Resource icon

P1000 Winch Mount Kit - 08L72-HL4-A04 - Instructions 2015-11-06

No permission to download
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
Took my 1K5 back to the dealer yesterday because they called and said the winch mount was finally in for the Honda pro vantage 4500. Part of the deal with my purchase was having a winch and install included. Picked it up at closing today. The tech that did the install said it was the most aggravating winch install he has ever done. He said he worked on it all day. So I guess the sales department will take a little hit to cover all that labor. lol. He left the install instructions in the glove box. DAMN! had to basically disassemble the whole machine.
I will say this. It's a very clean install. Not really happy about the remote connection in the glove box. The connector is not a very good solid connector either. Can be very easily pulled out. And I'd much rather have a switch on the dash. So when I get time I will be installing a switch in the dash somewhere for sure. All in all though I'm happy with it and how well protected the winch is.
Thanks for the info, Currin1776. Did I hear you right, the only switch you have is on the remote in the glove box?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my Warn winch installed with the Honda mounting kit (P1000-5 Deluxe). The winch feeds from the bottom and causes a sharp angle at the lower fairlead roller. It just doesn't look right to me, and seems like it would reduce the cable strength at that sharp bend. Has anyone considered modifying the winch spooling, wiring, or mounting to get the winch cable to feed from the top of the spool? Am I way off base here?

Last edited:
Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
I got my Warn winch installed with the Honda mounting kit (P1000-5 Deluxe). The winch feeds from the bottom and causes a sharp angle at the lower fairlead roller. It just doesn't look right to me, and seems like it would reduce the cable strength at that sharp bend. Has anyone considered modifying the winch spooling, wiring, or mounting to get the winch cable to feed from the top of the spool? Am I way off base here?
I'll be installing a Warn Vantage 4000 next week on Whiskey, and from the input received on Hondasxs, I'm replacing the wire with rope and will attempt to wind it so it spools from the top of the winch. Not sure if it will work, but its an issue that has come up here many times.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be installing a Warn Vantage 4000 next week on Whiskey, and from the input received on Hondasxs, I'm replacing the wire with rope and will attempt to wind it so it spools from the top of the winch. Not sure if it will work, but its an issue that has come up here many times.
I did some research on the spool from top/bottom question. Several folks said all winches spool from the bottom by design because it lessens the forces seen in the mounting bracket at the bolts. There was other discussion about the internal brake, gears, etc... I don't know enough about winch internals to make an educated decision, so I'll probably just stick with the stock install results for now. Let us know if you are successful in respooling to feed from the top.

Whiskey1

Whiskey1

Dec 11, 2015
Arizona
I did some research on the spool from top/bottom question. Several folks said all winches spool from the bottom by design because it lessens the forces seen in the mounting bracket at the bolts. There was other discussion about the internal brake, gears, etc... I don't know enough about winch internals to make an educated decision, so I'll probably just stick with the stock install results for now. Let us know if you are successful in respooling to feed from the top.
Good point! Thanks for the heads up. When I get everything out of box (the 50-foot synthetic rope arrived today) and ready for instal I'll see what I have to work with and decide then. However, I am glad I'm starting with a Warn roller fairlead and not the alternative one piece unit that seems to be problematic with the P1000 winch angle.

Reactions: PioneerPete
CURRIN1776

CURRIN1776

Dec 7, 2015
NC
www.currin1776.com
Good point! Thanks for the heads up. When I get everything out of box (the 50-foot synthetic rope arrived today) and ready for instal I'll see what I have to work with and decide then. However, I am glad I'm starting with a Warn roller fairlead and not the alternative one piece unit that seems to be problematic with the P1000 winch angle.
I had a chance to spend some time with my new ride and winch this past weekend... I had to use the winch fairly often pulling friends out of the mud... (The 1000 5 did amazing BTW)... I noticed on the first day that the cable went under the mounting bracket and then came upward to go through the fair-lead. I found this odd and figured it was a mistake by the dealer.. I didn't like how it basically drug across the mount especially under load and when pulling from free spool. So before the second day I rerouted the cable from the spool directly through the fair-lead. All seems great now. If anyone has it dealer installed check for this... I'm not surprised its what I found from this particular service dept.... Wish I noticed it before the first use...

As far as the power and performance of the winch.. It was great.. Pulled a very badly stuck JD Gator several times and a Teyrx. Winch never missed a lick. Very pleased.. Minus that horrible connector in the Glove Box. Wish they had implemented a twist lock or something.. comes loose very easily....

W

Wiredawg

Jan 10, 2016
Wait, you have to raise the dump bed and take the gas cap off to install the winch?

Did someone copy and past instructions for another accessory into the winch mount instructions by accident?

God forbid you ever have to replace the winch line. Might as well buy a new Pioneer you'd have it paid off before you got the old winch off.
We just got a new 1000 and it took 2 days to remove and reinstall everything for the winch install. Most of the work was just to run a ground cable from the front to the back, behind the seat. I can't believe they don't just install the ground cable at the factory so it's there just in case someone might want a winch.

Reactions: MarshCollins
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We just got a new 1000 and it took 2 days to remove and reinstall everything for the winch install. Most of the work was just to run a ground cable from the front to the back, behind the seat. I can't believe they don't just install the ground cable at the factory so it's there just in case someone might want a winch.
Yeah, I saw all that and just decided to ground mine at the battery.

jcasads

jcasads

Dec 26, 2015
Alaska

Yeah I just did the install on mine two days ago and I tried to stick to the instructions as much as possible but once I started taking the hex screws off I ended up messing one of them from the hood. The two at the dash (right in front of the middle front passanger) were completely rounded before I even touched them so from that point I stopped pulling all the plastics off and figured out you can actually just remove the rubber cover (the one flap covering the oil dipstick I believe) and the plastic cover right in front of it and from there you can actually get to the ground cable and hook up the winch ground cable. It is tight but with a ratchet, a long extension and an universal joint you can get to it. As far as routing the rest of the cable all the way to the front, it was still fairly easy to zip tie it to the rest of the cables without removing all the plastics.

Yeah, I saw all that and just decided to ground mine at the battery.

advertisement
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I read the Honda instructions today. Gheesh! I had to go back and read the title cause I thought "this can can be a winch install they're talking about".
I used the KFI mount and filed the fairlead. Emery cloth to smooth it out. It doesnt solve the angle problem between winch and fairlead but that rope looks much safer now.

The second image is the front - I think I'll go smooth that out now.
IMG 2230
IMG 2231

H

HondaOrange

Mar 12, 2016
Saskatchewan
So did you guys have to do a partial reinstall when you switched to the new Honda bumper?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So did you guys have to do a partial reinstall when you switched to the new Honda bumper?
it depends on the winch mount. the Honda oem winch mount shares the mounting locations with the bumper, so I had to have someone support the winch until I could get the new bumper lined up and get a bolt in it.

H

HondaOrange

Mar 12, 2016
Saskatchewan
it depends on the winch mount. the Honda oem winch mount shares the mounting locations with the bumper, so I had to have someone support the winch until I could get the new bumper lined up and get a bolt in it.
Ok perfect exactly what I needed to know

Reactions: PioneerPete

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!