P700 Winter "storage"

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
This winter will be the first for my 2018 700-4 deluxe. My dilemma is what constitutes an "extended period" for Honda's storage recommendations. I'll have mine in my garage with battery tender connected and may be taking it out for some trail riding periodically depending on the type of winter we have--also I can easily start it weekly or monthly and run it around our property. So, its not like I'm mothballing it for 6 months. I won't however be using it as much as I do in the warmer months. I'm thinking I leave my batteries in it with tender on it; put some fuel stabilizer in the full tank, and run it up to temp around the property (just a few acres so can't go too far) periodically to keep cylinder, etc., lubed and tires rotating. Does this seem reasonable? or do you think I should pull the spark plug add oil to cylinder; remove batteries, etc. per Honda's recommendation? I can ask my dealer too, but this forum has been a great help so thought I'd start here! Thanks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This winter will be the first for my 2018 700-4 deluxe. My dilemma is what constitutes an "extended period" for Honda's storage recommendations. I'll have mine in my garage with battery tender connected and may be taking it out for some trail riding periodically depending on the type of winter we have--also I can easily start it weekly or monthly and run it around our property. So, its not like I'm mothballing it for 6 months. I won't however be using it as much as I do in the warmer months. I'm thinking I leave my batteries in it with tender on it; put some fuel stabilizer in the full tank, and run it up to temp around the property (just a few acres so can't go too far) periodically to keep cylinder, etc., lubed and tires rotating. Does this seem reasonable? or do you think I should pull the spark plug add oil to cylinder; remove batteries, etc. per Honda's recommendation? I can ask my dealer too, but this forum has been a great help so thought I'd start here! Thanks.
Plans seem fine to me.

Reactions: BKelly
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Agree. Sounds like a plan.
Recently saw where the full tank thing is very important.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BKelly
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t give you much advise in this department, mine never get stored...I use it almost every day. You’re overall plan sounds pretty solid and that’s what I would do minus the tender. The only reason I wouldn’t do a battery tender is I start everything about once a week or so depending on how cold it is to let the battery charge and get oil back up to the top of the engine. I’ve been doing this for 7 years now with my mowers and haven’t had any carb or battery issues. Good luck

B

BKelly

May 7, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick with the plan! Really appreciate this forum.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I drive my stuff year round. If you crank it up and drive around regularly just use no ethanol gas should be fine . My boat and jet ski sit six months out of the year without being touched and run fine with real gas no stabilization For years now.

Reactions: swsebek and BKelly
H

Hondarider203

Nov 13, 2018
Farmdale ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use seafoam in the gas no tender get everything all cleaned up pack it away for winter mowers wheeler golf cart and what not. Come spring fire it up run each machine around for a little bit pull it in and do an oil change and go through it before the warm season comes been doing this for 10 years or so seems to work well for me. Wont be putting the pioneer in hibernation but do have brand new and older honda wheelers and have never had an issue. Hope this helps

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Filling it with non-ethanol is especially important if you are not using it often. If you can crank it and drive it around every two to four weeks, I wouldn't do anything more. (except for the tender, that's a good idea)

Driving it around distributes the oils. It is a good idea, if weather conditions will allow.

When a warm engine cools, the vapors inside condense and that draws in moisture from the outside air. When you crank it every few weeks, I believe it is important to run it long enough to get it to full temperature. That cooks off the moisture.

BTW: Mice like to get out of the weather too. They can really do some damage under the hood and seat. I have no advice on how to keep them out.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Filling it with non-ethanol is especially important if you are not using it often. If you can crank it and drive it around every two to four weeks, I wouldn't do anything more. (except for the tender, that's a good idea)

Driving it around distributes the oils. It is a good idea, if weather conditions will allow.

When a warm engine cools, the vapors inside condense and that draws in moisture from the outside air. When you crank it every few weeks, I believe it is important to run it long enough to get it to full temperature. That cooks off the moisture.

BTW: Mice like to get out of the weather too. They can really do some damage under the hood and seat. I have no advice on how to keep them out.
Mothballs. Use them all the time when storing tractors, trailers, campers and semi sleepers on the farm. Hell I’ll even throw a few under my camper while living on the farm during the summer to keep them bastards out. Their terrible around here. Field mice and voles.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!