P700 Pioneer 700 Hard Starting

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
My P700 has 247 miles. I adjusted the valves at ~80 miles. It runs much better after the valve adjustment. However, it's never started quickly. My vintage 300 fourtrax has always started instantly. The P700 takes 3-5 secs to start. Is this normal? What could be the problem? Thanks for your thoughts.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Mine does the same thing, normally it will start on the first attempt, but I've had a few time where it took two trys to get it going.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds normal to me. I've never had it fire instantly, not sure if it has something to do with the fuel injection or what. If you think yours is really bad though, the internals in your spark plug boot may be loose. This happened to me recently and after fixing the problem it seemed to start quicker. Give this a read if you haven't already-

P700m4 - Loose spark plug boot question

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When cold, i normally wait till fuel pump stops. T, andthen crank for a few seconds. cycle key and wait till pump stops again. then it seems to fire sooner.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been having a lot of trouble starting mine when it is cold (Single Digits or Lower). I have about 1700 miles on mine and adjusted the valves at the second oil change. I took a recommendation from Toodeep on the other forum and have been starting mine by putting the key in and instantly starting it, instead of letting the fuel pump run by stopping in the run position. Hopefully that makes sense. It seems to help, but I have come to the conclusion the biggest problem is the size of the battery and it lack of spinning it over fast enough. This will be my next change when I get time, is to install a secondary battery. I put synthetic oil in about a 100 miles ago and that seemed to help too, but still not a ball of fire when its cold.

T

turbodog

I have been having a lot of trouble starting mine when it is cold (Single Digits or Lower). I have about 1700 miles on mine and adjusted the valves at the second oil change. I took a recommendation from Toodeep on the other forum and have been starting mine by putting the key in and instantly starting it, instead of letting the fuel pump run by stopping in the run position. Hopefully that makes sense. It seems to help, but I have come to the conclusion the biggest problem is the size of the battery and it lack of spinning it over fast enough. This will be my next change when I get time, is to install a secondary battery. I put synthetic oil in about a 100 miles ago and that seemed to help too, but still not a ball of fire when its cold.

Can anyone say FOR SURE that the pioneer doesn't suffer from the same defective starter that the big red had?

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
This has now worked for me. I turn the key to almost the start position, wait a few seconds; and it usually starts instantly. I think getting fuel to the injector is the key to this.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Mines been that way for 2 years it just doesn't start fast no matter what really. I started truning the key to on and wait a few seconds. It starts a little better doing that.

T

turbodog

You guys, this sounds JUST like my bad starter problem I had with (2) of my big reds. Can you guys record what a typical cranking sounds like and post it here, or on youtube, or just email me a clip. I can tell you if it sounds like mine did before I replaced my starters.

Both my big reds ALWAYS sounded like they could just barely turn the engine over, like the battery was almost dead. And the problem persisted even with a NEW, fresh, fully charged battery AND being jumped off also.

After the starter replacement... not even like the same machine. I would say roughly that cranking RPM increased about 300%.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When it's cold it does crank pretty slow. It will crank for a couple of seconds and then acts like motor is about to start, then it seems like the starter kicks out and the dash display will go dead. I checked connections at the battery and everything seems to be fine. The only real trouble I have had is when it is super cold. In the single digits or less. Does this sound like the Big Red?? I read they had some trouble with the starter magnets coming apart. I just thought it was the battery. I found out the Canadian version of the 700 comes with a 16 amp hour battery vs the US 14. Any info would be great. I can honestly say this is the worst starting thing I have ever owned at those temps.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
When it's cold it does crank pretty slow. It will crank for a couple of seconds and then acts like motor is about to start, then it seems like the starter kicks out and the dash display will go dead. I checked connections at the battery and everything seems to be fine. The only real trouble I have had is when it is super cold. In the single digits or less. Does this sound like the Big Red?? I read they had some trouble with the starter magnets coming apart. I just thought it was the battery. I found out the Canadian version of the 700 comes with a 16 amp hour battery vs the US 14. Any info would be great. I can honestly say this is the worst starting thing I have ever owned at those temps.

T

turbodog

Thanks for the video. No, yours does not sound like my 2 bad ones did. They cranked at 1/2 that speed and with a 'straining/screeching' sound.

If you are not running synthetic oil, I would switch to it. I noticed faster/easier cranking with it, specifically the 10/30 instead of the 10/40. It also helped transmission creep as well.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Was that a warm engine? Mine never fires that fast.
No it was cold start, It was about 70 that day tho. Not the really cold weather he was talking about. When it's in the 20's it's a little slower. it doesn't get really cold here.

Reactions: Farmer
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
has there been any more info about this. Since day 1 mine take 3-5 seconds before it starts. Ive tried instantly starting it, and turning the key, waiting on display to read normal, then starting. Not much difference. When ive been riding its fine. Only the first crank. does it at 70* and at 20*

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really feel like this is the nature of the beast and not a problem, although a bit irritating. Mines been doing it for over 4000 miles pretty much the same now as always.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
thanks, seems strange for a FI machine. But if its just that way, then its just that way. every other ATV/SXS ive had with fuel injection started right away

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
My P700 has 247 miles. I adjusted the valves at ~80 miles. It runs much better after the valve adjustment. However, it's never started quickly. My vintage 300 fourtrax has always started instantly. The P700 takes 3-5 secs to start. Is this normal? What could be the problem? Thanks for your thoughts.
How far out was your adjustment?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!