P500 Pioneer 500: 2016 vs 2017

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi, my researching for a new Pioneer 500 has brought me here. (So....Hi everyone!) I'm not totally new to ATV's, I've owned Honda 110, 200 big red, 250 big red, 300 4x2, 300 4x4, rancher, and foreman 500. I am however, totally new to the side by side market.

I wanted to give Honda a few years, to get their foot in the door and on steady ground. I considered the Pioneer 700, but have made my mind on the Pioneer 500, as I prefer the more compact, and 50" stance. This SxS will be used for hunting, chores, and some trail riding.

Anyhow, I've been reading up on the Honda Pioneer 500, and I am asking for the differences between the 2016, and the 2017 models. I know the transmission on the 2017 has AT/MT, but other than that, what are the differences?

Reading online specifications I've seen, does the 2016 have about 1" more ground clearance, or is that a typo? I see the 2016 showing 9.6", while the 2017 showing 8.5"?

Also, I've read people saying the gear ratio's are different. If so, which one is geared for more low end power?, I am wanting to go with taller tires, so this might be a deciding factor.

I've also read about a suspension upgrade on the 2017, is it drastically different?

Lastly, any word on when the 2018 model changes, would be announced? The only reason I would wait is if there is any chance Honda would put a factory bed on the 2018 model.

Anyhow, just hoping to get a little feedback, as I am definitely buying one this year. I know I'm asking a lot of questions on my first post, but I figured I could get the best feedback here.

I look forward to posting and contributing in the future,

Thanks lonewolf!

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Hi, my researching for a new Pioneer 500 has brought me here. (So....Hi everyone!) I'm not totally new to ATV's, I've owned Honda 110, 200 big red, 250 big red, 300 4x2, 300 4x4, rancher, and foreman 500. I am however, totally new to the side by side market.

I wanted to give Honda a few years, to get their foot in the door and on steady ground. I considered the Pioneer 700, but have made my mind on the Pioneer 500, as I prefer the more compact, and 50" stance. This SxS will be used for hunting, chores, and some trail riding.

Anyhow, I've been reading up on the Honda Pioneer 500, and I am asking for the differences between the 2016, and the 2017 models. I know the transmission on the 2017 has AT/MT, but other than that, what are the differences?

Reading online specifications I've seen, does the 2016 have about 1" more ground clearance, or is that a typo? I see the 2016 showing 9.6", while the 2017 showing 8.5"?

Also, I've read people saying the gear ratio's are different. If so, which one is geared for more low end power?, I am wanting to go with taller tires, so this might be a deciding factor.

I've also read about a suspension upgrade on the 2017, is it drastically different?

Lastly, any word on when the 2018 model changes, would be announced? The only reason I would wait is if there is any chance Honda would put a factory bed on the 2018 model.

Anyhow, just hoping to get a little feedback, as I am definitely buying one this year. I know I'm asking a lot of questions on my first post, but I figured I could get the best feedback here.

I look forward to posting and contributing in the future,

Thanks lonewolf!

Besides the automatic mode you are aware of, here are the other changes: Torso bars are taller and shaped differently, driver's seat belt has to be buckled or speed is limited to 14mph, dual rate springs and adjustable pre-load shocks ('16 had adjustable pre-load on rear only), newly designed exhaust system with more shielding, steel center skid plate, and higher gearing (secondary gear reduction changed).

I measured ground clearance on both and came up with about a 1/2" difference.

The '16 is geared noticeably lower, so it will have more low end grunt/pulling power. With stock size tires, I much prefer the gearing of the '17 as it's just more user friendly I think. I haven't driven a '17 with oversize tires, but guessing if you want to run 26" or 27", you would be better off with a '16.

The new shocks and dual/progressive rate springs do ride somewhat better, but you do lose the above mentioned 1/2" of ground clearance.

Nobody knows yet what's in store for the '18's, and that probably won't be announced until this summer.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
^Ok, many thanks, that covers the majority of what I'm asking. I still having a hard time trying to decide if I want the 2017 on count of the transmission. I test drove both recently, and I honestly really preferred the paddle shifting over the AT mode. I could see myself using the AT mode when riding long, open stretch runs, but would definitely use the MT most of the time on short trails, mud, and more challenging obstacles.

On the gearing, I'm sure both would run 26-27" tires ok, and that's what I'm wanting to do. I'm probably leaning slightly towards the 2017, but if I can find a good deal on a 2016, worth my while, I wouldn't be afraid to go that route!

