P500 wont start or shift :-(

RJS

RJS

Mar 6, 2016
Appleton, Wisconsin
So I changed the fuel and did an oil change (in the middle of the woods which is always fun), and I figured out what the issue was...turns out the transmission was stuck between gears and the Honda went into limp mode to protect itself, hence the paddle shifters not working and it not starting. I took the tool it came with and used the manual shift at the front of the motor and it popped into a gear then I could use my paddle shifters again! Put it in neural and it fired right up. So after 3 evenings of cursing and swearing at it all it was was a single turn of a wrench and I was off to the races. So frustrating but least it's nothing big
Thanks work right away saved a trip to the Dealer!

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
So can you not start these things if you shut them off in gear?
They will not start if in between gears and a dash shows on the gear indicator.....My first gear shows that dash and has been for over 1000 miles, and I cannot stop in that gear and shut it off or it will turn over like crazy but will not start...I should get it fixed someday but, for now, I just don't shut it off in "L"

Reactions: DaBomb6988 and JTW
D

DaBomb6988

Jan 29, 2017
Lake George, NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have 2016 Rubicon with the DCT, basically the same drivetrain as the p500.
I've had the same issue. DON'T shut off the machine if it shows -- on the dash. Drive ahead a little until is shows a gear.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps
J

JTW

I have 2016 Rubicon with the DCT, basically the same drivetrain as the p500.
I've had the same issue. DON'T shut off the machine if it shows -- on the dash. Drive ahead a little until is shows a gear.
The p500 doesn't have the DCT tranny

Reactions: lee
J

Jgreen

Feb 6, 2018
Cocoa,Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I have a honda pioneer 500 2018 all i get is clicking i've had a battery charger on it and when i try to start it i still get the clicking and my dash lights stay on if I unhook the charger they go off but still won't start

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Bad battery? Poor battery or starter/fuse connections? Electrical issues are a pain for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gassygordo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a honda pioneer 500 2018 all i get is clicking i've had a battery charger on it and when i try to start it i still get the clicking and my dash lights stay on if I unhook the charger they go off but still won't start
Double check all the ground wires, battery to frame, engine ground to frame, etc. There has been some of the 1000s have the same issues all from factory assembly of loose or poorly grounded wiring. Make sure no paint is on the frame bushing where the ground wires connectors are bolted into.

Reactions: 70Bones and Mudder
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Double check all the ground wires, battery to frame, engine ground to frame, etc. There has been some of the 1000s have the same issues all from factory assembly of loose or poorly grounded wiring. Make sure no paint is on the frame bushing where the ground wires connectors are bolted into.
Jackal, where are the "battery to frame" and "engine to frame" connections? I'm curious and would like to check mine.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I fine and this happen many times with the 420.. I Always try to make sure,when I'm ready to turn it off the P500 is to make sure it's in Neutral..had the same thing last week only 300km rock it and then shown 2nd gear and just put it in neutral and ready to start..
But i didn't know we could start the P500 in any gear if use the brake.....

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!