SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
This just came across my Facebook page. More insanity ...

SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
The meat of it ...

Moab ban

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well this sucks. Are UTV’s not going to be allowed on the streets in Moab anymore???

Reactions: Isaiah
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have been going to Moab since the mid 80s. I have covered the area in Jeeps, motorcycles, and ATVs. There have been LOTS of changes to the area in 35+ years, and most of them are not good. As someone brand new to SxSs, it makes me very sad. The UTV people have gone out of control in Moab. Not all, for sure, but enough to diminish the quality of life for the Moab residents and many of the other visitors. Speeding, excessive noise, and a general lack of respect for residents and other land users. I am not a bit surprised that the town is trying to do something about the problem. Sad.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The last paragraph mentioned individual. I’m wondering if that means no individual permits?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This just came across my Facebook page. More insanity ...

Looking at this, it would appear that UTV’s will still be allowed on Moab streets, but the new ordinance lowers the speed limit for UTV’s.

Really, this is no different than anything else in life. A few always ruin things for the many. When a community opens itself up to allow an activity like this that so many communities around the country have banned, special care should be given to ensure all the rules are followed so that the community continues to allow it. The residents of the community are fed up, but they’ve been complaining for some time....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here is an article on the subject...

Check out the comments where "locals" (IE-Biden voting liberal pricks who moved there from California and washington) voice opinions.

As I've said many times, this had been coming for some time. I'm sure many groups of utvs have done nothing to help, but this is what happens when you get a bunch of "artists" hanging out. Soon it will be the 4x4's, and so on...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm curious how it got to this point. Are laws not being enforced? Are there too many violations for the cops to keep up? I don't think its too hard to send the message that off road vehicles are welcome but any bull s*** will not be tolerated. Many cities do it all over the country. Why has Moab turned into such a s*** show?

It seems the locals really have wanted the sxs's gone for a while and have no interest in having them in town or even in the area. Seems the new way of life is to use the actions of a few to impose on the rights of many. Unless you're conservative. Because if you try it the other way around you're a bigot and a racist.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Here is an article on the subject...

Check out the comments where "locals" (IE-Biden voting liberal pricks who moved there from California and washington) voice opinions.

As I've said many times, this had been coming for some time. I'm sure many groups of utvs have done nothing to help, but this is what happens when you get a bunch of "artists" hanging out. Soon it will be the 4x4's, and so on...
I understand what you are saying, DG Rider. In my earlier post, I said There have been LOTS of changes to the area in 35+ years, and most of them are not good. I didn't want to draw too fine a line on it, but I was referring, in part, to the change of the population of Moab. For just one example, it is almost impossible to find a restaurant in Moab that hasn't been Californicated. Whether I agree with their views or not, the residents have some rights to peaceful enjoyment of their premises. Please don't make me defend them any more than that!!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm curious how it got to this point. Are laws not being enforced? Are there too many violations for the cops to keep up? I don't think its too hard to send the message that off road vehicles are welcome but any bull s*** will not be tolerated. Many cities do it all over the country. Why has Moab turned into such a s*** show?

It seems the locals really have wanted the sxs's gone for a while and have no interest in having them in town or even in the area. Seems the new way of life is to use the actions of a few to impose on the rights of many. Unless you're conservative. Because if you try it the other way around you're a bigot and a racist.
That's what I'd like to know. If they are breaking laws, cite and/or arrest them?
I'm sure the comeback will be lack funding...yet they managed to build a concrete "bike path" (for a crowd that presumably likes riding bikes "off road") for miles north of town.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R

I agree that enforcement of the existing laws would be a good start. I understand that enforcing noise ordinances can be problematic. If enforcement is stepped up, I think word would get out to the OHV community pretty quickly. Like you say, if you follow the rules, all is good. If you f*** up, it will cost you. A little respect and consideration for others is always in order. Well, usually. :eek:

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I understand what you are saying, DG Rider. In my earlier post, I said There have been LOTS of changes to the area in 35+ years, and most of them are not good. I didn't want to draw too fine a line on it, but I was referring, in part, to the change of the population of Moab. For just one example, it is almost impossible to find a restaurant in Moab that hasn't been Californicated. Whether I agree with their views or not, the residents have some rights to peaceful enjoyment of their premises. Please don't make me defend them any more than that!!!
Ya know Tom...at the end of the day it won't matter, and I totally understand it to some degree. All I have to do is look around on the local trails at the constant stream of loud, flying X3's and turbo this or thats. This destructive crowd seems much more attracted to SxS's than they ever were atvs.

At this point, it think it's time to find a new "off road capitol of the world". Plenty of southern Utah elsewhere, I guess.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My cabin is about 1.1 miles as the crow flies to the atv/snowmobile trails. In winter I hear most snowmobiles, just part of the snow and no leaves that lets it travel really well.

This summer I heard more loud utv/atvs than I ever have in the past. I mean just screaming for at least a minute. I can't hear it while in the cabin, only outside. It doesn't really bother me personally, but I could see where certain people would get annoyed. And this is only my cabin, not my house.