Anyhow, going to shop around, and maybe go take another test drive. I'm getting the urge to get one soon!

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
^Ok, many thanks, that covers the majority of what I'm asking. I still having a hard time trying to decide if I want the 2017 on count of the transmission. I test drove both recently, and I honestly really preferred the paddle shifting over the AT mode. I could see myself using the AT mode when riding long, open stretch runs, but would definitely use the MT most of the time on short trails, mud, and more challenging obstacles.

On the gearing, I'm sure both would run 26-27" tires ok, and that's what I'm wanting to do. I'm probably leaning slightly towards the 2017, but if I can find a good deal on a 2016, worth my while, I wouldn't be afraid to go that route!

Anyhow, going to shop around, and maybe go take another test drive. I'm getting the urge to get one soon!

When you test drive the 2017 AT it feels very clunky and might put you off. Once you put a hundred miles on it or so, the AT smooths out and is pretty good. It's nice to have the choice of manual or auto. I know momma won't shift anything... so all my stuff has to be auto. I put 26" mudlites on my 2017 and it doesn't want for low end power.
My $0.02
Al

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
When looking for that deal on a 2016, be sure to get "Out the Door" prices - My 2017 OTD ended up being several hundred dollars less than a different dealer that advertised a 2016 base price about $1K less than the base for the 2017.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
On my other post on the 17, what I like best is the auto downshift when slowing down, even when in manual mode. Really only have to upshift. Still geared very low, always start off in 2nd gear. Often cruise trails in 3rd around 10 mph. Using MT more than AT. New side bars out of the way getting in and out. Adjusted the clutch and now shifts smoother in AT.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys, many great points!

The transmission shifting on the AT model did not seem that smooth, and I wondered if it would get smoother, in time after break in. Sounds like maybe that's the case. Great point on out the door prices as well. I found an advertised price on a new 2016 of $6600 in my area, but after asking about hidden cost, it went up $1200 more dollars before the taxes.

The auto-downshifting sounds like a great feature in the MT mode, I think I would really like that, having to basically upshift only in the manual mode.

As far as tires, I think I want to possibly get the Interco Interforce in 27", but debating on whether I would be better off going with 27x7.5" on the front, and 27x10" on the back, or the 27x10" all the way around? I left off the wheel size, because if I keep stock wheels it will be 12" or if I buy new ones, I might go with 14". Also, will the 10" wide tires fit without rubbing?

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
On my other post on the 17, what I like best is the auto downshift when slowing down, even when in manual mode. Really only have to upshift. Still geared very low, always start off in 2nd gear. Often cruise trails in 3rd around 10 mph. Using MT more than AT. New side bars out of the way getting in and out. Adjusted the clutch and now shifts smoother in AT.

That's interesting. The one thing I really didn't like is auto downshift in manual on the 17s. I like to "lug" the engine occasionally on flat ground to keep engine noise down while cruising. Don't understand why they force it to automatically downshift in "manual." Manual should mean no automatic shifting to me, keep it simple.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've noticed a few people have bought the 2017 P500's lately, and was looking for feedback on the AT mode of the 2017, vs the MT only mode, of the 2016. Is it definitely worth buying the 2017, for this upgrade? I'm guessing maybe this is a personal preference thing, but I'm still having a hard time deciding. I'm seeing some good deals on the 2016 models, and like the idea of an extra inch of ground clearance, lower gear ratio, no seat belt speed limiter, but don't want to regret, not getting the 2017, on count of the AT, and the suspension upgrade. Feedback anyone?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I've chimed in earlier, but here are afew more comments. I have a 2017 P5 and have never driven a '16.
Auto vs manual? I am not averse to driving a manual, but my P5 remains in auto 90% of the time. When I need to shift up or down, I do. If I'm doing a long hill climb, or loading it into the truck it stays in manual. The rest of the time I have it in auto and can concentrate on other things. Momma will not shift, so she always has it in auto.

Ground clearance: I'm on 26" x 9 (front) 11 (rear) ITP Mudlites on the stock rims. With 7 psi and the shocks set on notch '3' from lowest, I have a full 10" of clearance front and back (no optional skid plates). I measured how tall these 26" tires stand: 25.5" front and back. Like I mentioned before, I don't lack first gear grunt going up the steepest grades I can stomach. Most other steep grades I'll go up in 2nd gear.

Since my previous comment, I adjusted the clutch on the Dirt Pig. That dramatically improved the auto shifting. I've read other threads where guys have said the auto shifting improves after a break-in period, a first oil change or an oil viscosity change. I found that had to believe; but my shifting improved! Test driving a '17 in a dealer's parking lot does not give you an accurate feel for how good the auto is.

