P1000 winch purchasing clarity

T

Targa185

Jul 13, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an '18 P1k with no winch. I have searched the topic enough to understand that I think I want synthetic. can I buy a synthetic winch and warn mount, from Honda? Does a viper winch work with the Honda OEM winch mount? If I buy winch and winch mount from Honda and it has cable can I just spool it out/off and load it with the synthetic rope from amazon? Not trying to stay married to the Honda shop just reading that the winch mount sold by honda (warn?) seems to work and align well. Any help with selecting synthetic winch and mount would be appreciated. I do have a harbor freight badlands 10k pound winch and it seems to work well on a farm trailer. id be fine with buying another appropriately sized for the sxs. I am not trying to cut corners on cost either to clarify, just looking for clarity on what is the appropriate set up. Mostly going to be used for farm use, and plowing, some trail riding>

Reactions: TimG and sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if you intend on using it for trees and plowing is a lot of use you are going to want a decent one. would get a superwinch terra 45 (these last forever under pulling trees and whatever) and mount all from amazon, and its fine if get a steel one and just change the cable, ive done it for years. they come with every wiring thing you will need, unlike the others you just need a mount.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Warn axon 45s with warn mount all from amazon. Skip the dealer.

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are 2 good options.

If you dont see yourself using it a LOT I'd get a viper winch from @Hondasxs. The winches are old Warn designs with a viper sticker and are great winches. I think he even had some on sale.

If you want the latest and greatest go to montanajacks.com. it's a small shop with great prices. I called the guy and hes great to work with. Will get you a little discount even.

Either place can hook you up with a good mounting plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

T

Targa185

Jul 13, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the help. I am getting a better idea from all three responses. I'll avoid the dealer and just order accordingly probably calling montana jacks to get a little more info. I don't think a retrofit for the badlands is for me even though I have no doubt I could make it work. not sure I want to build the mount and burn another summer day welding. probably going viper or warn 45s and predesigned mount. I will also evaluate the winch control switches. certainly open to any responses or experiences on what model is more convenient for operation left of steering column. Thanks again, great forum

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the help. I am getting a better idea from all three responses. I'll avoid the dealer and just order accordingly probably calling montana jacks to get a little more info. I don't think a retrofit for the badlands is for me even though I have no doubt I could make it work. not sure I want to build the mount and burn another summer day welding. probably going viper or warn 45s and predesigned mount. I will also evaluate the winch control switches. certainly open to any responses or experiences on what model is more convenient for operation left of steering column. Thanks again, great forum
I have a 45s it's one step below the axion. The guy at Montana Jack's knows his stuff. He can tell you exactly how each one is built . Let us know what you go with.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!