P500 Winterizing a P500?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
My wife asked me if the P500 needs anything done to get it ready for a Montana winter. It will be in an unheated pole barn.

I’m not sure- for example do I need an oil pan heater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtn001
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dont take my advice. We dont winterize around here. But if I did I might do these things.

I would make sure it has a full tank of gas. There is reports of the fuel pump corroding when condensation gathers inside. Fill with Nonethonl or maybe a stabilizer.
Also some type of rodent protection. Mothballs maybe.
Is there electricity. Maybe an Automatic trickle charger or remove the battery into a heated location to save it.

Not sure about the oil. Dont think it will freeze but will extreme cold break it down? I dont know.

Maybe someone with actual experience will chime in.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtn001 and monaco
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
like he said, stabil and if you dont have bring the battery some where that does for the battery trickle charger

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Full tank of gas with stabilizer in it battery tender connected to battery.d-CON rat glue traps in the Barn. Put a plug in the exhaust pipe. And cover the intake

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Tracks, enclosed cab, small electric heater, snow plow, led lights, and a full tank of gas (as needed or every other day);)

Totally on point @Eltobgi, only thing I’d add is a auxiliary battery for the winch and LED lights using a mini Blue Sea add a battery kit. Not as hard on the stock battery if you are ploughing snow lots at night. Mine stays outside all winter although it does have a cover on it. Sometimes as a treat I’ll throw on the battery charger just for sport.

Reactions: rtn001 and Eltobgi
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks. I’m looking for a snow plow/ winch so it will be used, as needed.

With our first snow of the year last night, I need to step-up the search.

Reactions: rtn001 and Eltobgi
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased the KFI 66” blade that angles, Winch mount and push tubes with a Superwinch 45s (4500lbs) with synthetic line. Has worked excellent for 3 winter, very robust gear, made in USA. Superwinch is a stout winch uses less amperage then the 3500 series.
j

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just for fun I tried to start mine last year when it was -25f actual outside, Donkey was in an unheated pole barn so maybe -20f inside, I let the pump prime and it barely turned over once before it fired off and purred like a kitten.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Make sure your antifreeze is up to handling the cold and like others said battery tender and fuel stabilizer.

I’m assuming the factory anti-freeze used is ok for cold regions?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A winch adds a lot of draw on the winch if used much so be mindful of that. I live is Wisconsin and haven't had a winter problem except for mice, and I run it once a month or so. I do add a little Stabil, and give it a charge once in a long time (no electric in my storage area for a tender). Mice have built nests in the engine compartment, and they can sure do damage if left unchecked. They actually put my lawn tractor out of commission a few years ago since they are attracted to some of the coverings on the wiring.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I went to Honda dealer today. Owner said:

- Put on a battery tender. Bring battery inside if P5 will not be used.

- Drive and use up most of the fuel, and fill tank with ethanol-free gas, add Sta-bil fuel stabilizer.

- Engine block heater not needed (this is Montana)

I think there is a Honda part 41670-HPE-000 Quick Connect to attach to battery? Are any battery tenders better than others?

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Both the Battery tender junior or the Mroinge trickle charger work very well and both come with a connector you can hook on to the battery for a quick connector. Amazon.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't have power in the storage shed that I store my P1000-3, and I may use it a few times a month during the winter for short rides. I try to give it a charge before I put it away about every 6 weeks, and I've never had a problem. Normally putting a battery on charge after 6 or 8 weeks of being idle doesn't require much of a charge at all. However, thinking about getting stranded out on a trail far from help, I've decided to buy one of those jump start lithium battery gadgets. You can buy one for $50 on up, and many will also inflate tires. So for a few bucks you can help resolve two major problems that you could experience on you ATV / UTV - dead battery, flat tire, and many have a light too. I plan on buying a Stanley 1000/500 (J5C09) for $68 from Walmart (advice is welcomed). Reviews on these jump starters seem to vary. It seems like a near necessity to me. I know my winch could easily drain my battery down quickly, and this seems to be as good of a solution as the 2 battery kits that are available.

Reactions: 70Bones
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The STANLEY 1000/500 Amp Jump Starter w/120 PSI Compressor is not a lithium ion battery. It is lead acid
Is that bad or good? What would your recommend? I don't pretend to know much these Jump Starters other than they sound like a great thing to have in your emergency kit.
Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!