SouthParkColorado

SouthParkColorado

Feb 4, 2018
Hartsel, CO & Aurora, CO
www.flickr.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I copied and pasted [and compressed] the comments from the Salt Lake Tribune. Covers roughly, the last 24+ hours. Interesting ..... how "moab mike" became the designated spokesman for all things "Moab" ..

Letter: ATVs are ruining Moab, and local communities should have the power to regulate them
Comments

The Salt Lake Tribune Community Table

AOh14GhQnJRNxI4301ImPYm1Zyq1sV0F5hEPbUTom22U=s96-c

Thomas Patton
a day ago

Drivers of street legal UTV/ATV's are required by law to follow and comply with motor vehicle laws. One time at a 4-way stop in Moab there was a gaggle of them to my right. As the first one was stopped there before I stopped, I stopped and let him go as is required...then the whole line of them (10-12) followed. We now avoid Moab at all costs.

riputecougar.jpg

The trouble with all terrain vehicles is that most of their owners think they are free to drive on all of the terrain.

disqus_9ioK1djc1g.jpg

dan76
▸ RIPutecougar
12 hours ago

The evidence of such an attitude is apparent throughout the area .

ootahn.jpg

ootahn
▸ dan76
12 hours ago

You don't even have to look that far. The evidence of such an attitude is apparent throughout this comment board.

Photo
Bill Revene
a day ago

Think of the entitled...aka Phil Lyman mentality.

photo.jpg

Frank Heath
a day ago

The picture with this article is wrong. It is not an atv/utv/side by side. Rather it is a 4x4 “rock crawler” suv, which is an entirely different animal.

wasatchcascade.jpg

wasatchcascade
21 hours ago

The rock crawler in the photo is not the problem per se the author is talking about; the adults in the background though, standing, gawking & waiting is part of the story line as to what has happened to the Moab region & BLM lands where UTV & four wheeling is allowed. At the spring Eastern Jeep Safari there are scads of routes (BLM) land where thousands of 4x4 riders go, & in the last decade UTV (other days in the year) collect in these same zone routes, and some of these vehicle, not trailered, drive right from town. Others use trailers, but when in town drive UTV's. Locals with UTV drive them to the post office or grocery store. UT is a one-party state & the R's seek to & do control much of it. They often vocalize the need for local control but flip that when putting in "state" mandates "as they know better". It will take a move from the Governor to change anything here, (push the legislature) for the R side in the House & Senate simply don't care about Moab or any other municipality. If citizens were "moneyed interests" and made noise, legislators would jump to attention. UTV groups during Trump's term came close to getting into National Parks & then Park officials "pushed back" and this was stopped. Their numbers are enormous & they have strong legislative backing - in rural or farm areas, they are appropriate on private land & fit in some dirt road areas. They don't need a ubiquitous web & net though in FS, BLM & then urban centers too.

E101XOR.jpg

E101XOR
18 hours ago

I don't have an ATV or any of the vehicles listed. If i did, and it was street legal, I'm not sure I'm on board with some jurisdiction passing a rule specific to that kind of vehicle that would deny me passage especially on a state road. BTW. i also don't like speed traps wherever they might be.

picture

Nate Shoup
17 hours ago

If you want to go watch birds, go to a bird refuge or a zoo. Your at MOAB, its kind of known for wheeling and riding. This article is like going to a airshow and complaining about airplanes and noise. If you dont like the noise dont attend, pretty simple. Awesome waste of a publication. Maybe next time you should write about schools and how the kids there annoy you.

ootahn.jpg

ootahn
▸ Nate Shoup
17 hours ago

The UTV issue in Moab has only been around for less than a decade, with it getting to a breaking point in the past 5 years. Telling longtime locals to essentially get over it or move is ridiculous. No one moved to Moab to live in the constant drone of UTVs from before sun up to well after sun down, every day. The entitled attitude of UTV visitors to the community is astounding.

AOh14Gg7PF7vlI82NVgH_bhiiO9aic44bjUFjtD-QC_uCBk=s96-c

dezrik
▸ ootahn
12 hours ago

A true local is for the off-road community weather it's utv or jeeps. These new residents they like to call themselves "locals" but they are in fact transplants. Once you ban atv/ohv/utv/dirt bikes etc, where do you think all the search and rescue funds are going to come from? It dang sure isn't going to be the hikers, hikers or sightseers.

ootahn.jpg

ootahn
▸ dezrik
12 hours ago

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. There isn't a more unifying issue in Moab right now than the disdain for UTVs and the way they're destroying the quality of life for residents--born-and-raised Moabites and newcomers alike. This issue crosses all political lines. And you're assertion that Moab lives or dies by motorized recreation has no basis in fact. Not only does motorized recreation make up a fraction of tourism, but the outsized negative impact on public lands and every other non-motorized user group is driving visitors away. This is especially true for UTVs.

e48195e88e8bc9988d129654735d5cc5

moab mike
▸ dezrik
7 hours ago
moab utah

grand county search and rescue is well funded without donations from the UTV crowd...and why do they donate?
because they require rescue...?

