P500 Difference between the 2015s and 2018s?

P

PNWGuy

Looking to buy a Pioneer 500 and will buy new. Local dealers are all asking the same price for new; $8999 plus $600 "destination fee".

I searched on ATV Trader and a dealership about 300 miles away has 2018s and 2017s for $7995 and one 2015 in Phantom Camo for $7144 plus all have $600 destination fee.

First, I know the 2015s have a manual paddle shifter, which is fine, and I think the 2018s came with the new transmission that is either auto or manual.

Any reason to pay the extra money for the 2018?

I haven't bought a new ATV in nearly 20 years, so I have no idea if the dealers do the typical bait and switch thing that they do with cars.

I don't want to drive 325 miles to find out I got lied to about the vehicle or the price...

Reactions: Caper
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The transmission isn't "new"...it's the exact same type, just with an auto mode built into the electronics. I believe there were some minor gearing changes as well. Someone will elaborate on that...
The new ones have a seat belt inhibitor for 15mph unbuckled. The torso bar has been changed, and the shocks we're changed one year (which escapes me at the moment).

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: JWB and Caper
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The transmission isn't "new"...it's the exact same type, just with an auto mode built into the electronics. I believe there were some minor gearing changes as well. Someone will elaborate on that...
The new ones have a seat belt inhibitor for 15mph unbuckled. The torso bar has been changed, and the shocks we're changed one year (which escapes me at the moment).

Welcome to the forum.
^^^^ Sums it up.
Auto is the biggest factor. Rest is minor.
There were gear ratio changes but I was told they were minor and equaled back out.

Get the auto!

Reactions: 100Acre and Caper
P

PNWGuy

Thanks for the info!

Any input on typical ATV dealer shenanigans these days? I want to be able to get a firm price from a dealer and go to my credit union and get the exact amount in a check and be in and out as fast as possible.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I drove 5 hours to get mine and saved 2 grand or better.

We some guys out your way, Big ride this weekend so they traveling home.
Give them a day or so and see if they know any dealers that will work with you.

What town you near?

@CumminsPusher @Eltobgi @tmjm76691

P

PNWGuy

Near Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID.

Would love to be able to go on some rides. Wanted to do a jeep poker run but I never trusted my Jeep enough to make it. Nor my Polaris Sportsman. That's why I want a Honda. The last thing I want to worry about 30 miles in the mountains from the nearest town and in wolf and bear country is my vehicle dying and leaving me stranded.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I drove 5 hours to get mine and saved 2 grand or better.

We some guys out your way, Big ride this weekend so they traveling home.
Give them a day or so and see if they know any dealers that will work with you.

What town you near?

@CumminsPusher @Eltobgi @tmjm76691
Purchased mine in Minot North Dakota at Pure Honda, paid sticker price but talked them into throwing in a wind deflector, lol. They saw me coming a mile away, and it was hard to hide my excitement, so I’m lucky they didn’t add a thousand to the price.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome @PNWGuy . Own 2017. Some good model change info on link to older post. Auto vs manual discussions seem to be the biggest comparisions, like auto downshifting with 2017+. P500 - Pioneer 500: 2016 vs 2017.

As mentioned in that thread, the automatic mode shifts clunky when new on a test drive and not a good first impression IMO, but a simple clutch adjustment by turning a bolt helped greatly (good instructions on this forum). Good luck. Whichever you get, good help here from some very knowledgeable members.

Last edited:
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Near Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID.

Would love to be able to go on some rides. Wanted to do a jeep poker run but I never trusted my Jeep enough to make it. Nor my Polaris Sportsman. That's why I want a Honda. The last thing I want to worry about 30 miles in the mountains from the nearest town and in wolf and bear country is my vehicle dying and leaving me stranded.
Cda Honda is pretty good from what I’ve seen. My Pioneer now was bought out by you they actually had the best price.
The NW seems pricy compared to the rest of the nation but as mentioned look around. Keep in mind a dealer you buy from will usually do better for you for accessories or services down the road

Reactions: Caper and PNWGuy
P

PNWGuy

Cda Honda is pretty good from what I’ve seen. My Pioneer now was bought out by you they actually had the best price.
The NW seems pricy compared to the rest of the nation but as mentioned look around. Keep in mind a dealer you buy from will usually do better for you for accessories or services down the road

I'm used to having to search the Seattle area for good deals on vehicles, so no surprise that I'll probably have to drive over there for the Pioneer. If I can get a local dealer to get within a couple of hundred on the price, I'd buy local.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm used to having to search the Seattle area for good deals on vehicles, so no surprise that I'll probably have to drive over there for the Pioneer. If I can get a local dealer to get within a couple of hundred on the price, I'd buy local.
Have you considered used? The 500 is a great machine I wouldn’t be too concerned
The local dealer here I’m sure could get setup and des fee knocked off but I doubt they’d come down in price. I could call tomorrow when they open to see

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
The new will also have dual rate preload adjustable shocks on all corners to me they are not bad at reasonable speeds. Mine shifted very smooth after first oil change with no clutch adjustments.

