P1000 Wiring switch panel

Baumer8907

Baumer8907

Apr 22, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I know I’m over thinking this but can’t wrap my head around making this work. I’m looking at a very simple set up. For now I’m staying single battery because I will only be running a soundbar and couple led strip lights. What I am wanting to do is use the 5 switch panel (currently I won’t be using them all). I’d like to link everything together so there is a master switch that powers everything else. This would include the usb, cig,volt merger and 2 of the switches to run the radio and lights. I assume if I didn’t do this the voltmeter would constantly drain the battery? I know there is a key on option. Am I better doing that so then the panel only has power with key on? I would like in rare occasions to run the radio without having to have the key on. So I guess main question is, is there a simple way to wire this up where switch 1 is for main power and the others are for radio and lights. And the chargers and volt meter come on after master is on?

2BF3FD74 218A 40BB 8988 0E44E6E7EB65

Reactions: ChadD
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would install a small second fuse box. Use the one switch to control a big relay feeding power to the fuse box. Run everything through the fuse box and it will go on and off with the switch. It doesn’t sound like your adding much but it’s still a lot to ask of one switch

Baumer8907

Baumer8907

Apr 22, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would install a small second fuse box. Use the one switch to control a big relay feeding power to the fuse box. Run everything through the fuse box and it will go on and off with the switch. It doesn’t sound like your adding much but it’s still a lot to ask of one switch

To simple it up, I could make it so the radio S1. Lights on S2 and chargers and volt meters on S3. Then I still shouldn’t have any power draw as long as all switches get turned off correct?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I was going to go several different ways before I made a move. End up with a simple setup because I could afford to do all the things I wanted at the same time so I went small and simple that can be added to as I go long and add more accessories.
I use a "TE MCP 2.8 Fuse and Relay Block Connector Kit and Cap. You can have four fuses or one relay and two fuses or two relays per kit. There also waterproof. Then all you need is a Ground block for grounding and switchs. I went with simple toggle switches. USA made Carling switches with rubber boots. As you can see by the picture the only accessories I have installed is the winch but I want to install a backup light on a switch, two sets of front lights, turn signals on seperate switches that can act as hazards if need and a horn. This setup is easy on your pocketbook because you can do a little at a time.

Link to relay box: Home » Shop » Relays / Fuses » TE MCP 2.8 Fuse & Relay Block Connector Kit with Cap
Purchase switches and boot covers at Zoro.com.
Switches: G503532777 Blue Sea 4150 WeatherDeck Toggle Switches
Boot: G4880815 Toggle Switch Cover,PK2
]

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I went the simple route with the fuse box because I’m no electrician. Somebody will come along and offer better info. The set up u want sounds simple enough but more info would help. By radio you mean a radio - Am/fm couple speakers or a Bluetooth, amp, subwoofer and tower speaker set up. A light or lights. How many and how big. Your usb charger and relay for the volt meter should be ok on a switch but I’d put an inline fuse on the charger. Your acc/cigarette plug all depends on what you plan to plug into it. You just need to put relays on anything that’s going to draw more than you switch is rated.

Baumer8907

Baumer8907

Apr 22, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went the simple route with the fuse box because I’m no electrician. Somebody will come along and offer better info. The set up u want sounds simple enough but more info would help. By radio you mean a radio - Am/fm couple speakers or a Bluetooth, amp, subwoofer and tower speaker set up. A light or lights. How many and how big. Your usb charger and relay for the volt meter should be ok on a switch but I’d put an inline fuse on the charger. Your acc/cigarette plug all depends on what you plan to plug into it. You just need to put relays on anything that’s going to draw more than you switch is rated.

Sorry yes should include more details. By radio. All I mean is a boss sound bar that plays Bluetooth it does have some lights on it. Currently it’s wired to a toggle switch on a fuse underneath the hood. Which is why I want to use a switch panels to get that wire where is more Accessible and I won’t have to open the hood to turn on the switch every time. I’m not really planning on using the 12 V charger much. But would like to have the option if I needed. I assume it would only be for running cell phone chargers nothing more.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry yes should include more details. By radio. All I mean is a boss sound bar that plays Bluetooth it does have some lights on it. Currently it’s wired to a toggle switch on a fuse underneath the hood. Which is why I want to use a switch panels to get that wire where is more Accessible and I won’t have to open the hood to turn on the switch every time. I’m not really planning on using the 12 V charger much. But would like to have the option if I needed. I assume it would only be for running cell phone chargers nothing more.
All the things you mentioned aren’t super big draw things but all of them together may be asking a lot of one master switch. Without some kind of relay I don’t see you being able to control the power to them all with one switch. Individuals with some good carling switches and inline fuses you should be good

Baumer8907

Baumer8907

Apr 22, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the things you mentioned aren’t super big draw things but all of them together may be asking a lot of one master switch. Without some kind of relay I don’t see you being able to control the power to them all with one switch. Individuals with some good carling switches and inline fuses you should be good

How about linking the volt meter and chargers to 1 switch?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!