P1000 LT Tire Set Up - Affirm Please... sizes, offset, spacers, etc.

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks in advance all.

From the reading I've done on the forum here, I think I've gleaned what I should in order to CORRECTLY ascertain what I should in order to accomplish the task of switching over to Light Truck Tires on my 1000-5... I know a bit about tires and wheels, but not enough to assume without asking for a quick check... Also, if there is anything I may have overlooked in terms of questions, understanding, etc., please offer it up and correct me.

Provided I haven't missed vital information if I go with a 5+2 offset and add 1" rear spacers, I can take advantage of all four tires being identical. This will allow me flexibility with spares and also allow me to rotate tires in any fashion I want. Is this a correct assessment? Second question, what exactly does 5+2 mean?

My wheels are 4/137. So I have a four-bolt pattern on 137mm diameter span. That's easy enough. The 235/75/15 tires will have a rolling diameter similar to the stock tires I assume and fit without rubbing while turning, fully compressed, and compressed in a turn I assume. Am I correct on that one too?

I need to be cognizant of overall tire/wheel weight to avoid 400lbs of rotating mass robbing me of all kinds of power. So heavy tires and rim combos aren't preferred. I understand that one too. As far as tire pressure goes, it looked like folks ranged all the way from 25psi all the way around to 9/11 front/rear. That I can play with and alter for comfort/wear. I set my toe-in last fall from a ridiculous number to right at 1/8th if I remember correctly. Sounds like I can leave it as is with maybe a recheck after some break-in.

My rural county here in Iowa just put a UTV ordinance into place for county roads and the little town we're nearest is doing the same. My Honda will see a lot more road use now. I wanted to make sure I understood what I was doing before shopping.

I'll implement a watchful eye on the tire specs and I have plenty of sources for them. But honest to goodness it has been so long since I bought much in the way of ATV parts, I really don't know where I should be browsing for inexpensive quality rims and parts. Any guidance you have to offer would be appreciated.

The only question I had left at the moment regards the tire/rim relationship. Is it safe to assume any rim I buy will accept an LT tire or are there special concerns I have? Also, regarding balancing, should I be asking for the glue-on weights inside the rim? I can't imagine beating a lead weight onto the rim lip is wise, but I thought I'd better check.

I've had this unit now for just a shade under 1800 miles. Most use has been secondary road usage and a bit of trail, mud, and snow. I keep getting Honda recall notices and such in the mail, so I better take this thing in I reckon and have it checked out. I bought a 1/4 window to cut the wind off me a bit, but haven't ever installed it yet. I need to do that and follow up on a thread here where you guys helped me with that. That's on the 'to do' list. Once I get the tire thing done, I'll get a trailer purchased so I can take it with me to our Colorado house area.

Here's a link to my work FB page video with my little boy driving it for the first time. ...And promptly hitting a tree. This thing has been a lot of fun and I've never been sorry I purchased it.

link to son driving 1000-5

Thanks again for your help in advance. I really appreciate the help and the content you all contribute to this forum.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Your welcome I think🤔 lol. I’m just gona focus on the main points about your LT tires. mainly, your looking way too much into this. Google “what offset on a wheel means” to get a good definition. 5+2 is the standard most get. That’s what I have. That said, Either way I’d get 1”spacers in the front and 1-1/2” in the back or your gona rub with that size tire and the same size front and back is what u want with Lt. Also the weight. Yes you don’t want anything too heavy and Most all Lt’s are on the heavy side but also remember your not drag racing where speed is a big deal lol. No need to balance so don’t worry about weights. Yes, most if not all UTV rims will work with LT’s I would suggest to bite the bullet and get ones with outer bead locks. Oh and 25 PSI is way too much. 11 psi or lower. I run bet 10&8
one more thing, if u can post pics! We like pics, easier to know what your talking about;) and try and post your vidga’s to YouTube, copy and paste to your thread. Just so most can see it. A lot of folks like myself don’t have or want FB accounts.
Here’s some pics of my LT’s
30x10x15 with the spacers listed above
F87146B0 1259 4B12 8CB3 3176443E49A2
8D593E12 EBAF 4C8F B609 DAC5F09BB3C8

