P1000 i4wd vs lockers

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was thinking about trading in my 21 on the 22 trail but I'm curious about the i4wd. My deluxe doesn't have it and I can't get the trail without it. I use my pioneer in my woods often climbing steep grades where you need all 4 wheels pulling and even then sometimes that isn't enough. Will the i4wd do that or is it not actually a locker in the front and rear?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was thinking about trading in my 21 on the 22 trail but I'm curious about the i4wd. My deluxe doesn't have it and I can't get the trail without it. I use my pioneer in my woods often climbing steep grades where you need all 4 wheels pulling and even then sometimes that isn't enough. Will the i4wd do that or is it not actually a locker in the front and rear?
All I'll say is I ride with a couple guys that have the I4WD, they sure do winch and stack a lot of rocks, I have the diff lock.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It'll do that and more. There's several YouTube videos on it. There are a couple of advantages with i4WD, one being that it does not detract from steering, in fact, it helps pull the vehicle through corners in the loose stuff, rather than tending to plow. I works by monitoring the speed of each wheel. When a wheel starts to slip, it applies braking to just that wheel so the power the spinning wheel would take, is diverted through the diff to the opposite wheel that does have traction. That's the good. The bad is that there are few aftermarket driveline parts that are specific to i4WD.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
12FC5997 D293 4C1C 9C18 38C8B0C47F6E

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not sure why that would or should be the case. The i4WD should work as well, or almost so, as 4 locked. I am in no way an expert on this.
Seems to happen when they get a front tire off the ground crawling rock ledges and when the I-4WD takes over it throws the front end over off of intended line and there stuck?????

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey @CumminsPusher , remember back when we first endured this debate. Seems like everyone on that i4wd bandwagon back then now has a KRX. Interesting ain't it.
Ya. I was against i4wd in the beginning, guess what? Still am. It bothers me less in a Talon then it would Pioneer as it can carry more speed because of the suspension but have personally felt i4wd struggle and loose power up a big hill climb and it scared me. And it searches a bit. It does not have the same traction.
Not saying there aren’t some positives because there are but I sure wish my new Talon came with same bad ass locker setup as I love in my Pioneer. That’s my opinion.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Ya. I was against i4wd in the beginning, guess what? Still am. It bothers me less in a Talon then it would Pioneer as it can carry more speed because of the suspension but have personally felt i4wd struggle and loose power up a big hill climb and it scared me. And it searches a bit. It does not have the same traction.
Not saying there aren’t some positives because there are but I sure wish my new Talon came with same bad ass locker setup as I love in my Pioneer. That’s my opinion.
Yep!

advertisement
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!