These things are great so whatever model year you get, you'll be happy.
PS: don't ride without your seat belts on.
Al

Reactions: JTW and Mudder
advertisement
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's interesting. The one thing I really didn't like is auto downshift in manual on the 17s. I like to "lug" the engine occasionally on flat ground to keep engine noise down while cruising. Don't understand why they force it to automatically downshift in "manual." Manual should mean no automatic shifting to me, keep it simple.

This auto downshift in MT mode has me a little concerned at this point too. Wondering if it will be an advantage or disadvantage for me, at this point? I'm used to manual shift Honda Foremans, where I tend run in a higher gear, keeping to rpms down, especially during deer season, to keep noise down, and reduce vibration. That's the thing I hate most about CVT SxS's, is I hate when to engine, always seems to run at high rpms, and there is a lot of vibration. That's one of the things, that really appealed to me about the Honda P500, and having full control over the transmission shifting, and the engine rpms. Now has me concerned that the AT mode, and the downshifting of the MT mode, will not be to my liking.

I've chimed in earlier, but here are afew more comments. I have a 2017 P5 and have never driven a '16.
Auto vs manual? I am not averse to driving a manual, but my P5 remains in auto 90% of the time. When I need to shift up or down, I do. If I'm doing a long hill climb, or loading it into the truck it stays in manual. The rest of the time I have it in auto and can concentrate on other things. Momma will not shift, so she always has it in auto.

Ground clearance: I'm on 26" x 9 (front) 11 (rear) ITP Mudlites on the stock rims. With 7 psi and the shocks set on notch '3' from lowest, I have a full 10" of clearance front and back (no optional skid plates). I measured how tall these 26" tires stand: 25.5" front and back. Like I mentioned before, I don't lack first gear grunt going up the steepest grades I can stomach. Most other steep grades I'll go up in 2nd gear.

Since my previous comment, I adjusted the clutch on the Dirt Pig. That dramatically improved the auto shifting. I've read other threads where guys have said the auto shifting improves after a break-in period, a first oil change or an oil viscosity change. I found that had to believe; but my shifting improved! Test driving a '17 in a dealer's parking lot does not give you an accurate feel for how good the auto is.

These things are great so whatever model year you get, you'll be happy.
PS: don't ride without your seat belts on.
Al

Lots of good info in your post! Sounds like I'd like the AT on one hand, and the gear ratio seems like it would be fine, for the tires I want to run. The ground clearance should be ok as well. Yea, I'm not necessarily trying to bypass a safety feature with the seatbelt, as I'd never even consider not wearing one anytime I get in my truck. I guess it's just riding ATV's for over 35 years, with no seat belt, and now being forced to wear one, or else. It's just a habit thing, and it would become second nature once I got used to it.

I think I'm more unsure now on which way to go, than I was before, lol, on count of concern, for the auto transmission mode running the rpms higher than I want. I might need to just flip a coin, and go with it. Ha

Thanks for the feedback, gonna process it a bit now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlR
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I would buy the 17 again, in MT mode it will run 8 mph in 3rd in flat woods. I normally run close to idle as a slow poke in woods, but it still has the fun factor when you want to fly all out thru the paddle shifts. But a good deal like Blueberry had would be worth considering a used one. Whatever you get you should be pleased if the 500 fits your needs. Maybe the 17 could have a better resale appeal down the road if you upgrade. JMO.

G

Greyrider

Feb 13, 2017
Hannibal
Ownership

1. 500
While we are talking about 500 here is there any motor mods that work great to get more out of these

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hate to repeat a question that's already been answered, but it's really important in making my decision, between the two year models. If I'm understanding this right, the 2017 model, while in MT mode will downshift to lower gears automatically right? So, if I were traveling along in 4th or 5th gear, and suddenly come to a stop, or slow down rapidly, it will downshift to maybe 1st or second gear?

I just ask again, because I'm calling around a little today looking at "out the door" prices, and a couple of salesman have told me, that manual mode, is just that, "manual mode" and it will remain in the current gear until you downshift it. I tend to trust what the people that own them are saying, more than the salesman, but I am just trying to make sure, I understand, and I'm not the one getting confused.

Many thanks, lonewolf~

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I hate to repeat a question that's already been answered, but it's really important in making my decision, between the two year models. If I'm understanding this right, the 2017 model, while in MT mode will downshift to lower gears automatically right? So, if I were traveling along in 4th or 5th gear, and suddenly come to a stop, or slow down rapidly, it will downshift to maybe 1st or second gear?

