Wing Nut Connection??

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
I went searching for a rattle that I have when I shift gears. Sounds like loose stuff rattling near the back axel when I shift F or R….but I could not locate it without some help. Gonna need some help shifting with the motor running, while I am watching and listening BUT I did notice another thing….and I didn't like the looks of it. There is a specialty made "wing nut" which evidently allows adjustment of the shift cable at what I am supposing to the the tranny (?). I could rotate this wing nut waaay to easily IMO. Just light fingertip twists and not much to prevent it from turning. There is a crescent machined in to the top of the nut which evidently is to keep it in place……but mine was real easy to turn. It also may be the source of my "rattle".

Is there supposed to be a lock nut under this "wing nut" or some other means to secure it to the cable? Maybe a spring to keep the crescent shape engaged to the shaft?? Seems like this coupling is just looking to fail. :?: :roll:

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• photo-22.JPG
    photo-22.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 460
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Its the same setup that's on rear brake adjustments for every Honda I've ever owned. On the brake set-up there should be a spring between the cable and the post that those crescents rest on, and those crescents will keep it from rotating. That wouldn't work here since the cable has to push and pull. Maybe take a look at one of the online parts fiches and see what is supposed to be there.

FWIW, i think its brilliant that they used this on the shifter adjustment.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
DG Rider said:
Its the same setup that's on rear brake adjustments for every Honda I've ever owned. On the brake set-up there should be a spring between the cable and the post that those crescents rest on, and those crescents will keep it from rotating. That wouldn't work here since the cable has to push and pull. Maybe take a look at one of the online parts fiches and see what is supposed to be there.

FWIW, i think its brilliant that they used this on the shifter adjustment.

OK…..I get the feeling that I am missing a spring here. There's nothing to keep the crescents snugged up on mine. Can someone confirm there is a spring in this assembly?? I'm not sure how to access a parts fiche.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Try this...
http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#

Go through the drop down boxes and you will find the shifter with an exploded diagram...

EDIT: Should look like this...
image.php

Don't know if that's big enough to see, but if you go to the actual site, you can make it much bigger.

Servicehonda is just one of many places where you can do this.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks for the try…..but that site does not have the Pioneer…..and I was unable to find a parts explosion like it. (no sxs machines like a big red, that I could find).

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
foggy said:
Thanks for the try…..but that site does not have the Pioneer…..and I was unable to find a parts explosion like it. (no sxs machines like a big red, that I could find).
Sorry...shoulda mentioned It's under ATV ( no SxS category ). The pic i posted is from ServiceHonda.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
DG Rider said:
foggy said:
Sorry...shoulda mentioned It's under ATV ( no SxS category ). The pic i posted is from ServiceHonda.

Yep. And…..I was unable to find an illustration with the parts I have on a Pioneer.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know you've probably done this already, but just to be sure...

Go to the link above...
then click the "+" next to the Honda
then click the "+" next to All Terrain Vehicles
then click the "+" next to 2014

The first 4 models listed are all Pioneers, and should all be the same. Click one.
Then you will get little gear symbols, next to which one says "shift lever + select lever". Click that link, and the next page should be an exploded diagram i posted above with part descriptions below.

If its still not working, then it must be a browser issue, because I've been there 10 times for this post alone. Try searching another OEM dealer.

Better yet, click this direct link to another one...
http://www.hondapartshouse.com http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... lect-lever

This seems to be working. I tried this with ServiceHonda, but it wouldn't let me do it.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks for your good efforts DG Rider. I have used the above hondapartshouse.com illustrations to look at some parts explosions, for four Pioneer models. All appear the same under the Select Lever listing. Still I don't see a "wing nut" depicted in any of the parts explosions. I do see a hex nut fashioned with the crescents……and it does us a spring to provide the constant connection. I need to get by my machine……as I believe my spring is missing. This spring would be all-important in keeping the connection viable….IMO.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Kinda looks like the spring may be hidden inside part #6. I will be taking a look at mine later tonight also.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!