• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon X vs. R in East Coast Trails

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by RideRed85, Mar 31, 2019.

1. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

So there wasn't any pressure on them while weight was on the suspension?

2. ohanacreek

ohanacreek My EcoBoost has I4WD
    Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The adjustment nuts that decides when the main spring takes over was set to let the main spring do most of the work.

Still rode pretty good in slow rough stuff, with a knowledgeable suspension guy you could get a better ride out of factory setup.

JTW likes this.
  3. gtsum2

gtsum2 New Member

Saw a couple in west va this weekend and both were R’s. Didn’t seem to have any issue on the trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RideRed85 likes this.
  4. ohanacreek

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The R I drove was 73" Wide with 32" tires it had no issues on anything at RRB or New River Unit. He said he had to back up once but I had to backup several times at 69" in my 1000-5 so I am not seeing how thats an issue when the trail is SUPER tight. The Travel made that R very STABLE, I got back in my Pioneer and I feel like I was sitting on a bar stool.

5. Dragon21

Dragon21 In my defense, I was left unsupervised
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Watching some of the videos that have been posted on facebook, the suspension articulation looks awesome. Especially when compared to the Pioneer. Hope there is videos of the R and X on the same trails at some point to see how they handle the technical stuff comparatively,

Ragnar406 likes this.
  6. ohanacreek

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I’ve got vids leading/following the R not sure what they show yet I’ll try to mess with it tonight.

RideRed85 and Dragon21 like this.
  7. RideRed85

RideRed85 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    NIce! Are you thinking about getting a Talon? I might have you confused with someone else, but I think I remember your screen name in discussion on another forum a few years ago when the RZR S 1000 came out. I never did buy one, but I'm excited to see the Talon running with it. The S 1000 is fast. I saw a video from MudMan Adventures when he rented a Talon R on Rockhouse on Trail 31. That's my favorite trail on the system because it's tight and has a lot of switch backs. He didn't seem to have any problems with the R on that trail.

Please post those comparisons if you can, would be interested to see as well.

8. Reneb3

Reneb3 Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I have an R and was concerned w the turning radius but it has not been a problem. I have had it on tight trails here in the South Carolina and have only had to back up a few times. It does sling mud on you, but it was a very wet weekend and we will see how it does next time. I did put a rear windshield on it to keep the mud and rocks off my head. The width has only been a challenge a few times as well. Trees don't move much and I was able to squeeze though. I like the bar stool analogy, it rides tons better than my Pioneer and I am able to keep up with the rest of the group with no drama, unless you are behind us. My head is not the only place it slings mud. The Pioneer bar stool does make rear visibility better though.

9. BigOL3

BigOL3 Well-Known Member

Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
    Ownership:
    1000-5
    Well did you get the X or the R?

10. Puller810

Puller810 New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    We bought an X, thought about an R and choose something more nimble for Michigan tight trails. We were also concerned about the low speed ride of the R. Been to Haspen Acres with it too, was real impressed with the engine braking and stability. The short wheelbase will buck a little more in the rough stuff we've found. Still feeling it out but we had it in N. Michigan in some tighter twisty sections. I ran a 10 mile loop twice as vision was good to run it hard. It seemed the harder I pushed the machine the better it performed. I was running with a 2019 xp1000 and just drove away from him. Never felt out of control either, but was certainly at my driving limits for the time spent in the machine.
    Made some preload adjustments when I got home to allow a little more set in (already full soft on compression adjustment). Gonna log a couple hundred this weekend in various conditions, hopefully the small change helps the low speed ride though the small choppy stuff. It's a bit rigid for my liking.
    My dealer just got a green R in, I'm going tomorrow to take it for a spin. Might buy it and turbo it for a dune toy. Something about that green I like alot!

RideRed85 likes this.
  11. RideRed85

RideRed85 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I haven't bought yet and am in no real hurry. Would like to be able to spend some time in one on a test drive - X or R either one. I may rent the R from Mountaintop Adventures in WV just to be able to spend a lot of time with it before purchasing. It's a lot of money for me so I'm being cautious. I know, you only live once LOL.

