ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So there wasn't any pressure on them while weight was on the suspension?
The adjustment nuts that decides when the main spring takes over was set to let the main spring do most of the work.

Still rode pretty good in slow rough stuff, with a knowledgeable suspension guy you could get a better ride out of factory setup.

Reactions: JTW
G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Saw a couple in west va this weekend and both were R’s. Didn’t seem to have any issue on the trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RideRed85
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Saw a couple in west va this weekend and both were R’s. Didn’t seem to have any issue on the trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The R I drove was 73" Wide with 32" tires it had no issues on anything at RRB or New River Unit. He said he had to back up once but I had to backup several times at 69" in my 1000-5 so I am not seeing how thats an issue when the trail is SUPER tight. The Travel made that R very STABLE, I got back in my Pioneer and I feel like I was sitting on a bar stool.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The R I drove was 73" Wide with 32" tires it had no issues on anything at RRB or New River Unit. He said he had to back up once but I had to backup several times at 69" in my 1000-5 so I am not seeing how thats an issue when the trail is SUPER tight. The Travel made that R very STABLE, I got back in my Pioneer and I feel like I was sitting on a bar stool.

Watching some of the videos that have been posted on facebook, the suspension articulation looks awesome. Especially when compared to the Pioneer. Hope there is videos of the R and X on the same trails at some point to see how they handle the technical stuff comparatively,

Reactions: Ragnar406
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Watching some of the videos that have been posted on facebook, the suspension articulation looks awesome. Especially when compared to the Pioneer. Hope there is videos of the R and X on the same trails at some point to see how they handle the technical stuff comparatively,

I’ve got vids leading/following the R not sure what they show yet I’ll try to mess with it tonight.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X

NIce! Are you thinking about getting a Talon? I might have you confused with someone else, but I think I remember your screen name in discussion on another forum a few years ago when the RZR S 1000 came out. I never did buy one, but I'm excited to see the Talon running with it. The S 1000 is fast. I saw a video from MudMan Adventures when he rented a Talon R on Rockhouse on Trail 31. That's my favorite trail on the system because it's tight and has a lot of switch backs. He didn't seem to have any problems with the R on that trail.

I’ve got vids leading/following the R not sure what they show yet I’ll try to mess with it tonight.

Please post those comparisons if you can, would be interested to see as well.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
I have an R and was concerned w the turning radius but it has not been a problem. I have had it on tight trails here in the South Carolina and have only had to back up a few times. It does sling mud on you, but it was a very wet weekend and we will see how it does next time. I did put a rear windshield on it to keep the mud and rocks off my head. The width has only been a challenge a few times as well. Trees don't move much and I was able to squeeze though. I like the bar stool analogy, it rides tons better than my Pioneer and I am able to keep up with the rest of the group with no drama, unless you are behind us. My head is not the only place it slings mud. The Pioneer bar stool does make rear visibility better though.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This post is mainly geared toward Talon owners who ride in the East. Wooded trails, etc. I ride Hatfield McCoy a lot as well as other similar type trails in WV, and I am seeing positives to both the X and R in this type of terrain. What are others doing?

X Positives
Tighter turning radius
Potentially quicker and more agile steering
Perhaps a greater "fun factor" due to the agility and ability to "steer with the rear"
Contributed by Dragon21: You stay cleaner in the X because the wheels are tucked further in the wheel wells.

R Postives
Ride quality at slower / moderate trail speeds
Contributed by JACKAL: Longer wheel base can help with taller rock ledges and ground clearance.

Any other thoughts or opinions?
Well did you get the X or the R?

P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
We bought an X, thought about an R and choose something more nimble for Michigan tight trails. We were also concerned about the low speed ride of the R. Been to Haspen Acres with it too, was real impressed with the engine braking and stability. The short wheelbase will buck a little more in the rough stuff we've found. Still feeling it out but we had it in N. Michigan in some tighter twisty sections. I ran a 10 mile loop twice as vision was good to run it hard. It seemed the harder I pushed the machine the better it performed. I was running with a 2019 xp1000 and just drove away from him. Never felt out of control either, but was certainly at my driving limits for the time spent in the machine.
Made some preload adjustments when I got home to allow a little more set in (already full soft on compression adjustment). Gonna log a couple hundred this weekend in various conditions, hopefully the small change helps the low speed ride though the small choppy stuff. It's a bit rigid for my liking.
My dealer just got a green R in, I'm going tomorrow to take it for a spin. Might buy it and turbo it for a dune toy. Something about that green I like alot!

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well did you get the X or the R?

I haven't bought yet and am in no real hurry. Would like to be able to spend some time in one on a test drive - X or R either one. I may rent the R from Mountaintop Adventures in WV just to be able to spend a lot of time with it before purchasing. It's a lot of money for me so I'm being cautious. I know, you only live once LOL.

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honest question for the Talon R owners: Can you "steer with the rear" or steer with the gas pedal with your machine? Whichever model I go for, I want to be able to blip the throttle in two wheel drive and drift the rear end around corners when the urge strikes. Seems like this may also mitigate the turning radius concerns? This is part of the fun factor for me and wondering if R owners can chime in.

