.
I had read the KFI fair lead sits real low and you have to drill new holes for it. Thanks for any info.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello new guy here. Loving my new 1000-5 deluxe in camo. Will be doing some plowing with it as well as play time. Looking for recommendations on a winch that will mount high enough to pick the blade up.
I had read the KFI fair lead sits real low and you have to drill new holes for it. Thanks for any info.
KFI will work

Reactions: LWood
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recommend synthetic rope or a flat strap, versus the steel cable. You will be much happier.

Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recommend synthetic rope or a flat strap, versus the steel cable. You will be much happier.

I don't plow at all BUT there have been numerous threads on here about standard synth or steel rope failing using it for a plow.

They have pointed out they sell economical plow straps on Amazon that won't break.

Reactions: Plumber32
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I plow and synthetic is the only way to go. My Warn and standard mount work just fine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a 20' tow strap cut in half and run it around the drum with the rope still on. You can lift piles of snow this way.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a 20' tow strap cut in half and run it around the drum with the rope still on. You can lift piles of snow this way.
That's actually what I use. A tow strap from Harbor Freight and in the 2 years I have been doing it I have only broken it once. Usually there is enough room for the flat strap to be put on over the winch line. I pull the hook and thimble off my winch line and just place the end of the strap trough the eye. Give it a couple of wraps and you're good to go. The nice thing about it, is that if you let too much out it doesn't rats nest in the winch housing. If you need to take it off, just pull it out and your regular line is still there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!