P500 Took delivery of New P 520 Concerned!

R

Rumbles1960

Jan 28, 2022
LaSalle, Ontario
Ownership

1. 520
Took delivery of my new Pioneer 520 Saturday, thought I should report some things of concern and maybe others can do the same, might save a trip back to the dealer. I found three push pins missing along the driver's seat trim, paint missing inside the driver's side wheel well and most concerning is a under torqued actually loose bolt on the frame approximately located under the gas pedal. You have to remove the underneath rocker splash shield to see it. Not slamming Honda at all just not what I've been use to seeing on other Honda products I've bought over the years.

IMG 20220311 095732 IMG 20220307 091358 IMG 20220307 091617

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Unfortunately this happens in the motorsports world lately and this has been noticed on here many times already. Cuz of the scamdemic quality has gone to $hit in some areas Including the quality if workers. Technically your dealer should have done a better check of your machine before delivery. Thats on them. You will prob be better off at fixing these small things yourself for practically nothing. That so called “splash guard” should come off anyway for a real skid plate. But thats another thread.

As for being Honda the only one with issue. I have to strongly disagree. A buddy bought a new Yami sled this year and there were parts missing and loose bolts from manufacturing he ran into and his dealer missed it as well so 🤷‍♂️

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Thats really sad. I've been buying Honda bikes and ATVs since the 60's, and always just jumped on them and rode the stink out of them with no problems. Same thing for my 2016 P500 that I bought in late 2015.

One would think that with production as slow as it is right now, that they would have plenty of time to assemble them and inspect them for flaws and defects. I also fault the dealer who should have caught those problems when they inspected it.

I will definitely still consider Honda if and when I buy again, but pay closer attention to reviews and opinions. Thanks for your comments and hope you find everything else as it should be. 👍

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
wow, I also fairly recently picked up my 520, besides seeing 4 tires ,and steering wheel I was ready to go. Did not think of ,or even know what to look for in detail (besides the obvious) nor what to question. Think I'll give it a more detailed inspection. Thanks for the heads up.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Pics or it didn't happen.
Haha you funny man!
trying to use my own philosophy on me eh! 🤨 😂

I dont have the tunnel bolts pic that was loose, but the gauge lights were moistured up on the way home. Had faulty seals. They replaced the gauge cluster. heated seat had an issue and cracked the vynal on the first trip as well. Its a BA machine tho. Fun to ride.
E43AE3E6 232C 45B3 9C52 2E2757BB93BA

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Haha you funny man!
trying to use my own philosophy on me eh! 🤨 😂

I dont have the tunnel bolts pic that was loose, but the gauge lights were moistured up on the way home. Had faulty seals. They replaced the gauge cluster. heated seat had an issue and cracked the vynal on the first trip as well. Its a BA machine tho. Fun to ride.
View attachment 323899
Hanging out on the Yamaha SXS forums and have never seen any complaints like the OP.

Not saying that Yamaha doesn't make mistakes, but it is clearly nothing like what I see with Honda.

Back in the days when I was working for Honda, they would get nervous about a 1% "warranty exposure" rate, WTF happened?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Scamdemic like many others amongst other things. Ive had a few Banshees and was happy
check there sled forums. Youll see some issues.
One excuse is as good as the next, if you can't produce, shut it down.

The floor supervisors for paint and frame assembly should be relieved immediately.

What if that frame came apart and the owner crashed?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What if that frame came apart and the owner crashed?
Although it sucks and would be a tragedy, im sure thats what the co says thats what insurance (for the co and owner) is for. Like my co, were one of the best HVAC co’s in out area, guys make mistakes and are human. We train the best we can but u cant take the human aspect away from it. Thats why we have insurance as well. Were limited with the type of workforce we have cuz of the scamdemic and the kids not having any mechanical experience (working with there hands) cuz the screwools have takin that away. those kids are starting to hit the workforce and were seeing those effects in front of our very eyes. Many of whom have been forced to go to college and get a degree in something they cant get a job in. My 2 nephews are perfect examples. I dont know how old u are? if u still work or retired? But its not like it was when I was growing up as opposed to the workforce of today. unfortunately, we cant be too pickey of who we hire If we need body's to stay afloat. We try and train the best we can, but its not always that easy teaching an old dog new tricks.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Although it sucks and would be a tragedy, im sure thats what the co says thats what insurance (for the co and owner) is for. Like my co, were one of the best HVAC co’s in out area, guys make mistakes and are human. We train the best we can but u cant take the human aspect away from it. Thats why we have insurance as well. Were limited with the type of workforce we have cuz of the scamdemic and the kids not having any mechanical experience (working with there hands) cuz the screwools have takin that away. those kids are starting to hit the workforce and were seeing those effects in front of our very eyes. Many of whom have been forced to go to college and get a degree in something they cant get a job in. My 2 nephews are perfect examples. I dont know how old u are? if u still work or retired? But its not like it was when I was growing up as opposed to the workforce of today. unfortunately, we cant be too pickey of who we hire If we need body's to stay afloat. We try and train the best we can, but its not always that easy teaching an old dog new tricks.
It's a sad situation all around for sure.

