ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I needed room to carry 4 people or 3 people and a full cooler so I had to get my Polaris repair kit, spare tire and recovery gear out of the back. I've been tinkering with this since before WindRock, I was hoping to be able to use it there but just didn't have the time to finish.

This was my solution. I went down to the metal supermarket, no kidding google it, it's a chain.
Bought some 1x3 tube, 1.5x1.5 tube and bought a spare tire carrier hinge online, because I wanted to be able to hinge it to use a dump bed for a deer or whatever. I mounted HDPE pieces to the uprights to keep the tire and RotoPax from wearing the paint off and causing rust. I also put HDPE between the pieces on the left end where I have the Allen bolt for now for the same reason and to reduce rattles and squeaks. I ordered a long T handle bolt but it's on it's way.

The tires are 28x10-12 Blackwater Evolution, I ordered a set of 5 so I could have a spare. They are true to size at 28.25" tall unweighted and 10.5" wide unweighted on a 7" wide rim.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311244261374

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311258191149

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311279246846

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311288812255

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311301030027

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311309781583

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429311328066915

Last edited:
fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
If you decide to make a few of these, I'm in. Just what I've been looking for - great Job!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
heck yea looks really good i think you will like those tires better than the dirt devils

Reactions: ohanacreek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If u have time...
Can u add a picture of the latch and how it works please?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok that was an unexpected amount of interest.

I will check in the next week or so and see how much it would cost to have these fabbed up.
This was time intensive project and to make them with any degree of speed I would need to outsource.
I'll post a price on the website and they will be made to order, so understand, delivery will not be next day.

Since they would be made to order it could be made to fit a 28" or a 30" tire.

Reactions: john
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If u have time...
Can you add a picture of the latch and how it works please?
The "latch" is that allen head bolt for now. It will be a T-handle as soon as I get it in and make sure it will work.

I tried a few "tire carrier latches" but they were to big and bulky, unreliable by design or did not fasten tightly enough to stop the carrier from moving and rattling. Lot of money in the trash can. Decided to just go with a bolt. Should have in the first place but I tried to be all fancy.

"K.I.S.S."--- "Keep It Simple Stupid"

One thing to note I have a Tusk UTV scissor jack on back order it is mounting on the bed side of the Tire upright.
I have a HighLift jack I was going to use, but it was just too heavy.

Reactions: Hondasxs
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks great. How does it pull the black waters? I am ordering a set of 30's.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure yet, only ridden it for maybe half a mile, no gooey mud. I think I'd have to stage a drag race to really see the difference between the 27's and the 28's.

Going to be a little while before any good test. BabyCreek is keeping me close to home for a while.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure yet, only ridden it for maybe half a mile, no gooey mud. I think I'd have to stage a drag race to really see the difference between the 27's and the 28's.

Going to be a little while before any good test. BabyCreek is keeping me close to home for a while.

Update, had it on a job site today, was able to stretch its legs per say.

I can't say for sure considering I have a 3'x5' windshield that creates a lot of drag but 28" tires may slow your acceleration down a bit top end it takes a min on flat ground to get to 45, gets to 40 pretty well but those last few mph take a few seconds, but it could be the aerodynamic drag of the windshield.

I don't think it makes a noticeable difference in 1st or 2nd, but third is tall enough of a gear once it passes the peak power rpm range it takes a second to rev out.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's how my machine acts with the 27's already.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok that was an unexpected amount of interest.

I will check in the next week or so and see how much it would cost to have these fabbed up.
This was time intensive project and to make them with any degree of speed I would need to outsource.
I'll post a price on the website and they will be made to order, so understand, delivery will not be next day.

Since they would be made to order it could be made to fit a 28" or a 30" tire.
Did you ever start selling these?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did you ever start selling these?
sorry ive been reading so much old stuff i forgot to look at the time stamp. ill wait before i ask again lol

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sorry ive been reading so much old stuff i forgot to look at the time stamp. ill wait before i ask again lol

This was not originally planned on being a product, it was just for me. Seems I underestimated the interest.
The fab shop is use for other things is working on a price for metal work. As soon as I have some time to figure what its going to cost to powder coat and ship. I will post here. It may be a week or two from now, my day job has me really busy.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the pulling power should be able the same? I use my pioneer a lot pulling a trailer.

Pulled my Kubota Mini Tractor on the trailer this weekend, got water in the fuel over the winter and could not get a filter on Sunday around here, trailer and all is probably in the neighborhood of 2500-3000#, well over what Honda recommends. It pulled it out of the woods, but it was hard to stop! It was a bit sluggish, and I don't think I would have tried any big hills or deep mud but it did the job. Even though it was way past what it was intended for.

Trailer was fine, it was the one I had at WindRock, weighs about 800# empty, no noticeable sluggishness.

H

hobbes

May 4, 2015
can not wait for this to be up for sale. I have been looking for this kind of solution. Nice design. very nice.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adding the item to the site, haven't gotten the pricing back yet, check back for updates.
It will be up soon.

Reactions: Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!