P1000 I think my rear diff is bad

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the dealer called and they are pulling the rear diff as they think the ring gear is missing some toofs. I will be going to the original dealer and asking for compensation since this thing hasn't left my drive way!

Reactions: Jerryg and CID
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do hope the selling dealer makes it right for you but I believe Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) applies if you try taking it to court unfortunately.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And to be clear…I believe your dissatisfaction with the selling dealer and the transaction is well founded. I just don’t have much faith you will get what you want from them.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And to be clear…I believe your dissatisfaction with the selling dealer and the transaction is well founded. I just don’t have much faith you will get what you want from them.
I agree the only ammo I have is an email from the selling dealer twice stating "no mechanical issues" so maybe it's enough...? I also have the fact that they didn't change the air filter and forgot to fill coolant before they let it roll. All I can do is try right?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some people have no problem lying out their ass and sleep well while doing it.
Hope you get atleast some satisfaction out of this.

Reactions: Backwoods
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well dealer call and they pulled the rear diff and popped it open and everything was fine inside. They are thinking maybe the rear locker isn't unlocking like it should? Not sure where to go now so I guess I'll just have to see what they find

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well dealer call and they pulled the rear diff and popped it open and everything was fine inside. They are thinking maybe the rear locker isn't unlocking like it should? Not sure where to go now so I guess I'll just have to see what they find
That turf mode will get you every time.

• Haha
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That turf mode will get you every time.
I mean I want to be able to use both. And it does the wierd thing in turf at low speed where it will go and then free wheel kinda and then catch again. That just doesn't seem right...?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I mean I want to be able to use both. And it does the wierd thing in turf at low speed where it will go and then free wheel kinda and then catch again. That just doesn't seem right...?
Is it possible you have a sticky cable?

advertisement
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Maybe? I mean I can see the lever on the diff move when the lever in the cab moves. Do the symptoms I described seem like a sticky locker?
I am no expert on the subject but I can imagine if the the cable was out of adjustment for too long, something wore out.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did the dealer put the all balls axles in just before selling the machine to you? If so my guess is they are the problem. Either misinstalled or the wrong axles. I cant see the locker being the culprit Unless they also had it apart and botched the reassembly .

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am no expert on the subject but I can imagine if the the cable was out of adjustment for too long, something wore out.
Fair enough I'm just searching for answers and ideas. Maybe I don't know how to drive the machine properly? Idk just very frustrating since it moves like a bucking horse at slow speed in turf mode
Did the dealer put the all balls axles in just before selling the machine to you? If so my guess is they are the problem. Either misinstalled or the wrong axles. I cant see the locker being the culprit Unless they also had it apart and botched the reassembly .
I believe they did put them in just before. Excuse my ignorance but how could the axels cause the problem?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fair enough I'm just searching for answers and ideas. Maybe I don't know how to drive the machine properly? Idk just very frustrating since it moves like a bucking horse at slow speed in turf mode

I believe they did put them in just before. Excuse my ignorance but how could the axels cause the problem?
Maybe if the short axle or wrong axle on the wrong side causes the drive ball race to slightly come out of the drive cup, just a guess. I dont know if the locker face cams/followers can be installed wrong but with that dealer anything seems possible.
Other than a damaged ring and pinion these would be the only other components that could possibly cause your symptoms.
Now, however, when you say "bucking horse at slow speed you may just be experiencing the dreaded twitchy throttle pedal surge which you perceived as rotational slip

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe if the short axle or wrong axle on the wrong side causes the drive ball race to slightly come out of the drive cup, just a guess. I dont know if the locker face cams/followers can be installed wrong but with that dealer anything seems possible.
Other than a damaged ring and pinion these would be the only other components that could possibly cause your symptoms.
Now, however, when you say "bucking horse at slow speed you may just be experiencing the dreaded twitchy throttle pedal surge which you perceived as rotational slip
So maybe the axles were installed on the wrong sides possibly? (I knew they were different lengths but didn't know if they could be installed wrong) bucking horse is maybe an exaggerated description. It's more like if you were to rock forward in your chair for a 1 one thousand and then it reconnects but maybe this is the touchy throttle thing? Also.im struggling with how this diff works after looking at the exploded view online. It looks like there isn't any spider gear action but more of a came face and follower type deal? As well as a 3 pin locker. Does that seem correct?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So maybe the axles were installed on the wrong sides possibly? (I knew they were different lengths but didn't know if they could be installed wrong) bucking horse is maybe an exaggerated description. It's more like if you were to rock forward in your chair for a 1 one thousand and then it reconnects but maybe this is the touchy throttle thing? Also.im struggling with how this diff works after looking at the exploded view online. It looks like there isn't any spider gear action but more of a came face and follower type deal? As well as a 3 pin locker. Does that seem correct?
It is an unorthodox style diff with some apparent tedious engineering involved. I have yet to find further info on this type of diff. One of the face cams(which are in place of typical side gears) slides inward to prevent the cam followers from rotating and thus locking the diff.
Leave it to Honda to engineer some fancy stuff in place of the typical. They are the only mfg. to utilize a DCT when every other company uses a rubber band.

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is an unorthodox style diff with some apparent tedious engineering involved. I have yet to find further info on this type of diff. One of the face cams(which are in place of typical side gears) slides inward to prevent the cam followers from rotating and thus locking the diff.
Leave it to Honda to engineer some fancy stuff in place of the typical. They are the only mfg. to utilize a DCT when every other company uses a rubber band.
Ah ok so that's how the limited slip works. Makes sense so unlock the diff doesn't really unlock it until you have different wheel speeds if I understand it correctly. But yes I specifically bought Honda since they use gears

Reactions: ODAMO
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah ok so that's how the limited slip works. Makes sense so unlock the diff doesn't really unlock it until you have different wheel speeds if I understand it correctly. But yes I specifically bought Honda since they use gears
Ok my machine also has 1 new front axle on it so what I'm wondering is if the original dealer just ordered 3 front axles and slapped them in cuz they would fit, sort of, since the front axles are shorter than the 2 rear axles. I'm gonna call the dealer it currently at tomorrow and have them measure the axles to see if maybe they are the same length, which they shouldn't be, and if they are I will be getting proper length axles with fix my problem. I will report back

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok my machine also has 1 new front axle on it so what I'm wondering is if the original dealer just ordered 3 front axles and slapped them in cuz they would fit, sort of, since the front axles are shorter than the 2 rear axles. I'm gonna call the dealer it currently at tomorrow and have them measure the axles to see if maybe they are the same length, which they shouldn't be, and if they are I will be getting proper length axles with fix my problem. I will report back
Never mind not possible inboard spline count is different on front and rear axles.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!