P1000 I think my rear diff is bad

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Maybe? I mean I can see the lever on the diff move when the lever in the cab moves. Do the symptoms I described seem like a sticky locker?
no clue what you are trying to fix here

at low speeds, they buck, is what it is

is your seat belt on, not hitting seat belt limiter

if at speed its all good, then not the axles

did you remove cable, move lever by hand and drive - eliminate the cable assembly as a thought

I recommend to drive someone else at least - drivetrain is all basically the same

does it feel like clutch slipping\grabbing?

Reactions: Smitty335
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no clue what you are trying to fix here

at low speeds, they buck, is what it is

is your seat belt on, not hitting seat belt limiter

if at speed its all good, then not the axles

did you remove cable, move lever by hand and drive - eliminate the cable assembly as a thought

I recommend to drive someone else at least - drivetrain is all basically the same

does it feel like clutch slipping\grabbing?
Honestly the more I read I think it's just me being not used to the DCT. I mean this was happening at less than 2 mph so it's probably clutch engagement and disengagement that I'm feeling that feels like rotational slip. Thanks for your straight forward response those are the ones I like.

I'll also add that at speed it runs beautifully so probably not axles

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honestly the more I read I think it's just me being not used to the DCT. I mean this was happening at less than 2 mph so it's probably clutch engagement and disengagement that I'm feeling that feels like rotational slip. Thanks for your straight forward response those are the ones I like.
u r welcome - remember, the computer brain is operating the clutch and trying not to slip it and destroy it, when I got my talon, first couple of miles I said wtf, this thing sucks, made a heel rest and got used to how to drive it, now its not even a thought

you will learn maybe, lower air pressure, soft shocks, etc. help a little -

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I heard back from the dealer today. When they opened the diff everything was clean no chipped or broken teeth on any gears. HOWEVER they said there is a lip where the locker rides can remember if it was on the pins that do the locking or the shaft it rides on. Dont know how bad the ridge is but it's probably why the rear end feels funny and the diff won't unlock. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Last edited:
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I heard back from the dealer today. When they opened the diff everything was clean now chipped or broken teeth on any gears. HOWEVER they said there is a lip where the locker rides can remember if it was on the pins that do the locking or the shaft it rides on. Dont know how bad the ridge is but it's probably why the rear end feels funny and the diff won't unlock. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?
Clarification from dealer. For anyone familiar with bearings the marks they saw in the differential are sort of like false brinelling so there is no actual lip just a stain, which is good, but they still can't get the diff to unlock properly despite adjusting the cables correctly. Not sure where we go from here lol

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Clarification from dealer. For anyone familiar with bearings the marks they saw in the differential are sort of like false brinelling so there is no actual lip just a stain, which is good, but they still can't get the diff to unlock properly despite adjusting the cables correctly. Not sure where we go from here lol
New cables?

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wellllllll the dealer called again and they are still having trouble so they are contacting Honda for guidance. They said they havent had one like this before so we shall see what happens!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wellllllll the dealer called again and they are still having trouble so they are contacting Honda for guidance. They said they havent had one like this before so we shall see what happens!
Glad you found a dealer willing to dig into whatever's going on with your buggy. 👍

advertisement
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys it's been a minute but I finally have some news! So my machine currently has 4 open recalls shame on the selling dealer for not fixing those before selling. Also my current dealer heard back from Honda, if you have been following along. Turns on that if the diff cables are not adjusted properly and you go to shift out of 2wd to turf it can bend the shaft that goes to the shifter fork in the diff that moves the locker in and out. Turns out that it doesn't take much of a bend for it to prevent a proper unlock. So keep your flux capacitor adjusted so you don't have to go through what I have! I will report back if the new shaft replacement in the diff fixes the problem.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey guys it's been a minute but I finally have some news! So my machine currently has 4 open recalls shame on the selling dealer for not fixing those before selling. Also my current dealer heard back from Honda, if you have been following along. Turns on that if the diff cables are not adjusted properly and you go to shift out of 2wd to turf it can bend the shaft that goes to the shifter fork in the diff that moves the locker in and out. Turns out that it doesn't take much of a bend for it to prevent a proper unlock. So keep your flux capacitor adjusted so you don't have to go through what I have! I will report back if the new shaft replacement in the diff fixes the problem.
I am happy to hear you have it straightened out.

But thank god it wasn't a belt problem, that might have been fixed in a couple of hours.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Glad to hear that you are making headway on it.

Reactions: Remington
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am happy to hear you have it straightened out.

But thank god it wasn't a belt problem, that might have been fixed in a couple of hours.
I mean this could happen to any locking differential

Reactions: Jerryg
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really. Not all diffs use cables.
Yes but to move a locker in and out you're going to have a fork that slides the locker that is attached to a shaft. And the shaft that moves the fork is what is bent. An electronically controlled diff locker that sticks could encounter the same problem.

Sorry you don't like Hondas.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes but to move a locker in and out you're going to have a fork that slides the locker that is attached to a shaft. And the shaft that moves the fork is what is bent. An electronically controlled diff locker that sticks could encounter the same problem.

Sorry you don't like Hondas.
I like Honda products, I sold them for 35 years, but I don't think Honda quality is what it used to be.

H

HondaTech

The selling price dealer can actually get in deep s*** for that

Not only with Honda but also the agencies that regulated that stuff. Fines and even losing their dealer license and franchise can be the consequences

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!