Custom Winch Mount

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Got to work today fabricating my winch mount.

Started out with 1/4" x 6" flatbar, cut out the notches, ground down the edges. Heated it with the torch and bent the ends to match the angled square tubing.

Image1 4

Image8 3

Image5 3

Tomorrow I'll start boxing around the tubes and reenforcing the area.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice... And just in time... My winch arrived today. Lol

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
yes great job thanks for posting pictures

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Was tooling around in the garage today, cut out 3 more plates and an assortment of flat backing plates and angle iron plates.
Going to keep one as a template, as it's a major pain to heat up 1/4" thick steel and guess as to how far to bend the ends.

Image10 3

I might have a few to part with, we'll see how it goes.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
Was tooling around in the garage today, cut out 3 more plates and an assortment of flat backing plates and angle iron plates.
Going to keep one as a template, as it's a major pain to heat up 1/4" thick steel and guess as to how far to bend the ends.

I might have a few to part with, we'll see how it goes.

Yes, please

Y

Yooper

Sep 17, 2013
If you do decide to sell one let me know. Yooper

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I too would like to purchase one of your Winch mounts if you decide to sell one.
Warn and other companies sound like they are a few months out on theirs... I need one sooner for my plow- we got our first snow yesterday----ERRRrrrrr...

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been looking at how I am going to build a winch mount. I would be very interested in seeing your design completed. Keep the pics coming.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Been out of the garage for the past week or so, been out of town and busy elsewhere. Will try to put some time in tomorrow and get a few things done.

A few guys here have requested some plates, I'll try to accommodate everyone if I can or at least till I run out of materials. Of course I know where to find more lol!

J

jmoor126

Sep 23, 2013
I will be interested in purchasing one as well. Please let me know when you are ready to sell them! Thanks!

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Time has been short, but fabricated some brackets and drilled them out for a fit.
This is 1/4" steel that surrounds the tube. I know it's way over kill, but I wanted to make it stout.

Image2 4

Image1 5

Image 7

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
is the winch going to mount upside down or on top of the plate ?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
The winch must be mounted upside down with this plate arrangement.
The particular winch that I have is a bit long and contacts the square tubing. I'm going to have to use one inch square tubing as spacers to mount my winch.
It's not as easy as I had hoped it would be.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
honda kinda made it hard with the tubing angled outward and not much below to attach anything to

C

chesterl35

Aug 7, 2013
As long as it is a sealed winch you can mount it in any orientation ad long as it is underwound. Mine is upside down as well

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Had to hit the reset button and redesign this. Have to give credit to bigc for the design idea.

Basically I used (2) 6" flat bar plates and trimmed off the areas that were in the way. I'll still probably keep the first design plate for using stiffing bars and also maybe a place to mount a light bar.
Anyway, got it mocked up today, waiting on some brackets that I ordered.

Image3 6

Image 8

Image5 4

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
thats awesome bigriver you got the mount down low enough to run the wide spool pro advantage winch i think you will like it better mounted down there and it wont rake havoc on your bumper frame work its good that we can share ideas on here this is my favorite site by far

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Got the winch mount brackets in today and they fit PERFECT!

Image 9

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!