DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It looks real good , go for a father's day ride. Are you going to do any mods ?.
Too hot here. 106 for a high today. It's the "off season" here, but it's kinda ok to give me time to check the machine over. Already found a loose hose clamp weeping a touch of coolant. Some things never change.

I've never been a mod-a-holic. Winch, top, and rearview mirror will probably do it. Seems like tops are on back-order everywhere.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Congrats @DG Rider!! That silver looks awesome (second to red 😜). Can’t wait to see the new rig in your Shots From The Trail 👍🏼

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So, to elaborate on the OP, yesterday I traded my 500 in at Nash powersports in Mesa for a 2020 700-2 deluxe.

I dread shopping for a new machine. To the point that it will stop me from doing so. The bait and switch. The mystery fees. The underhanded dealings. Etc. The process with Vince G at Nash was probably the easiest I've ever done. No bulls***, with straight up FAIR numbers. I will be going back for the next one...but I'll cover that in the appropriate post.

Back to the machine...
I was one of the "OG" 700 owners back in December 2013. To say I was happy with it is a lie, and spent some time b****ing about at, as many will attest. Namely, its struggles with power/gearing at high altitudes. Many will be flat out shocked that I bought another.

So what changed my attitude?
8900. That's the number of miles it hauled my fat ass through remote AZ desert WITHOUT fail, and the cost for that (outside of routine maintenance) was 1 $3 output shaft seal, and nothing else. Not even brake pads. And I didn't sell it voluntarily, but it was still going strong...or as strong as a 700 goes, anyway.
There were some unforeseen lean times in there after that 1st purchase. Might have even had to lose it Had I not already paid it off. Riding is my "thing", and had I another machine with some of those problems they bring, it might have had to sit for months to be fixed. So when I stopped hating on it, I realized I was very lucky to have it. In the end, it provided 10,000 good memories to every incident where it pissed me off.

Other factors that persuaded me to go with the 700 again:
1) The 2 seater "fixes" some of the complaints I had with the 4. Its ~ 150 lbs lighter. The shortened roof makes it quieter, and the lack of foot wells leave plenty of room for "airbox mods". And coming from the 500, that ride I thought wasn't all that good will probably feel like a Cadillac. I never actually wanted the 4 seater...that was a nod to the wife to take the inlaws with me, but that was kinda where it was in its element. And to my eye, the 700-2 is the best looking sxs there is.

2) There is now a few tuning options to address power, if needed.

3) I just don't like the trend of "bigger" that's going on. I sat there looking at the 1000 yesterday. It's a huge machine. Huge. And see below...

4) Price? Everyone will ask why I didn't get the 1000? Good question. I had a deposit on a 1000-3 deal that fell through. Immediately, I began to have misgivings about buying it over the 700 (it really shouldn't be a tough decision, but it was for me), and I felt some relief after it fell through. There are plenty of things the 1000 brings to the table, but most of them mean nothing to me. And it still has some bugs to work out. I could have gotten a base 700 cheaper, but still got the deluxe, so it wasn't "just price" by any means.

5) Attitude is everything? When the 700 came out, fanboys proclaimed it the greatest SxS on earth, and it just wasn't. Now, it's almost the forgotten Pioneer, and deserves more attention than it gets. I know what a 700 can do when it's not hampered by power/gearing issues, and I get a kick out of showing up race horses with a donkey. And I don't live at 5000' anymore.

I guess the best summary is that the 700 still comes the closest to what I want in a sxs of what's out there.

1st short ride impressions were mixed:
The engine is mechanically much quieter than I remember (allbeit, with no top) and while I feel the 700 steers lightly, the power steering is the s*** for sure. Seat is definitely more cushy than the 500, and those "torso bars" that look terrible in pics are actually not bad at all.

