Youth ATV

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at getting a 50cc atv for the oldest boy who is 4. Already worn out two used electric atvs, so don’t want to go that route.

Stopped by the local dealer that sells most makes, but they only had a grizzly 90, which seemed a little big for him size wise.

Looking at Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki as they all make a 50. Plan is to get him a 50 now, then his little brother will use it when he graduates to a bigger machine, so I do plan on keeping it for a while, which is the main reason I’m shying away from the Chinese versions. Wish Honda still made a 50.

Im open to used, but most I see aren't far from the price of new to make sense going that route.

Anyone have any experience with any of the three models?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at getting a 50cc atv for the oldest boy who is 4. Already worn out two used electric atvs, so don’t want to go that route.

Stopped by the local dealer that sells most makes, but they only had a grizzly 90, which seemed a little big for him size wise.

Looking at Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki as they all make a 50. Plan is to get him a 50 now, then his little brother will use it when he graduates to a bigger machine, so I do plan on keeping it for a while, which is the main reason I’m shying away from the Chinese versions. Wish Honda still made a 50.

Im open to used, but most I see aren't far from the price of new to make sense going that route.

You can limit the throttle on the 90 I believe but if physical/dimension fit isn’t there then I fully understand the thinking.
We’ve been passing around a used Suzuki 50 in the family for like a decade. Replaced the carb once for like $30-ish for a new chinesium one. Honestly I think any of those three brands will way outlast your kids and the neighborhood kids and maybe even grandkids. Don’t run it into a tree or pond, don’t leave untreated fuel in it and do the basic maintenance. Fouling plugs will likely be your only battle.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

I didn't go down that road but went down the Kymco road for my daughter, I think it was a a 90.

Front brakes were drum and sucked terrible, top speed was like 18MPH - Rear brake was a disc that worked just fine and other than many rear disc brake pads - it just started\ran with zero maintenance other than fluids and air filter - TBH, that little 2WD was awesome and cheap - went everywhere within reason, damn, I used to ride it for going to q quick run to spot deer in the evenings since it was lite and quiet.

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info guys. Good to know about the Kymco experience and that they use those engines in Kawasakis. Found a dealer about an hour away with both 50 and 90 Kawasaki in stock, guess we will have to take a drive.

There is actually a Kymco dealer minutes from the house, but they don’t show anything under 150s in stock. Will have to stop by to confirm.

And I agree on the fact that I will get some time on the machine haha. Buddy had a Honda 90 for his son years ago and that was always a blast to tool around on.

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So happened to be browsing the local Craigslist last weekend and saw an add for a Kawasaki kfx 50. Emailed the guy and met him the next morning about 45 minutes from the house.
IMG 5639

2006 2 stroke. Has adjustable throttle, oil injected and the tires are barely worn. Crack in one rear plastic that is stitched back together. She goes pretty good with me on it down the driveway. Now got to hide it in the shed till his birthday.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So happened to be browsing the local Craigslist last weekend and saw an add for a Kawasaki kfx 50. Emailed the guy and met him the next morning about 45 minutes from the house.
View attachment 439751
2006 2 stroke. Has adjustable throttle, oil injected and the tires are barely worn. Crack in one rear plastic that is stitched back together. She goes pretty good with me on it down the driveway. Now got to hide it in the shed till his birthday.
🤘😎

Don't forget pictures when he gets it!

P.O.I.D.H

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

thats awesome!!

omg - why wait!!!! lol

View attachment 439751

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep the fuel off whenever your not using it, these and the Suzuki 80s were bad about overflowing the carburetor and flooding the crankcase.
Thanks for the info. I do plan on going through it and changing fluids, plugs and adding fresh non e gas.

Reactions: ChadD
advertisement