I just ask again, because I'm calling around a little today looking at "out the door" prices, and a couple of salesman have told me, that manual mode, is just that, "manual mode" and it will remain in the current gear until you downshift it. I tend to trust what the people that own them are saying, more than the salesman, but I am just trying to make sure, I understand, and I'm not the one getting confused.

Many thanks, lonewolf~

I'm interested in knowing that myself. I'll go outside right now and try. I'll report back in afew minutes.
Al

swinn

swinn

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-4
In MT mode, it will automatically downshift. I think mine goes to 2nd gear when I come to a stop if I remember right.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I'm interested in knowing that myself. I'll go outside right now and try. I'll report back in afew minutes.
Al

OK. I had my 2017 P500 in MT.
- Got it up into 5th gear, then started slowing down.
- I was going slightly uphill, so the engine had to work alittle.
- As I slowed to about 12.5 mph (20 kmh) it shifted by itself into 4th gear.
- at about 7.5 mph (12 kmh) it shifted by itself into 3rd gear.
- at about 3.7 mph (6 kmh) it shifted by itself into 2nd gear.
[recall, I was in MT and not touching the paddles].

I videoed the shifting

I didn't try lugging it below 3 mph to see if it would shift into 1st gear... in MT. For fun I left it in 2nd MT to see if I revved it WAY UP, if it would shift up. It did not.

It does the same down-shifting trick going downhill. IE: if you slow it down, to those threshold speeds, the MT will shift down itself. It felt good. The machine still coasted down the hill well, but the engine was there to assist in braking if needed. Having done the above exercise, I REALLY LIKE the fact that the MT shifts down rather than totally lugging the engine.

Another thing I noticed about the MT, it won't allow you to shift into 5th gear, if you're going less than 20 kmh (see above). Again, I REALLY LIKED the way it performed in MT. It did exactly what I would have wanted it to do. It's still very much a MT, but I believe the machine simply won't let you lug the engine till it stalls.

Having said all this, I've never driven a 2016 P5 MT, so can't comment on how a pure MT works. I own a 2017 and having done the above, I'm glad I got one.
PS: Love this machine.
Al

Last edited:
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In MT mode, it will automatically downshift. I think mine goes to 2nd gear when I come to a stop if I remember right.

Ok many thanks swinn. That's kind of what I thought I was understanding. I talked to a third dealership, and he seemed to have a better understanding.

I videoed the shifting

I didn't try lugging it below 3 mph to see if it would shift into 1st gear... in MT. For fun I left it in 2nd MT to see if I revved it WAY UP, if it would shift up. It did not.

It does the same down-shifting trick going downhill. IE: if you slow it down, to those threshold speeds, the MT will shift down itself. It felt good. The machine still coasted down the hill well, but the engine was there to assist in braking if needed. Having done the above exercise, I REALLY LIKE the fact that the MT shifts down rather than totally lugging the engine.

Another thing I noticed about the MT, it won't allow you to shift into 5th gear, if you're going less than 20 kmh (see above). Again, I REALLY LIKED the way it performed in MT. It did exactly what I would have wanted it to do. It's still very much a MT, but I believe the machine simply won't let you lug the engine till it stalls.

Having said all this, I've never driven a 2016 P5 MT, so can't comment on how a pure MT works. I own a 2017 and having done the above, I'm glad I got one.
Al

I videoed the shifting

Al

Wow, that quite a bit of feedback, and the video really illustrates how it works, wow! I really appreciate this!

I was a little worried at first, that it might tend to downshift prematurely and run higher rpms, like many belt driven SxS's do, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It seems really smooth.

In my search of inventory out there, the 2016's in my area are getting somewhat scarce. From what I'm seeing now with the 2017, and the 2 transmission modes, I think I may go that route, unless I find a deal I can't turn down on a 2016.

Thanks for this feedback Al, it really helps!!

Reactions: AlR and Arizona
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

I videoed the shifting

Al
On my '15 I like the fact I can putt along quietly in 5th gear doing 12, 13 mph on a straight grade, and it's not really lugging.

Reactions: AlR
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
On my '15 I like the fact I can putt along quietly in 5th gear doing 12, 13 mph on a straight grade, and it's not really lugging.
For sure. I'd putt along in 4th. I wonder if tire size makes any difference to the shifting. OEM were 24s I believe. I have 26s on now.
Al

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!