P1000 i4wd vs lockers

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So in reality, the question is "Do I want to know that the diffs are locked to make it up this hill or make through this hole" or "do I hope the computer can keep up and help help me up this hill or through this hole".

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So in reality, the question is "Do I want to know that the diffs are locked to make it up this hill or make through this hole" or "do I hope the computer can keep up and help help me up this hill or through this hole".
You've got ask your self one question: Do I feel lucky?

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One easy way to look at is a rock crawler vs. rally. Rock crawlers use lockers and rally uses awd. I4wd basically is awd in the front.
It’s very obvious when you drive the two different machines which has what. Higher speeds the awd handles better with less input needed which is a very good thing for that. Slip between the wheels is desired. Low speed super technical stuff you don’t want any slip or loss of traction, all wheels to act the same.
Will a diff lock drive down a dirt road, yes. Will an awd climb a hill, yes. But extreme either way one would suffer in comparison to the other.
That’s just the truth.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
One easy way to look at is a rock crawler vs. rally. Rock crawlers use lockers and rally uses awd. I4wd basically is awd in the front.
It’s very obvious when you drive the two different machines which has what. Higher speeds the awd handles better with less input needed which is a very good thing for that. Slip between the wheels is desired. Low speed super technical stuff you don’t want any slip or loss of traction, all wheels to act the same.
Will a diff lock drive down a dirt road, yes. Will an awd climb a hill, yes. But extreme either way one would suffer in comparison to the other.
That’s just the truth.
Yep the talon I think would handle high speed better than a krx but rock crawling with me driving the krx their probably even 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Trade show i4WD demo:

See right there you see it slip and hesitate before it goes, diff lock would’ve never slowed down or came to a stop first. In certain situations that’s a bad thing.
Drive against a tree with one front tire, i4wd stops, slips and chews bark off before it starts to go then slips off the tree. Diff lock drives straight up without loosing bark off the tree.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess this is one of those things that folks don't often agree on. I'm not into rock crawling, though we do have some gnarly trails. Nice thing is I can leave it in i4WD off road, so don't have to stop to lock or unlock the front diff. I'm still relatively low hours, but haven't seen a situation where I've felt traction was marginal . . . it just goes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I guess this is one of those things that folks don't often agree on. I'm not into rock crawling, though we do have some gnarly trails. Nice thing is I can leave it in i4WD off road, so don't have to stop to lock or unlock the front diff. I'm still relatively low hours, but haven't seen a situation where I've felt traction was marginal . . . it just goes.
Just so you know very few of us that have diff lock have ever bothered to stop to switch transfer case gears anywhere from turf mode to diff lock.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just so you know very few of us that have diff lock have ever bothered to stop to switch transfer case gears anywhere from turf mode to diff lock.

I've heard that before. However, that runs counter to the owner's manual recommendation to "bother to stop". I like mechanical things, do my best not to abuse them unnecessarily. I figure if Honda thought it was okay to shift the diff on the fly, they'd have crowed about that feature.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've heard that before. However, that runs counter to the owner's manual recommendation to "bother to stop". I like mechanical things, do my best not to abuse them unnecessarily. I figure if Honda thought it was okay to shift the diff on the fly, they'd have crowed about that feature.
I don’t know anyone that took one out from that. Ya just like an old truck with a real transfer case, no different. Let off throttle slightly and shift.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!