Reactions: Arizona
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I like the idea of the newer auto shift capability.
My wife has a habit of lugging the manual shift pretty bad.
When she wants to accelerate she will down shift but out on the trail she can run a long time in too low a gear.
This is hard on the rings and rod bearings. (and my nerves)

With the newer auto shift the computer will down shift even when in manual mode.
Somthing to do with the system always being capable to throw the switch in to auto mode and not messing up the shift logic.
So with a newer p500 the wife can ignore the trans all she wants, it will auto down shift with out me saying a word.
And I don't have to sleep in the truck.

Last edited:
P

PNWGuy

The 2015 was listed at $7144 and the dealer just quoted me my "special" veterans price of $8200. They tacked on a destination charge of $798 and a $400 dealer prep fee. Ridiculous.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The 2015 was listed at $7144 and the dealer just quoted me my "special" veterans price of $8200. They tacked on a destination charge of $798 and a $400 dealer prep fee. Ridiculous.
I have a ‘15 I bought in ‘14. Love it love the paddle shifters, my daughter had no problem learning the shifting. The new ones are lower than the ‘15’s they changed the shocks because people were rolling them , probably 2 idiots, so they lowered the shocks and had a recall on mine. I said no thanks. If you are interested in the ‘15 ask if it has the original shocks or if they have been changed to the lower ones. Higher is better. I’m talking bike night. Haha
Caper

P

PNWGuy

Actually went to the closest dealer which was 50 miles away and test drove a Pioneer 500. Very educational.

I was able to compare it to every other 50" machine on the market and realized there are some very stark differences.

I am 6'2" and the Honda was a very tight fit. I got in and didn't think I was going to be able to drive it for more than a half hour at a time due to the lack of leg room. My knees start hurting if they are in a bent position for much more than half an hour. The position of the gas pedal and brake pedal was awkward. Seat was fine, head room was fine. I liked the overall length and handling. Power was fine. The rear rack was bigger than I expected.

Test drive went well and I didn't really notice the awkward pedal position or cramped leg room as much as I thought I would.

Then I looked at the CF Moto. Got in and my right knee rested against the dashboard. No way that would work. Plus, the materials were obviously Chinese and cheap. Wrote it off immediately.

Then I got into a Can Am Maverick Trail 800. Felt like I was getting into a race car. Super comfy with all the controls in easy reach and good quality. Decent leg room. I then noticed it had what the Honda was missing; storage space. It had two glove boxes with plenty of room for a phone, keys, first aid kit, and my pistol. The Honda had zero storage. The Honda rear rack was much bigger and more versatile, but the Maverick's was still big enough for my dog to ride in; barely.

Definitely noticed the Maverick's increased wheelbase. It is two feet longer than the Pioneer! That will make a substantial difference in negotiating smaller trails.

Maverick is definitely way sexier than the Honda...

5b32605bfd7b6409883ebea1.jpg

Went to another dealer that had the Polaris Razr 570 and the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail 800.

First up was the Wildcat. Got in and both knees hit the dash. Immediately dismissed it.

Then I reluctantly looked at the Polaris Razr 570.

Perfect! Great leg room, great controls, rear rack had plenty of room for my dog, overall size was great. Polaris is running a promotion with $1000 off the price.

But, Polaris is junk, IMHO. It seems buying one is a crap shoot and I've seen and heard plenty of horror stories about them. Too bad, because it was the perfect machine for me.

So now I'm torn between the Honda and the Can Am.

The local dealer sells them for $9500 with no destination or set up fee and he includes $750 worth of options that you get to choose. I chose a roof, 3500lb winch, street legal mirror and horn kit. He suggested upgrading to 26" tires ASAP. Total price out the door including tax and title, full tank, all accessories installed and ready to go was $10,200. Monthly payment through my credit union would be $190.

The Maverick is $12900 before tax and title and includes no destination charge or prep fees, but also no accessories. I would have to fabricate or buy a top. Street legal kit is another $120 for mirrors and horn installed.

Pretty substantial price increase. Payment would be around $250 a month.

The Honda is a more task-friendly machine and is perfect for chores and low speed trail exploring for a couple of hours. It is more reliable. It is perfect for short-range trips into the woods to explore an area or retrieve game. Especially since it has a ridiculously small fuel capacity of 4 gallons. The Mavericks holds 10 and the Razyr 7.

The Maverick is best suited for day long trips and exploring gated off logging roads.

I really need to figure out what exactly my needs are and if I can live with the cramped and utilitarian Honda after getting a taste of the luxurious Can Am.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good write up @PNWGuy , @100Acre is tall also and takes a lot of trips, maybe he can chime in.

Reactions: Miss_Oak and Caper
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!