Nate Shoup
▸ ootahn
12 hours ago

Times are changing, some don't adapt. I'm sure country folk that get bought up by corporations don't like it either, still doesn't stop the change. I'm a lifetime rider of motocross. For the most part, the UTV/ATV community is some of the best people to be associated with, unfortunately for you it doesn't align with your prospective....

moab mike
▸ Nate Shoup
14 hours ago
moab utah

pure BS nate.
we in Moab didn't ask for, or want, these motorized menaces on our roads, nor do we want them ripping up our trails.
this was forced on us by the fools on the hill.
it's telling that the motor heads insist on coming where they're not wanted.
look up the numbers: motorized visitors make up less than 10% of our visitation.

Nate Shoup
▸ moab mike
12 hours ago

So you are mad at increased revenue and people coming to a park to legally do what they are allowed to. Interesting. I guess i could understand illegal activity, but not this, but I also don't believe Biden got more votes than obama

moab mike
▸ Nate Shoup
7 hours ago
moab utah

it was illegal until the jerks who preach "local control" took away local control.
and we're plenty busy without the motorized menaces.
nice spin anyway.

moab mike
14 hours ago
moab utah

it's telling what kind of visitors the UTV crowd are that they'll sue the city and county to come where they aren't welcome or wanted.
we thrive on tourists, but we sure don't need their obnoxiously loud and disruptive machines.
come visit, yes.
leave your land destroyer at home.

disqus_9ioK1djc1g.jpg

dan76
▸ moab mike
12 hours ago

I'm reminded of a past backpacking trip with a recently returned combat veteran. Our goal was for him to enjoy the tranquility of the outdoors he has loved since his toddler days. We had hiked into a remote area and set up camp. For several hours we talked of his recent experiences in the quiet of the wilderness. That is until a group of folks riding UTVs showed, set up camp about 100 meters away and started a series of raucous drinking games. Both of us expected a sleepless night and sure enough our predictions were accurate.
As the early AM hours progressed, he slipped away but returned shortly afterwards. Moments later the generator coughed and fell silent bringing an end to the lights and music.
While I thought I knew what he had done, it wasn't until years later he confessed to sabotaging both the generator and several UTVs. He expressed a wish the group had brought sufficient tow ropes to drag the disabled machines out.

SterlingMorrison.jpg

SterlingMorrison
13 hours ago

In rural Utah, ATV's and UTV's are one notch below guns. These hilljacks truly believe they have a constitutional right to ride their "wheelers" anywhere they damn well please.

4strings4ever.jpg

4strings4ever
13 hours ago
Earth, at a very interesting time.

Just wait, I am sure someone is working on rigging a Jeep with an oil drill....and Utah will legalize it.

Svlad
11 hours ago

Ah, conservatives and their "state's rights" principles! Turns out those rights belong only to the states, not to local bodies as a sane person would expect.

photo.jpg

Ray Smith
5 hours ago

Can I still ride my unicorn there?

4c3120c5e16fbdbb981faf4008d24937

Helpontheway
3 hours ago
Traveler of Time and Space

Utah is becoming less and less attractive to visit. We used to visit the Moab area with our bicycles a few times each year up until a couple of years ago, after watching the town turn into a red rock racetrack with frequent Main Street traffic jams, and Arches becoming unbearably packed. In 2017, we decided to gas up in Green River and stay on I-70 for another hour to Grand Junction. The lack of crowds and vistas at Colorado National Monument were a breath of fresh air, without the UTV noise and congested traffic. We have returned several times since, and look forward to exploring the area more this year.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Drivers of street legal UTV/ATV's are required by law to follow and comply with motor vehicle laws. One time at a 4-way stop in Moab there was a gaggle of them to my right. As the first one was stopped there before I stopped, I stopped and let him go as is required...then the whole line of them (10-12) followed. We now avoid Moab at all costs.
Yep, purely a matter of inconsiderate people, who think that they’re in a procession (like a funeral) and shouldn’t be separated. I can’t see this as political, just simple human nature that in the end will result in the privileges of riding our UTV’s from the hotel to the trailhead being banned for everyone....

It would be best if the police wrote tickets with hefty fines to UTV riders who did what that group did to you, and that news would travel fast. You may legally ride your UTV on Moab streets, but follow all the traffic laws that you would in your car, or pay steeply......🤷‍♂️

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Seeing this same sentiment grown in Silverton, CO. Businesses love the money coming in but all it takes is a minority of Arseholes to screw things up for everyone.
Yep. I spent a week in Silverton last August. I was in my Jeep. :) There were more Jeeps, UTVs, ATVs, and motorcycles than I have ever seen there. :eek: Most of the UTV crowd seemed to be pretty well behaved though. My perception was that most of the idiots I saw there, were on rental machines. The Silverton crowd generally seems to be more mature than the Moab crowd. Of course, there is a very short season for trail riding in Silverton. I have been visiting the San Juans since 1976, but it was so busy that I am not sure that I will return. 😢

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!