P1000m5 Wind shield wiper wiring

mmorgan

mmorgan

Sep 25, 2020
washington state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was a 6 pin switch. I believe it goes like this. jump 7-8 go to ground. jump 6 to 2 that goes to switched power. 3 goes to 85 on your relay. 5 isn't used.

Reactions: Lady01
J

jcvollmer

Nov 22, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Old thread I know but I’m confused. I have an aftermarket accessory fuse panel, the 5 pin Dorman relay and Honda wiper kit along with the Honda 6 pin switch. How do I make this work? I understand the schematic but it’s not working for me.

S

sledz013

Jun 17, 2021
on
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the site guys. I have wired up my relay likes diagram shows and can't get it to work. Can anyone tell me
how to wire the factory 6 pin rocker switch?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I purchased most all my switches from OTR including my ON/OFF wiper switch, my wiper motor has the park function and i couldn't figure out how to make it all work until i found this old thread with great details of exactly what i'm trying to do.
The search bar really does work if you ask the right questions.........

Reactions: WagginTail
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, here I go. I hope this straightens things out for you. Please don't be offended if I write something really stupid that you already know.

The wiper operates off of 12v negative ground.

First, right click on the image, save it and print it. It's easier if you have it in front of you for reference. H/T to @ohanacreek for this drawing.

View attachment 19887

Second - Here is the relay I used...

Dorman Conduct-Tite 88069 - Relay | O'Reilly Auto Parts

All this relay is used for is to route ground to the wiper. The pins will be marked properly on it.

I also use this for all my grounds:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X326A1K/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Here's how to wire it and the wiper:

The red wire from the motor is connected directly to +12v. Not accessory power. The wiper motor must have a constant +12v for it to be able to "park" when turned off.

The yellow wire from the motor is connected to ground.

The green wire from the motor is connected to pin 87a on the relay.

The black wire from the motor is connected to pin 30 on the relay.

Install a jumper from pin 86 to 87 on the relay. Include a wire long enough to allow pin 87 to connect to ground.

Pin 85 on the relay is connected to the switch you plan on using.

Here's how it all works...

When you turn on your wiper switch it turns on the relay. This causes the contact to close, supplying ground from pin 30 to pin 87 which supplies ground to the motor. Since the motor has a constant +12v coming in on the red wire the motor turns on.

When you turn off your wiper switch the relay is turned off, removing ground from pin 87. Pin 30 is now connected to pin 87a of the relay. This engages the park switch (internal to the wiper) which allows the wiper to return home (park) instead of stopping in the middle of your windshield.

If you are using the Cooper Bussmann PDM I would just use one of the fused outputs to supply power to your switch. The relay it is powering is drawing minimal amperage.

How'd I do? Hopefully this makes sense.
Thank you so much for the guidance and explanation. I just finished my wiper installation. Everything is working well.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!