P500 School me on spacers

T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
I understand the concept of adding spacers for stability, but I have some questions...

1. Is this basically the same as changing to rims with different back spacing?

2. I see a lot of folks using 1.5" spacers. Is that a sweet spot or just what's available?

3. Anyone added them to stock rims? Is it worth doing? (probably related to question 1)

4. Does it change the ride? In other words will it help the roughness of the ride at all? ...I'm assuming no...

I'm toying with doing this for use in Texas and then pulling them off if I go out of state for 50" trails (like elk hunting in CO).

C

Chooglin

1. It's much easier to gain width with spacers vs wider wheels. If you went with 1 1/2" spacers ,it's the same as going with a 4+3 wheel !.........personally, I would just put them on the rear.

2. 1 1/2" to 2.00" are most common

3. Can't answer this one

4. It will give you a slight amount more leverage to compress the springs.

I would suggest a larger radial tire 26"-27"
And remove the sway bar for a better ride!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
1. It's much easier to gain width with spacers vs wider wheels. If you went with 1 1/2" spacers ,it's the same as going with a 4+3 wheel !.........personally, I would just put them on the rear.

2. 1 1/2" to 2.00" are most common

3. Can't answer this one

4. It will give you a slight amount more leverage to compress the springs.

I would suggest a larger radial tire 26"-27"
And remove the sway bar for a better ride!

Chooglin is spot on.....

Here's what I did, I planned to get a taller-wider tire but didn't like the idea of mounting them on the narrow stock wheels. Bought a set of 27" radial tires on the cheapest steel wheel I could find....ITP Black... I can't see them when I'm driving anyway so why spend the extra $$ on fancy wheels, I ordered the wheels with the 4+3 offset to give the machine a bit more stability. I'm not sure if it's the extra sidewall height, the radial tires or the extra width but it's like an entirely different machine. The ride is much improved!!!

FYI, Tusk Terrabites @ 8psi, RMATV under $700 shipped to my door in 3 days.

T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
Chooglin's answer to #1 was what I thought (was hoping).

Because of the 50" trail need/desire, I was thinking 26" max. From what I've read on here I can get away with the 26x's and still fit in the 50" trails (assuming I remove the spacers).

I've been toying with the sway bar disconnect. I may do that the next time I bring the UTV home from my hunting lease.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I understand the concept of adding spacers for stability, but I have some questions...

1. Is this basically the same as changing to rims with different back spacing?

2. I see a lot of folks using 1.5" spacers. Is that a sweet spot or just what's available?

3. Anyone added them to stock rims? Is it worth doing? (probably related to question 1)

4. Does it change the ride? In other words will it help the roughness of the ride at all? ...I'm assuming no...

I'm toying with doing this for use in Texas and then pulling them off if I go out of state for 50" trails (like elk hunting in CO).

Some say that offset wheels are safer and less impact on wheel bearings and such, but I think it's minimal. I put 1" spacers on with stock wheels and 26" BH's and it was stable. I was at 52" that way. Rides a lot better.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
No Restrictions
in New Mexico
I'm 5+2 offset
2"spacers on alI, 4 corners
...I'm at 58".... front & back still fits
..in 2500 GMC..,LongBox
it's a totally different
...ANIMAL...

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Run 2x4...along each side of tires
...front to back...
took measurements

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Forgive my ignorance ..... I thought wheel spacers put more stress on your hub and axle and other moving parts and were NOT a good idea to use....I could be wrong..
wheels with different offset where a better option..

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Run 2x4...along each side of tires
...front to back...
took measurements

The back is wider though. I plumbed down the outside of the tires with a level and made a mark on the floor for front and back. Actually did it twice to make sure. 53 - 53 3/4. 9's on front, 11's on back.

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Forgive my ignorance ..... I thought wheel spacers put more stress on your hub and axle and other moving parts and were NOT a good idea to use....I could be wrong..
You may be right but it depends on what you do with your P500. I use standard wheels with Ripsaw RT tires on 12 inch wheels with 1 1/2 inch spacers when I'm not in an area with 50" wide trail restrictions. When I'm in a 50" trail restriction area I just take the spacers off, then I'm back to 50". If you just use 4+3 offset wheels to gain stability, you are pretty much stuck with that. My Ripsaw's are 25", my base camp in Idaho is 6000' and my base camp in Colorado is 8000'. So far, it's worked good for me.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Some say that offset wheels are safer and less impact on wheel bearings and such, but I think it's minimal. I put 1" spacers on with stock wheels and 26" BH's and it was stable. I was at 52" that way. Rides a lot better.

I just added 1" Moose Racing spacers front and back. Torqued them to 60 ft lbs. Used blue thread lock. Running stock rims with 26" Mudlites @ 8 psi. I'm taking the P5 on a major ride tomorrow. That'll give me an idea if going from 50" to 52" will be noticeable. 52" is the max width to squeeze the rig between the wheelwells in the back of my GMC 2500 truck.
Al

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That'll give me an idea if going from 50" to 52" will be noticeable.

I put bigger tires on mine before the first ride, 26's on stock rims and there was too much pucker for me. Put 1" spacers on all 4 and it made a huge difference! Eventually put 5+2 after market wheels on, which spread it out another 1", and that made a difference in how it felt too. You're going to love the stability. ;)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I'm sure at some point...they do...
if wheelbearings...need replaced
to give my machine..that kinda stability
....I'll take that trade off...
which I've stated..in other threads...
there's a trade off..on alot of..
mods...
A Stable Machine was my goal...
& where I'm at now....
IMO

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!