P700 Winch mount KFI

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got my Superwinch mounted with KFI mount.
Assuming it's mounted correctly, it was a straight forward mounting job.

My one concern is that I can't see the spool.
I like to watch the wire wrap onto the spool.
Eventually, it will bind up and overwrap.
What then? I can't get to it without taking the fairlead off and possibly the bumper.

Am I worrying about nothing?
PXL 20201128 204103589

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
it is a pain in the butt to see the spool i will agree. if I,m stuck and winching myself out theres not much you can do at that time except get yourself un stuck , but I'll usually pull the line out when I get back and rewind it properly so it ready for the next time.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
it is a pain in the butt to see the spool i will agree. if I,m stuck and winching myself out theres not much you can do at that time except get yourself un stuck , but I'll usually pull the line out when I get back and rewind it properly so it ready for the next time.

My concern is that it overlaps and binds up on the winch cross bar and then I CANT get myself unstuck. Maybe taking some of the cable off will give it some extra room to overlap.
Any thoughts about synthetic rope binding up?
Is it the same diameter as wire rope?
Less likely to overlap and bind up?

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve been a wEnching fool and haven’t had issues like you describe. I lost my rope off the drum by pulling it all the way out and the screw that holds the rope slipped. That was tough to do inside the bumper but other than that, no problems.😎

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wouldn’t worry too much. I’ve been a wEnching fool and haven’t had issues like you describe. I lost my rope off the drum by pulling it all the way out and the screw that holds the rope slipped. That was tough to do inside the bumper but other than that, no problems.😎

Wire rope or synthetic rope?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Less prone to binding up?
I haven’t had a problem with binding up. Some rides I’m winching ten plus times. I don’t think about how it spools back up. I just unwind and reset it when the ride is over and I’m cleaning up. The synthetic is safer because it has less potential energy than steel if it breaks and steel cables will have threads that break and poke out. They act like razor blades and slice your hand open. If you want anyone to handle your winch, rope is the way to go. Another plus, if it breaks you can just tie a knot and keep winching. 😎

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can Synthetic be used with Roller Fairlead?
Yes, but should be new or inspected for burrs from the previous steel cable that was in there. And when using with roller fairlead, I would watch carefully for the first few times of use so it doesn’t get caught up. 😎

advertisement
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven’t had a problem with binding up. Some rides I’m winching ten plus times. I don’t think about how it spools back up. I just unwind and reset it when the ride is over and I’m cleaning up. The synthetic is safer because it has less potential energy than steel if it breaks and steel cables will have threads that break and poke out. They act like razor blades and slice your hand open. If you want anyone to handle your winch, rope is the way to go. Another plus, if it breaks you can just tie a knot and keep winching. 😎

Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years. The 8k winch on my CJ5 (Wire rope, roller fairlead) is prone to not wrapping onto the spool evenly, especially on off angle pulls.
This causes the spool to fill up, prematurely binding the winch up on the useless bar that runs across it.
With a view of the spool, I can catch it early before it binds up. Unspool it, then manually guide it onto the drum evenly.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years. The 8k winch on my CJ5 (Wire rope, roller fairlead) is prone to not wrapping onto the spool evenly, especially on off angle pulls.
This causes the spool to fill up, prematurely binding the winch up on the useless bar that runs across it.
With a view of the spool, I can catch it early before it binds up. Unspool it, then manually guide it onto the drum evenly.
Oh I see. Yeah that doesn’t happen. The rope squishes down. I would keep it 50’ long though. If you go longer you might have the problem you described.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!