P700 Cold weather starting

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
The last 2 times I rode it was cold. In the high 30’s when I started. When I got out to the main road, within 1/8 mile, the Pioneer wouldn’t go over 30 mph. It would shake and sputter.
After going out in the country for a few miles it runs fine and the rest of the day it runs fine
Do I need to let it warm up awhile before hitting the road

advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes let it warm up. I would recommend until it hits 2 bars on the temp gauge. I had my horses get out once, so jumped in my 700 to try and turn them back home. It wouldn't shift out of first gear and was wondering what the heck was going on. After it warmed up everything was fine so I would definitely get a little heat temp before trying to go to fast.

Reactions: Backwoods
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I treat my P1k5 the same way I do my vehicles.

Start them, wait one minute and go. That’s it. Once it has oil pressure it’s good to go.

I’ll take it easy on it till reaching operation temp but that’s it.

I don’t use ethanol in my small engines either...makes a big difference in small motors in the cold.

the sputtering could be that you have water in your fuel.

if you want , you could use one of these heating pads on your oil sump pan.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
I went out today. It was 34 degrees. I let it warm up about 5 minutes. I got to the main road and it wouldn’t go over 20. Ran really rough.
after I hit the country it was fine. By the time I got back to the main road it went 40 no problem

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I went out today. It was 34 degrees. I let it warm up about 5 minutes. I got to the main road and it wouldn’t go over 20. Ran really rough.
after I hit the country it was fine. By the time I got back to the main road it went 40 no problem
Is it not shifting and hitting the Rev limiter?

Honda says not to drive it until at least 1 bar is on the gauge. Even after that, on a cold day (by AZ standards), mine will hold gears a bit longer until the oil gets nice and hot.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
It shifts but really hard I will just let it warm up longer. Once it’s warm it runs fine

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!