P500 Took delivery of New P 520 Concerned!

D

Dynamicfigure

Jan 12, 2021
WA
Everyone has a right to their opinion. I don't fault lazy factory workers, or folks with "too much time on their hands," as part of the equation though. The massive labor shortages across industry are driving most factories I work with (own a recruiting and staffing company) to work all there workers 6+ days a week and overtime is now the norm. Most of these workers are not young folks, but middle, and older age. The work ethic is solid, though turnover of skilled talent is at record rates due to wage pressures and overwork.

When someone works 48+ hours a week, months on end, just to try to catch up to demand, quality starts to suffer. It's complex math from there as this reverberates through the supply chain. In the end every product today, from a pair of siccors to a spaceship are all effected by this dynamic.

To top it off, there are not any easy solutions. Paying someone more at every curve in the road just leads to an arms race with other companies on wages, inflation and more of the same. That inflation might be the eventual solution because, sooner ot later people will not be able to buy as much, driving down demand, and workloads. Will be a couple more very interesting years ahead tho...

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The big picture, Honda loses it's reputation for reliability.

People buy a different brand, Honda has to stop production of SXS because nobody wants them.

So, shut it down now until you can get the problems under control, so you don't have to shut it down permanently.

Feelings have nothing to do with this, it's just business.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Things do change, in the early 2000's Honda was unstopable.
Maybe my experience with my just picked up new 2021 P1K-3 is sort of an exception to what seems to be happening now with Honda products and their dealers. I had time today to look it over in detail and honestly I could not find a stitch of fault with the fit and finish of any part of it. I have not ran it more than a few miles since getting it due to our current weather and snow conditions but mechanically so far it seems to run and shift smoothly. To me, I think my dealer took the time to make sure it was as good as it was made to be. Time will tell.

R

Rumbles1960

Jan 28, 2022
LaSalle, Ontario
Ownership

1. 520
Hey guys things just got a little worse, found 4 push pins missing from the dash on the passenger side. I've contacted the dealer with my original findings might as well add this new find. He sent me a oil change kit and a bag of push pins. He also contacted someone at quality control especially about the bolt in the frame that wasn't torqued. Hopefully this is it and I don't run into anything else.

IMG 20220313 145420 IMG 20220313 145444

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey guys things just got a little worse, found 4 push pins missing from the dash on the passenger side. I've contacted the dealer with my original findings might as well add this new find. He sent me a oil change kit and a bag of push pins. He also contacted someone at quality control especially about the bolt in the frame that wasn't torqued. Hopefully this is it and I don't run into anything else.

View attachment 324270 View attachment 324271
Return it and buy a Yamaha

R

Rumbles1960

Jan 28, 2022
LaSalle, Ontario
Ownership

1. 520
Well the last Yamaha I bought new was a Kodiak 450, the motor vibrated so badly it wasn't fun to ride at all. We put up with it on our farm for a couple of years and got rid of it to get a Honda 420, there is no comparison in the two machines. The Honda has been a pleasure to have around and will likely be around for another 10 years. Not looking to get in a pissing match Honda vs Yamaha, I have been a satisfied owner of many Yamaha products. The issues I'm having with my Pioneer are going to be sorted out and I'm sure it will stand up to the reputation it has earned over many years of service.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well the last Yamaha I bought new was a Kodiak 450, the motor vibrated so badly it wasn't fun to ride at all. We put up with it on our farm for a couple of years and got rid of it to get a Honda 420, there is no comparison in the two machines. The Honda has been a pleasure to have around and will likely be around for another 10 years. Not looking to get in a pissing match Honda vs Yamaha, I have been a satisfied owner of many Yamaha products. The issues I'm having with my Pioneer are going to be sorted out and I'm sure it will stand up to the reputation it has earned over many years of service.
I have an 08 Honda Rancher that has been totally reliable. Never liked the electronic shifting, always felt jerky and harsh. I like it even less after driving my Wolverine.

Reactions: Backwoods
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a '94 Honda Fourtrax 300. Still going strong. The only times I have needed to use the little tool kit that came with the machine (the same identical little tool kit also came with my '21 HP1K-3!) was when a Polaris or Yamaha machine needed it... the Arctic Cat 4 wheelers needed it a lot!

Reactions: Dave75
Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Is the Wolverine MSRP under $10,000?
The Wolverine should be better, it’s a lot more money.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Is the Wolverine MSRP under $10,000?
The Wolverine should be better, it’s a lot more money.
Add the roof, power steering, winch and decent shocks, which the Wolverine comes with and the price is not that different.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Add the roof, power steering, winch and decent shocks, which the Wolverine comes with and the price is not that different.
That is great if you have the money up front to buy the Wolverine.
P520 owners like myself buy a few options over the years.
Good for you having the money to buy a Wolverine, I don’t.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
This is nothing negative at Jerryg.
Anyone that has the money for a bigger/better UTV, good for them.
That is what makes the USA great.
The other side of the coin owners like myself are just happy to have a UTV like the P520.
The P520 is not the best, but does the job and make a lot of owners happy.
Again the the Wolverine is better.
I still would buy the P520 for the lower MSRP and add options over time.

2021: tires, roof, plow and winch.
2022: WE shocks and ?

As for power steering, I don’t need that yet. It’s nice there is an option for the future.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is nothing negative at Jerryg.
Anyone that has the money for a bigger/better UTV, good for them.
That is what makes the USA great.
The other side of the coin owners like myself are just happy to have a UTV like the P520.
The P520 is not the best, but does the job and make a lot of owners happy.
Again the the Wolverine is better.
I still would buy the P520 for the lower MSRP and add options over time.

2021: tires, roof, plow and winch.
2022: WE shocks and ?

As for power steering, I don’t need that yet. It’s nice there is an option for the future.
It doesn't mater if you ride a pogo stick as long as it's in the woods, Happy Trails!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This reminds me of the good ole days when the site was fairly new, when it would get slow I would go to the P5 area and say ugly things about the P5's, man it was like stoping on a ant hill, here they come, sure livened up those slow nights here, I think the P5 group had a lynch mob out for me for a while! HA!

D

driller

Feb 19, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 520
Hmmm, I thought maybe I missed something, an entry level Yamaha for example when I was shopping?

No doubt the Wolverine is a fine choice, it should be for 50% more money. I wasn't interested in a payment plan, I just wanted a basic side by side for chores with a bit of 'recreation' and the Pioneer 520 checked all the boxes. And I did not want a belt drive, period. Even if there was a comparative machine for less money with a CVT, it would've had to have been a LOT less money to coerce me.

My 2 cents.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d be more upset if you expected Eye controled Bluetooth range finding self adjusting auto chain gun cannons in 20mm Oerlikon and they forgot to install them…yes, then I’d be really upset…
Of course, either version is totally acceptable…

5BE4B140 8AAA 4D3F A283 BCB931BA05B8 FCB6A0EF 6A10 4892 BC03 1D820134935C

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The issue is not that the P500/520 is an inadequate machine.

The issue is Honda quality control, it has gone off the rails.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!