The bad was that with 5.5 miles, the 1st rides through the parking lot, the machine almost flat refused to shift into 3rd in auto, revving out instead. Paddle shifting showed that the machine was perfectly capable of doing so, but just wasn't trying (like a shift mapping thing). I mentioned this to the salesman, who got in, and of course, it shifted near perfect. I tried again when loading, and it was better, but still not what I know from a 700.
Once home, I checked the oil level and it was perfect. Unhooked the battery for a while, and then took it out for a few miles, and it seems that the shifting is coming good. I don't remember my 1st one doing this at all, but it's possible I just never got up that fast for those 1st few miles. And I honestly don't remember test driving it at the dealer at all...

At this point, I'm gonna chalk it up to being new. I guess it has a year to break if it's going to (which will probably be 2-3000 miles for me), but those last few loops it was shifting right.

So there it is. My second foray into 700 ownership. Adios, 500...

And yes, it took me a s***load of time to type this.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I took it out after doing some preemptive maintenance, like tightening hose clamps and anti seizing spark arrestor bolts. This is only like 5 miles of riding...

The whole shifting thing kind of has me worried a bit. It's kind of hard to figure... 90% of the time it shifts perfectly, but out of the blue it'll hold second gear way up in the RPM and won't shift until you basically let almost all the way off the gas or flip the paddle.
It almost seems as if it has to be turning or bouncing when this happens, but just when I think that's what's going on it seems to stop. Checked the oil again and if anything it is a touch overfilled like we run them but nothing crazy.
And again, I don't remember my first machine doing this at all. In fact I have zero complaints with the way my first 700 shifted, though I've seen other people complain.
@HondaTech you've driven plenty of these showroom fresh. Any input?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What did you think of the 500?
That's an interesting question. I'd say it is a low geared, durable, rough riding, nimble, but somewhat tippy, sxs. Esp stock. If you have 50" trails (or legit super tight trails), it's an easy choice. If not, I can't say I'd ever buy it over a larger machine. It's almost to better to think of it as an old school foreman 450 with 2 seats and a roof.
I'm planningto do a goodbye post at some point...

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
So I took it out after doing some preemptive maintenance, like tightening hose clamps and anti seizing spark arrestor bolts. This is only like 5 miles of riding...

The whole shifting thing kind of has me worried a bit. It's kind of hard to figure... 90% of the time it shifts perfectly, but out of the blue it'll hold second gear way up in the RPM and won't shift until you basically let almost all the way off the gas or flip the paddle.
It almost seems as if it has to be turning or bouncing when this happens, but just when I think that's what's going on it seems to stop. Checked the oil again and if anything it is a touch overfilled like we run them but nothing crazy.
And again, I don't remember my first machine doing this at all. In fact I have zero complaints with the way my first 700 shifted, though I've seen other people complain.
@HondaTech you've driven plenty of these showroom fresh. Any input?
I hope your shifting gets better. I'm ki d of looking g at the 700 as well
That's an interesting question. I'd say it is a low geared, durable, rough riding, nimble, but somewhat tippy, sxs. Esp stock. If you have 50" trails (or legit super tight trails), it's an easy choice. If not, I can't say I'd ever buy it over a larger machine. It's almost to better to think of it as an old school foreman 450 with 2 seats and a roof.
I'm planningto do a goodbye post at some point...
I hope your shifting get better. I ask cuz I have a 500 thinking of getting a 700 we do have quite a few 50 inch trails though. At any rate dont you think the 700 would be better suited with the pioneer 500 5 speed transmission than the 3 speed it comes with?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I hope your shifting gets better. I'm ki d of looking g at the 700 as well

I hope your shifting get better. I ask cuz I have a 500 thinking of getting a 700 we do have quite a few 50 inch trails though. At any rate dont you think the 700 would be better suited with the pioneer 500 5 speed transmission than the 3 speed it comes with?
Absolutely, the 700 would benefit from more gears. Preferably one lower than 1st, and another higher than 3rd. Or a low range.
The torque converter drivetrain has its quirks, but it also has magical qualities. I still think it hooks up in slop better than anything else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!