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
5+2 is how much of the rim is on each side of the hub face. 5" inside and 2" outside. 235/ 75 15 will be about 28in tall and about 2 inches taller than the stock tire. They will fit a stock machine just fine. I'm in iowa as well just 20 min south of des Moines. Whereabouts are you? I have LT tires on my machine as well if you need help.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty much everything @Remington said, especially the part about not having/wanting FB. I just put LT tires on mine yesterday and I have about 100 miles on them so far from pavement to hills to mud. I am extremely happy with them. Somebody in a thread around here mentioned they noticed needing more braking than they noticed power loss. I can vouch for this. I hardly ever “put the pedal to the metal”, but the power on tap still seemed plentiful. I just need to get used to letting off the gas a little sooner at speed to let the engine braking do its thing. The ride is like a whole new machine and the added ground clearance is handy, plus it looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimG and Remington
Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any tire over true 27.5 “ will rub, under under full lock and compression. LT tires are heavy and rob you of power. Also LT tires are made for 5000lb vehicles and cant flex enought for proper traction on hard and soft surfaces. LT tires have far inferior traction off road as compared to UTV tires. Your Pioneer has front and rear offset that is not duplicated by any aftermarket wheel product. The closest aftermarket match is 6+1 front and 4+3 rear. The common after recommendation is 5+2 offset front and rear.5+2 offset will increase your width from 63” to 66” in the front. Now you tires will be out beyond the wheel wells spraying you with door debris. Also you will be surprised how each tire sticking out 2” per side will be banging on trees and rocks. Thats my 2 cents.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Any tire over true 27.5 “ will rub, under under full lock and compression. LT tires are heavy and rob you of power. Also LT tires are made for 5000lb vehicles and cant flex enought for proper traction on hard and soft surfaces. LT tires have far inferior traction off road as compared to UTV tires. Your Pioneer has front and rear offset that is not duplicated by any aftermarket wheel product. The closest aftermarket match is 6+1 front and 4+3 rear. The common after recommendation is 5+2 offset front and rear.5+2 offset will increase your width from 63” to 66” in the front. Now you tires will be out beyond the wheel wells spraying you with door debris. Also you will be surprised how each tire sticking out 2” per side will be banging on trees and rocks. Thats my 2 cents.
Sounds like your against anything modified lol. just Messin with you :)
To your point, when you go with the same size wheel all the way around to get your track right, and to help with the rubbing that’s why you do spacers. Control arms are nice to do have with them but not everyone is gona do that. There not putting much if any more stress on the machine. We’re only talking a 1” to 1-1/2” more unless you want to go crazy lol. Your stock wheels kick the mud up to your back as well cuz of width and the rear taper of your bed. That’s when you want something like mud busters to help with that. I did that when I was running stock wheels to help that and I personally recommend it. No matter what you have your gona hit trees and rocks unless u ride snowmobile trails all the time haha I think I banged more with stock. As for making that much difference in width, as long as your not going down a 50” trail, I think you’ll be good lol. The added width has helped with stability and getting over larger rocks and controlling ruts. Now Loss of power? Ehhh maybe noticed a little bit But I’m not drag racing. If I had a 700 with LT’s then I could see the loss for sure. Grip has been fantastic over my Moto Claws I had. For good flex too, the low psi with Beadlocks helped to achieve that NP. The added braking slight difference. Just don’t go buy the real heavy super swappers. Be smart with what u buy. ;)