Reactions: Dwight and BWAF
J

JTW

Honest question for the Talon R owners: Can you "steer with the rear" or steer with the gas pedal with your machine? Whichever model I go for, I want to be able to blip the throttle in two wheel drive and drift the rear end around corners when the urge strikes. Seems like this may also mitigate the turning radius concerns? This is part of the fun factor for me and wondering if R owners can chime in.
@my99svt

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honestly, the stock tires grip dirt so well I can't blip the arse around. If that was important I'd be tire shopping for one of the harder compounds and close spaced knobs. There are several to choose from now . It's not cheap, but it's a variable you can control.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can get my R sideways with the throttle at at any time including on pavement. The tires grip very well climbing etc, but they can't hold the power when you put your foot down. Mine will spin the tires on pavement from a dead stop easily and in the dirt and grass it just blows them away.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
Honestly, the stock tires grip dirt so well I can't blip the arse around. If that was important I'd be tire shopping for one of the harder compounds and close spaced knobs. There are several to choose from now . It's not cheap, but it's a variable you can control.
Same here. The stock tire grip to much to just blip it about. I have no issue w the turning radius on trails. every now and then I get to blip but mostly not. I’m sure it’s a skill I will get w time.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Yes, I can break the rear-end loose no problem. I've got 29" Bighorns on my machine and it had no trouble breaking free in corners last weekend at Brimstone.

To answer the X vs R question that's been asked a few times in this thread I can say that I own an R and demo'd the X where Honda was offering demo rides at Brimstone. Overall, I think I made the right choice with the R, but that's not intended to take away anything from the X. The turning radius of the X is night and day better than the R - the steering wheel lock-to-lock turns quite a bit further and it's immediately obvious that it turns sharper. I can't say I had any problems with the R in tight trails (made a few 3-point turns and even some tight/sketchy trail turnarounds), but it isn't as agile/nimble as the X.

The suspension on the R confirmed my decision, though. I'd say as good as the turning radius is on the X over the R....the R's suspension is that much better over the X. The shocks on the X that I demo'd were all set on soft and it doesn't compare to the R in my personal opinion. I ran it as hard as I could on the demo course allowing the car in front of me to get some distance and on the descending washouts (mountain speedbumps) the X bucks the rear side-to-side. The R tracks noticeably straighter in that situation. The R also seemed noticeably plusher than the X, but still not RZR-plush.
Regardless of which model you choose I think they're going to be solid machines and plenty of fun. It just depends on what characteristics you prefer for your riding style.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, I can break the rear-end loose no problem. I've got 29" Bighorns on my machine and it had no trouble breaking free in corners last weekend at Brimstone.

To answer the X vs R question that's been asked a few times in this thread I can say that I own an R and demo'd the X where Honda was offering demo rides at Brimstone. Overall, I think I made the right choice with the R, but that's not intended to take away anything from the X. The turning radius of the X is night and day better than the R - the steering wheel lock-to-lock turns quite a bit further and it's immediately obvious that it turns sharper. I can't say I had any problems with the R in tight trails (made a few 3-point turns and even some tight/sketchy trail turnarounds), but it isn't as agile/nimble as the X.

The suspension on the R confirmed my decision, though. I'd say as good as the turning radius is on the X over the R....the R's suspension is that much better over the X. The shocks on the X that I demo'd were all set on soft and it doesn't compare to the R in my personal opinion. I ran it as hard as I could on the demo course allowing the car in front of me to get some distance and on the descending washouts (mountain speedbumps) the X bucks the rear side-to-side. The R tracks noticeably straighter in that situation. The R also seemed noticeably plusher than the X, but still not RZR-plush.
Regardless of which model you choose I think they're going to be solid machines and plenty of fun. It just depends on what characteristics you prefer for your riding style.

Jasond - awesome, thanks for the reply! I'm jealous of your opportunity to demo both at Brimstone. That would definitely help me make my decision. If the R has better ride quality and still has the sporty feel to the ride, that would easily make my decision. Below is a low quality video of the X performing the way I like to ride when the mood strikes. If the R can kick the rear like this, I would be sold. What do you think?

Do you have a picture of your machine with the 29" Bighorns? I'm kindof old school on tires. Bighorn Originals have served me very well on my Rincon and also on my Rzr when I had it.

PS I see your link to your YouTube channel. I think I've seen every YT video on the Talon lol, but definitely have seen yours. Very professional and cool.

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rode the outlaw trails in Sanderson here in wild wonderful West Virginia today, the R did very well, rode with 800 rzr, can am 1000 commander, can am maverick 1000 turbo, and two Arctic cat 1000 4 wheelers. All machines did good, the maverick got high centered and had to winch downhill, that was funny, but I did have to hit reverse two times in tight tree paths that was cut to bypass a couple large downed trees.
The first couple rides we thought (my wife and I) the ride was harsh but after setting rear shock adjustments to softest setting it seems to ride better.
We are very happy with the Talon R.we can be at Sanderson trails in about 55 minutes from the house and the closest Hatfield and McCoy is about 1 hour so we can ride two vastly different trails in about a hour from home, and Talon R has rode both very well.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!