BWAF and BigOL3 like this.
  12. RideRed85

RideRed85 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Honest question for the Talon R owners: Can you "steer with the rear" or steer with the gas pedal with your machine? Whichever model I go for, I want to be able to blip the throttle in two wheel drive and drift the rear end around corners when the urge strikes. Seems like this may also mitigate the turning radius concerns? This is part of the fun factor for me and wondering if R owners can chime in.

Dwight and BWAF like this.
  13. JTW

JTW God's favorite member.
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    @my99svt

my99svt, RideRed85 and BWAF like this.
  14. JimmyTalon

JimmyTalon Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    RideRed85 likes this.
  15. MFG

MFG Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I can get my R sideways with the throttle at at any time including on pavement. The tires grip very well climbing etc, but they can't hold the power when you put your foot down. Mine will spin the tires on pavement from a dead stop easily and in the dirt and grass it just blows them away.

GPR1500SC and RideRed85 like this.
  16. Reneb3

Reneb3 Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    Same here. The stock tire grip to much to just blip it about. I have no issue w the turning radius on trails. every now and then I get to blip but mostly not. I’m sure it’s a skill I will get w time.

RideRed85 likes this.
  17. my99svt

my99svt I identify as a lesbian
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I power around most tight corners. I've only 3 point turned on some trails the pioneers did as well.

JTW and RideRed85 like this.
  18. jasond

jasond Active Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Yes, I can break the rear-end loose no problem. I've got 29" Bighorns on my machine and it had no trouble breaking free in corners last weekend at Brimstone.

To answer the X vs R question that's been asked a few times in this thread I can say that I own an R and demo'd the X where Honda was offering demo rides at Brimstone. Overall, I think I made the right choice with the R, but that's not intended to take away anything from the X. The turning radius of the X is night and day better than the R - the steering wheel lock-to-lock turns quite a bit further and it's immediately obvious that it turns sharper. I can't say I had any problems with the R in tight trails (made a few 3-point turns and even some tight/sketchy trail turnarounds), but it isn't as agile/nimble as the X.

The suspension on the R confirmed my decision, though. I'd say as good as the turning radius is on the X over the R....the R's suspension is that much better over the X. The shocks on the X that I demo'd were all set on soft and it doesn't compare to the R in my personal opinion. I ran it as hard as I could on the demo course allowing the car in front of me to get some distance and on the descending washouts (mountain speedbumps) the X bucks the rear side-to-side. The R tracks noticeably straighter in that situation. The R also seemed noticeably plusher than the X, but still not RZR-plush.
    Regardless of which model you choose I think they're going to be solid machines and plenty of fun. It just depends on what characteristics you prefer for your riding style.

RideRed85 likes this.
  19. RideRed85

RideRed85 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Jasond - awesome, thanks for the reply! I'm jealous of your opportunity to demo both at Brimstone. That would definitely help me make my decision. If the R has better ride quality and still has the sporty feel to the ride, that would easily make my decision. Below is a low quality video of the X performing the way I like to ride when the mood strikes. If the R can kick the rear like this, I would be sold. What do you think?

Do you have a picture of your machine with the 29" Bighorns? I'm kindof old school on tires. Bighorn Originals have served me very well on my Rincon and also on my Rzr when I had it.

PS I see your link to your YouTube channel. I think I've seen every YT video on the Talon lol, but definitely have seen yours. Very professional and cool.

20. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Rode the outlaw trails in Sanderson here in wild wonderful West Virginia today, the R did very well, rode with 800 rzr, can am 1000 commander, can am maverick 1000 turbo, and two Arctic cat 1000 4 wheelers. All machines did good, the maverick got high centered and had to winch downhill, that was funny, but I did have to hit reverse two times in tight tree paths that was cut to bypass a couple large downed trees.
    The first couple rides we thought (my wife and I) the ride was harsh but after setting rear shock adjustments to softest setting it seems to ride better.
    We are very happy with the Talon R.we can be at Sanderson trails in about 55 minutes from the house and the closest Hatfield and McCoy is about 1 hour so we can ride two vastly different trails in about a hour from home, and Talon R has rode both very well.

RideRed85 likes this.