P500 Wiring Question

B

bskerj

May 31, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Last week I put in a 22 in. Light bar on the front of my 500. I ordered a harness along with the light. It has two "legs" on it. I wired the light using one of the legs and stowed the other for later use. All this plugged into the Honda harness I bought from my dealer and works great.
My question is I now want to use the other leg for a work light on the back of the 500 but do not want to use up one of the other switch wires on the Honda harness. Can I just mount a inline switch on the 2nd leg or will that interfer with the main switch of the light bar ? Thanks in advance.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last week I put in a 22 in. Light bar on the front of my 500. I ordered a harness along with the light. It has two "legs" on it. I wired the light using one of the legs and stowed the other for later use. All this plugged into the Honda harness I bought from my dealer and works great.
My question is I now want to use the other leg for a work light on the back of the 500 but do not want to use up one of the other switch wires on the Honda harness. Can I just mount a inline switch on the 2nd leg or will that interfer with the main switch of the light bar ? Thanks in advance.
I doubt that it would. If you get nothing definitive here, make it up with an in line fuse, you'll know soon enough, but the fuse will protect you.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Depending how you hook light and switch up to the second leg and what type of light it is. If it's a low draw LED light a switch should work ok. Keep in mind that you'll have to have the front facing 22" light "ON" to use the rear work light though right, if you hook it up like this. If it's not a low draw LED, then the amps may be too much for the switch and it'll get hot and burn up possibly. Other thing to keep in mind is the combined draw in amps of both front and rear lights being on at the same time.

j

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Depending how you hook light and switch up to the second leg and what type of light it is. If it's a low draw LED light a switch should work ok. Keep in mind that you'll have to have the front facing 22" light "ON" to use the rear work light though right, if you hook it up like this. If it's not a low draw LED, then the amps may be too much for the switch and it'll get hot and burn up possibly. Other thing to keep in mind is the combined draw in amps of both front and rear lights being on at the same time.

j
Only install LED & That won't
Be a problem...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

j
Aren't all LED low amp?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Aren't all LED low amp?

This is a single LED flashlight that pulls 8 amps. Imagine a light bar with 40 of those!

9a474bb0e1a79850171eb68c7c9a741d

LEDs can be driven hard but that negates their benefit vs incandescent/halogen/HID.

You are correct if you say that they are "generally" more efficient. Sorry, not trying to be an a$$, just thought I had a chance to jump in with a hobby. I actually looked at updating the driver on a smaller light bar but the cost was going to be too high.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
This is a single LED flashlight that pulls 8 amps. Imagine a light bar with 40 of those!

View attachment 18829

LEDs can be driven hard but that negates their benefit vs incandescent/halogen/HID.

You are correct if you say that they are "generally" more efficient. Sorry, not trying to be an a$$, just thought I had a chance to jump in with a hobby. I actually looked at updating the driver on a smaller light bar but the cost was going to be too high.

That's kool Joey
I'm not thinking that
thanks for sharing your
knowledge

Reactions: joeymt33
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Small light bar I have
is plenty of light

DGann

DGann

Dec 20, 2015
Russellville Alabama

View attachment 18829

Don't lie @joeymt33, u was trying to be a a$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I don't know...if these will
help....

13834 7f5cb8f6d3b1d7dfe80c7d60d0dca92c Autorelayschematic

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!