P700 Winch Install Help

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Hi guys,

I got my Warn winch mounted, and am ready to tackle the wiring. It came with short battery cables that run from the battery to the "contactor", which I think is essentially a relay. They say to mount the contactor close to the battery in a place that isn't near heat or that could get wet. There really isn't a place like this in the 700. I'd rather mount it in the front under the hood. This would keep it cool and dry. I know my engine compartment gets pretty dirty and hot.

Anyway, does anyone know why it would be bad to mount it far away from the battery? Also, I'd probably have to swap the red & black cables that are supposed to go from the battery to the contactor, with the longer blue and yellow ones that are supposed to go from the contactor to the winch.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

John

Reactions: sharp and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi guys,

I got my Warn winch mounted, and am ready to tackle the wiring. It came with short battery cables that run from the battery to the "contactor", which I think is essentially a relay. They say to mount the contactor close to the battery in a place that isn't near heat or that could get wet. There really isn't a place like this in the 700. I'd rather mount it in the front under the hood. This would keep it cool and dry. I know my engine compartment gets pretty dirty and hot.

Anyway, does anyone know why it would be bad to mount it far away from the battery? Also, I'd probably have to swap the red & black cables that are supposed to go from the battery to the contactor, with the longer blue and yellow ones that are supposed to go from the contactor to the winch.

John
I mounted my contactor up under the hood and also swapped the blue and yellow wires for the black and red wires, basically everything you're considering doing is exactly what I did when I installed my winch (also a warn). Have not had one single problem doing it that way, so I say go for it!

Reactions: allgm1 and sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi guys,

John
Thats exactly what i did. I also mounted the contactor under the hood.and swaped the wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tflynn
C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Ah, cool. That's a relief. Much thanks guys. That should make things much easier.

Thanks again!

John

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
One more thing, if either of you have any pics of your front compartment where you mounted the contactor and also the remote plug, that would be great. I have a pretty good idea where I am going to put them, but just wanted to see your ideas. I am thinking on the drivers side towards the front.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I installed the remote plug inside the glovebox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Aug 12, 2013
Palestine, IL
Ownership

1. 700-2
mine was installed at the dealer, not as neat as I'd like but no problems after more than 2000 miles.
ed303506b45feaac26d93cd30aa19e92.jpg
f5f2e1c76e96ac06d9ceb071934d4b93.jpg

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I appreciate all the suggestions and pictures. Here is what I did:

20170410 184013 resized
20170410 184019 resized

I do need help though. I need ignition power. Can anyone suggest a wire to tap into for that? Preferably from under the hood.

Reactions: Tflynn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate all the suggestions and pictures. Here is what I did:

View attachment 40076 View attachment 40077

I do need help though. I need ignition power. Can anyone suggest a wire to tap into for that? Preferably from under the hood.

You'll have to remove your hood to remote winch? That plug should go in your dash or somewhere more accessible.

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Yes, that is correct. Maybe a dumb idea, but I'm new to ATVing, and even newer to winching. My thought was I plan on keeping my gear(snatch block, d-rings, cables, etc.) up under there anyway, so I'd be taking it off to get that stuff. Also, my thoughts were that I'd either be standing at the front of the machine or in it when winching. I have the switch for when I'm in the cab, and the remote switch for when I'm outside. Will that work, or do you think I should remount it?

Reactions: trigger and eastenn
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Its not a dumb idea. I very rarely use my remove except for plowing (my remote plug is in the glove box), the rest of the year I get by with the dash switch.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I inatalled my remote hook-up behind my front bumper on the driverside of the grill. I have a rocker switch mounted inside on the dash panel, so what would be the point of needing it inside? Quick & easily
accessed. Also if I'm using my winch with a remote, I'm by myself and would be outside the sxs anyways.

20170411 070831

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I inatalled my remote hook-up behind my front bumper on the driverside of the grill. I have a rocker switch mounted inside on the dash panel, so what would be the point of needing it inside? Quick & easily
accessed. Also if I'm using my winch with a remote, I'm by myself and would be outside the sxs anyways.

View attachment 40101

Obviously if you're going to sit in the machine, you don't need the remote, use the rocker switch.
Any location can work and I understand if all of your recovery gear is stored under there, you'll have to take the hood off anyway.
My point was, if you need to use the remote you're either on a steep incline or in a mud hole, not the best conditions for disassembly of the machine. Some would have to remove their windshield and hood, that would suck.
FWIW...install location for these has been discussed many times and the consensus was under the drivers side cup holder on the 500. I think that location is too far to one side. If the machine is on it's side, that plug is probably buried.

Reactions: Ecupadge
C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Many good ideas.

I don't want to get away from my next dilemma, and that's where to pull ignition power from. Any suggestions under the hood?

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
I can't remember the wire color right off, but check the wiring under the ACC fuse. It's powered from ignition

C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
I'll check that out tonight. Thanks a bunch!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Many good ideas.

I don't want to get away from my next dilemma, and that's where to pull ignition power from. Any suggestions under the hood?

Get the Honda accessory harness...$10 at the dealer. Plugs right in, then you don't have to tap into anything and it gives you room to add more later.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!