P1000 Half Windshield Dust Issues

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Honda split windshield. Think about trying to bend a piece of plexi and make some type of spoiler to attach to the bottom edge of top half of windshield to make it blow the wind on you not at the roof. Thinking this may help with dust. Going to use a couple of clamps to try it before making it permenate.

Interested to see this

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
Someone really needs to put one of these suckers in a wind tunnel with a smoke trail like you see when they study the aerodynamics on new car designs so we can get to the bottom of this dust issue. If we could identify the wind pattern it creates, I'm sure it would only take some minor tweaks to counteract it.... I'm about ready to put a big Honda ricer wing on it.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried lowering my rear soft panel on mine this weekend as the wife and kiddos said they didn't want to ride if it was as dusty as last time. I have a 2 piece Honda windshield with the top taken off right now. I lowered the back of the full soft top (see Jory's pic above) and we got almost no dust. My wife couldn't believe it (I couldn't either, but I wanted to act like I knew this would happen) I will be riding with my rear panel down from now on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
I tried lowering my rear soft panel on mine this weekend as the wife and kiddos said they didn't want to ride if it was as dusty as last time. I have a 2 piece Honda windshield with the top taken off right now. I lowered the back of the full soft top (see Jory's pic above) and we got almost no dust. My wife couldn't believe it (I couldn't either, but I wanted to act like I knew this would happen) I will be riding with my rear panel down from now on...

The way that's worded, it could be taken a couple of ways....

Did you have the lower 1/2 of the factory windshield (with the top half taken off)..... or did you mean you have a 2 piece winshield with the top taken off right now (as in the roof you had has been taken off right now? If you meant you just took the top 1/2 of the 2 piece windshield off and you still have a roof is it hard or soft? And you say you lowered the back of the full soft top ( you mean you took the rear panel off or layed it down in the bed or something like it wasn't there)? Sorry, I don't have a rear panel so I don't know how it works.

I have a 2 piece windshield and factory hard roof. We are going riding again in a couple of weeks and im going to take the top 1/2 of the windshield off and see how it is... but I don't have the rear panel.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Did you have the lower 1/2 of the factory windshield (with the top half taken off)..... or did you mean you have a 2 piece winshield with the top taken off right now (as in the roof you had has been taken off right now? If you meant you just took the top 1/2 of the 2 piece windshield off and you still have a roof is it hard or soft? And you say you lowered the back of the full soft top ( you mean you took the rear panel off or layed it down in the bed or something like it wasn't there)? Sorry, I don't have a rear panel so I don't know how it works.

I have a 2 piece windshield and factory hard roof. We are going riding again in a couple of weeks and im going to take the top 1/2 of the windshield off and see how it is... but I don't have the rear panel.

I'll clarify. I have the two piece Honda windshield, the plastic Honda roof, and the entire soft can enclosure. I have remove the upper doors and the top of the two piece windshield. Does this help?

ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015

I have the half windshield and no top and no rear panel.. The dust is terrible. The windshield will just have to come off before our next ride. It'll probably stay off until next fall/winter.

Reactions: Terminator
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Long story short a half windshield is just about as effective as a half condom, neither gets the job done that the complete version of each is designed to do. Full windshield - use a rear panel to mitigate the dust preferably one (windshield & rear panel) that can be opened for ventilation when dust isn't a concern.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5

When you say rear panel, do you mean at the very back, or the mid panel? Wonder if it makes a difference.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
When you say rear panel, do you mean at the very back, or the mid panel? Wonder if it makes a difference.
I am referring to the mid panel it makes a huge difference I have the hard mid panel with the sliding glass window and it cuts out almost ALL dust and a lot of the engine heat because it extends so low and seals everything off.

Pioneer-Honda Powersports

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the very back. I do not have a mid panel.

Reactions: amc019
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long story short a half windshield is just about as effective as a half condom, neither gets the job done that the complete version of each is designed to do. Full windshield - use a rear panel to mitigate the dust preferably one (windshield & rear panel) that can be opened for ventilation when dust isn't a concern.
i also have full glass windshield and use it in bad weather conditions when i know it is going to rain or snow. at this point there wont be any dust. but i will switch out to the half windshield for the summer months.

Reactions: dotman1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
i also have full glass windshield and use it in bad weather conditions when i know it is going to rain or snow. at this point there wont be any dust. but i will switch out to the half windshield for the summer months.
I like the full glass gone too. Went to the mini. It's nice to get the thing opened up finally to feel more a part of the environment. Felt like I was in a jeep for far too long. Now you can hear the birds chirping:)

Reactions: DTAGG
JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
I'll clarify. I have the two piece Honda windshield, the plastic Honda roof, and the entire soft can enclosure. I have remove the upper doors and the top of the two piece windshield. Does this help?
Ahh, ok... I got ya now.

S

SeanKirk77

Oct 21, 2015
For you guys with the soft rear panel...
Does it work with dust control if you have the tailgate down?
I ordered the rear panel but we strap a cooler on top of the tailgate and now I'm wondering if that's going to be an option

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For you guys with the soft rear panel...
Does it work with dust control if you have the tailgate down?
I ordered the rear panel but we strap a cooler on top of the tailgate and now I'm wondering if that's going to be an option
Good question SK. I imagine it would still help as there would only be a 5in gap between seats and window. The rear panel is designed to snap to the gate however I think it would be secure enough on the sides. I've never tried that combo, you got me. Remember to roll the panels up while trailering. Anyone else?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You brought up a good point. I went out to check it out and I do believe it would still work. The above picture is part of the factory securing setup that comes with the window. I'm not sure availability through Honda as things are a pain right now but I suppose to make it better for your application you could try to purchase an additional set or perhaps use something close on the seat back or maybe easier yet use a bungee cord through the straps at the bottom of the window across to the factory tie downs. Either way I still think you're good

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!