P500 Honda pioneer 500 no fuel

C

Colbyd1209

Oct 8, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Hey y’all I have a 2017 Honda pioneer 500
I was riding it a couple weeks ago it was running good then when I parked it for about 1 hour I went back outside and it wouldn’t fire up.I pulled the spark plug it was getting spark but no gas so then I cleaned the injectors that didn’t work.The fuses and relays are good I can here the relays kicking on but not the pump.So then I ordered a new pump put it in and still nothing.I’m getting about 11volts to the brown wire.So then I hooked up a battery charger straight to the pump and it kicked on so I think it is a sensor or I could not getting enough volts from the battery to the pump.I’m just kind of stuck now I’m going to try a different battery tomorrow if that doesn’t work any suggestions.Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Bmurray
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey y’all I have a 2017 Honda pioneer 500
I was riding it a couple weeks ago it was running good then when I parked it for about 1 hour I went back outside and it wouldn’t fire up.I pulled the spark plug it was getting spark but no gas so then I cleaned the injectors that didn’t work.The fuses and relays are good I can here the relays kicking on but not the pump.So then I ordered a new pump put it in and still nothing.I’m getting about 11volts to the brown wire.So then I hooked up a battery charger straight to the pump and it kicked on so I think it is a sensor or I could not getting enough volts from the battery to the pump.I’m just kind of stuck now I’m going to try a different battery tomorrow if that doesn’t work any suggestions.Thank you for reading.
Battery seems likely to me. At 4-5 years old it definitely could be the case. Some don’t last two years if they sit a lot without some type of charger to keep them topped off.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yep! Sounds like a battery. 11volts wont quite be enough. I bet the separate battery you used was throwing over 12vdc.

BTW, welcome and its your first post. Put a new battery in and….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
of your machine.

C

Colbyd1209

Oct 8, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the comments
I tried to jump it off, the fuel pump still isn’t kicking on not sure now what to do.The battery is brand new only two months old.I’m starting to think it could be a sensor or something.What do y’all think I should do next!

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
There is another thread today about a recent recall on fuel pumps. You might want to check to see if yours in covered in that recall.

Edit....Looked at that thread and its 2019-2020 units.

C

Colbyd1209

Oct 8, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
There is another thread today about a recent recall on fuel pumps. You might want to check to see if yours in covered in that recall.

Edit....Looked at that thread and its 2019-2020 units.
Thanks but my fuel pump is good it’s brand new and I verified by hot wiring it straight the pump the problem is I’m just not getting power to the pump

Reactions: wvupsc
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the comments
I tried to jump it off, the fuel pump still isn’t kicking on not sure now what to do.The battery is brand new only two months old.I’m starting to think it could be a sensor or something.What do y’all think I should do next!
I don’t think the P5 has a tilt sensor like the bigger Pioneers. Anyone know for sure? I could see a tilt sensor shutting down the fuel pump.

@HondaTech might know or might have ideas if he gets time to read this.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Follow me here.
The brown wire at the fule pump. It runs to the fuel pump relay.
The fuel pump relay gets its power from the red wries going into that relay (There is 2 red wires, they connect so really they are the same wire)
The red wire gets its power from the 10A PUMP fuse.
The pump fuse gets its power from the main 40A fuse.

I recommend switching the relays around.
According to the parts fish. all 4 are the same.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let's find the fuel pump relay.
It will have these wries.
2 red/gray stripe.
1 gray/red stripe
1 brown.

Let's find the headlight relay
It will have the following colors.
2 Brown wires.
1 Green wire
1 white/black stripe

Switch these 2 relays.

Report back.

H

HondaTech

I don’t think the P5 has a tilt sensor like the bigger Pioneers. Anyone know for sure? I could see a tilt sensor shutting down the fuel pump.

@HondaTech might know or might have ideas if he gets time to read this.

None of Hondas UTVs have any tilt sensor in them that im aware of. Atleast its not an electrical one.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
None of Hondas UTVs have any tilt sensor in them that im aware of. Atleast its not an electrical one.
I thought I read posts here of P1K’s having them. I’ve been wrong before though.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OP any update? Did the relay swap produce any results?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!