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your welcome I think🤔 lol. I’m just gona focus on the main points about your LT tires. mainly, your looking way too much into this. Google “what offset on a wheel means” to get a good definition. 5+2 is the standard most get. That’s what I have. That said, Either way I’d get 1”spacers in the front and 1-1/2” in the back or your gona rub with that size tire and the same size front and back is what u want with Lt. Also the weight. Yes you don’t want anything too heavy and Most all Lt’s are on the heavy side but also remember your not drag racing where speed is a big deal lol. No need to balance so don’t worry about weights. Yes, most if not all UTV rims will work with LT’s I would suggest to bite the bullet and get ones with outer bead locks. Oh and 25 PSI is way too much. 11 psi or lower. I run bet 10&8
one more thing, if u can post pics! We like pics, easier to know what your talking about;) and try and post your vidga’s to YouTube, copy and paste to your thread. Just so most can see it. A lot of folks like myself don’t have or want FB accounts.
Here’s some pics of my LT’s
30x10x15 with the spacers listed above

Many thanks. I must be confused over tire size and what will/won't rub. For some reason I thought I'd read that if I run the 235/75R15 units, I wouldn't rub with stock suspension. I better delve into that a bit deeper. I don't want to raise this up, if I don't have to.

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5+2 is how much of the rim is on each side of the hub face. 5" inside and 2" outside. 235/ 75 15 will be about 28in tall and about 2 inches taller than the stock tire. They will fit a stock machine just fine. I'm in iowa as well just 20 min south of des Moines. Whereabouts are you? I have LT tires on my machine as well if you need help.

I could look at a slightly smaller tire if I needed to. I'm ok with that. Hell, they don't even need to be LT rubber for that matter. I'm not crawling rocks, doing trails, etc. I'm usually doing forestry roads out west, gravel and level B roads in Iowa.... Now that our nearest city passed their UTV ordinance last night to match the county's it'll see plenty of pavement as well. All I know is it chews through tires on hard surface roads now, and there is a better way to put shoes on this beast considering I need less 'off road' and more 'on road' considerations.

I'm not located too far from Baxter. I've got some buddies that run the creeks south of Indianola. You might be in their neighborhood...

Reactions: TimG
C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty much everything @Remington said, especially the part about not having/wanting FB. I just put LT tires on mine yesterday and I have about 100 miles on them so far from pavement to hills to mud. I am extremely happy with them. Somebody in a thread around here mentioned they noticed needing more braking than they noticed power loss. I can vouch for this. I hardly ever “put the pedal to the metal”, but the power on tap still seemed plentiful. I just need to get used to letting off the gas a little sooner at speed to let the engine braking do its thing. The ride is like a whole new machine and the added ground clearance is handy, plus it looks good!

That helps. Thanks. I can see there being some subtle differences in road response. I hate FB. I just have a page there for my business. Gotta be in front of the customers, so I'll play along. You know what I mean....

C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I wondered if there was a magical draw to LT tires or what? I'm not trying to zip through the timber with this particular unit. I have a four wheeler for that. This is honestly more of an alternate mode of transportation for the family and me than a true multi-terrain vehicle if that helps give you an idea of how it'll be used.

advertisement
C

CCA

Jul 28, 2019
Iowa, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like your against anything modified lol. just Messin with you :)
To your point, when you go with the same size wheel all the way around to get your track right, and to help with the rubbing that’s why you do spacers. Control arms are nice to do have with them but not everyone is gona do that. There not putting much if any more stress on the machine. We’re only talking a 1” to 1-1/2” more unless you want to go crazy lol. Your stock wheels kick the mud up to your back as well cuz of width and the rear taper of your bed. That’s when you want something like mud busters to help with that. I did that when I was running stock wheels to help that and I personally recommend it. No matter what you have your gona hit trees and rocks unless u ride snowmobile trails all the time haha I think I banged more with stock. As for making that much difference in width, as long as your not going down a 50” trail, I think you’ll be good lol. The added width has helped with stability and getting over larger rocks and controlling ruts. Now Loss of power? Ehhh maybe noticed a little bit But I’m not drag racing. If I had a 700 with LT’s then I could see the loss for sure. Grip has been fantastic over my Moto Claws I had. For good flex too, the low psi with Beadlocks helped to achieve that NP. The added braking slight difference. Just don’t go buy the real heavy super swappers. Be smart with what u buy. ;)

Yes, I want it to track properly and use the same front and rear rim/wheel set, and provided I understand this properly, the spacers will allow me to do that. I always use quality sunglasses like Oakley or wear safety glasses/goggles when driving it. I have the glove box full of spares for passengers. Granted, the occasional rock will flip forward off the front tires and zip back into the cabin area, but it's rare. I realize the more stuff hanging out the sides of the wheel wells, the more stuff is going to get launched into the air. If that truly become problematic, I won't have any issue with implementing some sort of fender extension like the mud busters you mentioned.

