Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I would strongly recommend using several different reinforced mounting point, one can be the hitch but the secondary points have to make sure the load is supported at all angles. This will prevent the hitch from breaking and not allow a single point to hold the load.
Also make sure you use grade 8 hardware so the bolts don't become your weak link.
Good luck on your build

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I ran across these tonight, It is a rear hitch receiver based hitch with winch tower have them in sizes to fit both the P500 (1.25") and P700/ P1K (2")

Cobra Receiver Winch tower for P500

http://granatellimotorsports.com/products/Cobra_Receiver_and_Winch_Tower_with_1_25_receiver_3_Elevated_Fixed_Winch_Pad-2560-578.html

Cobra receiver winch tower for P700 & P1K

http://granatellimotorsports.com/products/Cobra_Receiver_and_Winch_Tower_with_2_receiver_3_Elevated_Fixed_Winch_Pad-2556-578.html

2015 11 06 18 25 53

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I like it - crazy expensive for what it is however. You could easily build one for under $50 but......

I think I personally would be concerned with the "twisting" force on the hitch under load - may need a bit of reinforcement.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Those look like trouble. Surely the leverage that places on be hitch can't be good. Even a straight line pull will try to twist the hitch down. Right?

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Those look like trouble. Surely the leverage that places on be hitch can't be good. Even a straight line pull will try to twist the hitch down. Right?

Sent from my iPhone 10s

100% correct!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
100% correct!
Yes those in the pic are the TALL ones, the two links I provided is only 3" off the main shank a lot less torque on the hitch. I also agree a similar setup could be fabbed for 1/4 the asking price especially for a SXS application. But it could work, even if a mounting plate was welded right onto the tounge.

Reactions: Tflynn
H

hacksawjoe

Nov 24, 2015
Mill Hall Pa.
105289c625d72e22e6f68062ea925305

This took two 4500lb winches to get out pulling in tandem, yeah I could've doubled the line but it was a little too far for my short 38' line to reach when it's half length and there was another guy there so we just hooked them both up.

It wasn't a true 4500lb pull EACH because we weren't on the first layer probably at most 5000lb combined.

There's more to account for when winching than a 4500lb winch and a 1700lb vehicle (what mine weighs)

You have to account for the different pulls on each layer of the winch the more rope you have on the winch the higher the effective gear ratio(lower the pulling power), like Joey said the Alabama Clay is like peanut butter crossed with quicksand, it draws you in then doesn't want to let go because of its composition. So the mud is effectively stuck to the vehicle holding it in place so you have to break the mud apart or break the vehicle free( consider a 3'x3'x3' section of dry earth weighs @2700-3000lbs) so if you're pushing a portion of that do the math for dirt on dirt CoF. Then add that to the vehicle then account for accessories and a slight incline or a root or rock, or you may have to position the block in such a way that you are in effect lifting AND pulling the vehicle free to get it over the obstacle.

Twice the weight of a vehicle is a general guideline, I like triple the weight and a snatch block, just in case.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
just looked at your pic stuck in mud and about crapped my pants the first ride my wife and I took in our 700-4 we got stuck exactly like that but when I tried to get out after my wife got out the machine wanted to roll so I had my wife stand on drivers side running board and hold on roll bar and lean back we went in reverse about 6 in then I locked it in4 whell diff and told her to ho on and it crawled out forward we didn't have a winch on yet and we were about 3 to4 miles away from truck my wife saw your ic andaughed it look like our situation

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!