P700 P7 as a winter vehicle

F

Fallen1125

Jan 11, 2017
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello all,

Obviously I'm new here, but my wife and I are looking at side by sides and wanted to get some input that I haven't been able to find yet.

Let me preface this by what we are looking for in a SxS... something to go check cattle in late January when calving season starts. That's the main driving factor. It will get used around the farm all year but in general I'm sure what ever I choose will do that work just fine.

Now here is the issue, I'm looking to get a hard cab with a heater because January iso cold. Two big concerns here. 1. Does the oem hard cab seal up well and keep the air cold out? 2. Does the oem heater work, as in warm the cab and keep it warm... in a decent time frame. If it takes 10 - 15 mins for the heater to warm the cab up then it's not going to be very useful compared to the farm truck.

I'm currently looking at the P7-4 and the polaris ranger 900. I want the pioneer to fit my needs because I like the transmission and shafts drive over the cvt and belt of the polaris, it is simple in its operation (my wife can just as easily jump in and go without concern), Hondas are pretty built proof, and the jump seats would be nice for taking the kids out for a ride now and then.

I know I'm going to get glowing reviews about how everyone loves their plucky little p7, I just want to make sure it's right for me as well.

Thank you for the help.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The hard cab on the polaris is going to be better from what I've seen. I don't think either will be as warm as a truck or as quickly. 700 is bullet proof compared to the polaris.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
MJayco

MJayco

Oct 27, 2016
NH
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have an ebay heater, not OEM, it works good but takes a good 15 - 20 minutes before blowing warm air.

Reactions: Plumber32
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't ha ave a hard cab but I'm guessing it would take a little extra work for it to seal really good. I thought there was a heater mod you could do that made it heat up faster, you may try doing a search here to see if it comes up.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Like @Tflynn said,even with the hard cab there are still a lot of holes ( around the shifters, seat ect.) that would need to be sealed. I have the soft cab and heater and Iv'e found that a slow speeds we stay more than warn enough,but as speeds pick up so does the air blowing through the cab. But its way better than an atv and no where as warm as the pickup.

Reactions: MJayco
F

Fallen1125

Jan 11, 2017
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So went to the dealership tonight and drove both the the Honda and the Polaris. Have to say the Honda felt more like what I wanted when driving, the polaris with the cvt just didn't feel right. It obviously had more power but it came on with a little bit of a jolt. For something that we intend to check cattle with it didn't feel right.

Needless to say we are going with the honda and putting a hard cab on it. I'll try and get pictures and a review of the cab system as soon as I get a good impression of it.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good call. Looking forward to watching your build!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!