Honda's main concerncern regarding failures was their "brand recognition". They didn't want the issues of PE and Power Sports to hurt their automobile sales. I remember them telling me that their "brand recognition" was #2 in the USA under Coca Cola.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
For the OP and like Remington is saying- it's not just Honda, it's everywhere. From what I have seen, the pandemic has reduced the 20 ~ 30 something workforce to a bunch of lazy, not give a crap about what you do with your life. Work ethic is all but non-existent. Throw in that every employer is hurting for workers, if you are not doing your job, you don't get fired because you show up everyday. Or if you do get fired, or get tired of your employer's attitude, just go down the road and get hired there. It's very true that under-qualified people are doing jobs simply because the employer needs a "body" in that position and are more concerned with keeping a "body" in that position than they are about quality work.

More than likely, the OP's issue was the dealer prep. Because no one is going into the career of a mechanic, the dealer probably has a "warm body" that shows up for work and got a couple days training on doing new machine prep. No more seasoned veterans out there for dealer mechanics.

I work for an O.E. Automotive manufacturer and have seen this every day for the past 3 years.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
For the OP and like Remington is saying- it's not just Honda, it's everywhere. From what I have seen, the pandemic has reduced the 20 ~ 30 something workforce to a bunch of lazy, not give a crap about what you do with your life. Work ethic is all but non-existent. Throw in that every employer is hurting for workers, if you are not doing your job, you don't get fired because you show up everyday. Or if you do get fired, or get tired of your employer's attitude, just go down the road and get hired there. It's very true that under-qualified people are doing jobs simply because the employer needs a "body" in that position and are more concerned with keeping a "body" in that position than they are about quality work.

More than likely, the OP's issue was the dealer prep. Because no one is going into the career of a mechanic, the dealer probably has a "warm body" that shows up for work and got a couple days training on doing new machine prep. No more seasoned veterans out there for dealer mechanics.

I work for an O.E. Automotive manufacturer and have seen this every day for the past 3 years.
I hear what you guys are saying and I can only go by my own experience.

There are no stories that I have seen on the Yamaha SXS forums that are similar to what I have seen here multiple times.

The quality of my Wolverine both structural and cosmetic is absolutely flawless. Purchased in June 2021.

Some companies are dealing with the situation better than others.

L

ladoredb

Oct 11, 2021
ONTARIO
Ownership

1. 520
How much did they zing you for Dealer Prep ?

When I picked my 520 up couple months ago.
Had a spare plastic clip sitting on floorboards, and missing one skid plate bolt.
Otherwise it was good.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The dealer that sold my P1K-3 also sells CanAm, Yamaha, and Polaris so I would think it still comes down to the dealer to make sure each and every unit they sell is perfect no matter how the machines were received from the respective assembly plants. Jmho..

D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
Makes me want to start checking bolts on the machine I recently picked up. I did do a quick overall visual and found a loose pushpin and a small shouldered bolt laying under the seat. Haven't found any empty holes to match, so hopefully it's all good.

All in all, I echo the same work ethic issues with the current times. It's definitely went downhill over the past several years. I know our workforce has a much higher turnover rate and we seem to struggle with personnel issues constantly. I can only imagine what it's like in manufacturing.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
That's why I bought a Yamaha.

Your dealer sucks too.
Sounds like a rushed dealer prep you payed for....I would contact your dealer. Since covid good workers returning to the job has been frustrating in many areas of the work force.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!