According to what you posted above, I need rear spacers and fronts too? Additionally, wouldn't that outboard difference be made up by going with a 4+3 wheel and then adding only a spacer in the rear, or have I done the math wrong? Edited... I think after reading some of the other posts, I'm getting it. All things being equal, it 'should' work, but that depends on the tire choice, rim choice, etc. I think I grasp that properly. If 5+2 makes this work without sticking things out there farther outboard than they need to be, I can do that. I'll buy spacers and bolt them on and try it.

Now... To find this stuff in stock. Seems like I'm not the only person going this route... lol...

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes, I want it to track properly and use the same front and rear rim/wheel set, and provided I understand this properly, the spacers will allow me to do that. I always use quality sunglasses like Oakley or wear safety glasses/goggles when driving it. I have the glove box full of spares for passengers. Granted, the occasional rock will flip forward off the front tires and zip back into the cabin area, but it's rare. I realize the more stuff hanging out the sides of the wheel wells, the more stuff is going to get launched into the air. If that truly become problematic, I won't have any issue with implementing some sort of fender extension like the mud busters you mentioned.

According to what you posted above, I need rear spacers and fronts too? Additionally, wouldn't that outboard difference be made up by going with a 4+3 wheel and then adding only a spacer in the rear, or have I done the math wrong? Edited... I think after reading some of the other posts, I'm getting it. All things being equal, it 'should' work, but that depends on the tire choice, rim choice, etc. I think I grasp that properly. If 5+2 makes this work without sticking things out there farther outboard than they need to be, I can do that. I'll buy spacers and bolt them on and try it.

Now... To find this stuff in stock. Seems like I'm not the only person going this route... lol...
Your spacers are to be had at @RB3offroad they have nice ones (ones I use) there one of our venders and have nice combo front and rear packages to get you where u need!

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many thanks. I must be confused over tire size and what will/won't rub. For some reason I thought I'd read that if I run the 235/75R15 units, I wouldn't rub with stock suspension. I better delve into that a bit deeper. I don't want to raise this up, if I don't have to.

I have stock suspension and A-Arms, 5+2 offset, and just 1-inch RB3 spacers on the rear. I’ve only rubbed once since I’ve put mine on. And that was at full compression as I had the wheel turned while crossing a steep ditch from the road into a field. I was on the fence about going with LT tires but I took the dive and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to ATV/UTV tires. As much as you’re talking about running pavement, I don’t think you could possibly be better served than with LT tires. The ride difference on the asphalt was simply unbelievable, and I have been very satisfied with the off-road capabilities as well (and I ride a lot more hairy stuff than just groomed trails).

I think most of us running LT tires have mud-specific rubber, but I have seen a few that run mostly pavement with AT tires on theirs. If you mostly ride pavement like you said above, that may be a consideration as well. But like I said, if you’re worried about rubbing, it’s simply not gonna happen on pavement or smooth roads/trails at normal speeds.

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

What did you end up getting for tires? I'm planning on going 235/75/15 LT tires soon. And by the way, i'm just north of you in StoCo

J

jonaknut1

Sep 1, 2022
Riverton, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lt tires are not much heavier than most aftermarkets of similar design. I am running Good Year duratracs and they are 36 lbs each but also taller than a comparable 28" tire that average 32-34lbs. LT tires have load ratings and the smaller tires have lighter load ratings that are comparable to 6ply tires. This means that they are really not stiffer. Lastly, the factory offset is 5+2 front and 5+3 rear. A 4+3 offset in the rear wouldn't widen or narrow the stance. The rim is just an in narrower.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!